Trip Planning Resources
Here are some of our favorite trip planning resources. These are curated by our staff and include products we’ve personally used and recommend.
- Gaia GPS Software – online mapping, beautiful map layers, premium version, very nice user interface, powerful route planning features, GPS import/export, desktop and mobile versions, and regular updates. In addition to route planning, we use this for real-time navigation on a smartphone as well.
- Guthook Guides – trail resources for popular long-distance trails.
- Orbit – a smartphone app used to monitor satellite positions, which can help optimize your use of a satellite communicator or GPS device.
- Windy and Meteoblue – wind and weather forecasting.
Gear for Navigation and Trip Planning
- Garmin inReach Mini – the lightest and most reliable satellite communicator.
- Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar Outdoor Watch – integrates with the Mini, offers tracking, fitness monitoring, altimeter & GPS, solar-power, and more.
- Navigating with turn-by-turn directions
- Podcast 005 | Navigation
- Navigation & GPS Smartphone Apps Reviews and Gear Guide
- Resources, Tools, and Processes for Planning Non-Technical Off-Trail Routes
What are your Favorites?
Share your favorite trip planning resources, books, gear, and more in the forums below!
DISCLOSURE (Updated November 7, 2019)
- Some (but not all) of the links on this page may be “affiliate” links. If you click on one of these links and visit one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently place an order with that retailer, we receive a small commission. These commissions help us provide authors with honoraria, fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!