Employment at Backpacking Light
We help people thrive outdoors (our purpose) because we believe connectedness to nature makes humans better (our core belief).
Learning about outdoor gear and mastering outdoor skills online is difficult because so much information is created with commercial bias or by people who lack expertise or experience. Backpacking Light Membership provides access to trusted expertise so outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy the backcountry with confidence.
Backpacking Light offers both W2 (payrolled) and 1099 (independent contractor) opportunities to people who can help us accomplish our purpose, believe in our core belief, and want to help our customers access information and education they can trust.
We are looking for employees who are:
- Critical thinkers
- Creative educators
- Driven to execute
Backpacking Light offers W2 (payrolled employees) the following benefits to both full-time and part-time employees:
- Minimum starting wages commensurate with local living wage guidelines
- Guaranteed annual cost of living wage increases
- Remote work opportunities with flexible work schedules
- Flexible paid time off to include 2-3 weeks of mandatory PTO + Extended PTO as agreed upon by employee and manager
- Performance compensation opportunities related to both output (work) and revenue sharing
- Health insurance benefits to Colorado employees and health insurance reimbursements to out-of-state employees
- Matching retirement contribution benefits
- Staff Writer (Open as of May 27, 2021) – Should possess strong understanding and depth of knowledge about the lightweight backpacking community and understand the unique nuances of our hiking styles, gear, skills. Most writing will be assignment-based writing with the goal of providing value to our Members. Content marketers and SEO optimizers need not apply. Remote work OK.
- Outdoor Skills Educator (Open as of May 27, 2021) – Should possess strong verbal and visual communications skills and the ability to articulate complex or advanced topics to a layperson audience. Will be delivering educational content in both pre-recorded and live online formats using a combination of video and presentation software. Remote work OK, some travel to Montana, Wyoming and/or Colorado may be required (paid by company). Includes the opportunity to work as a Backpacking Guide in our Wilderness Adventures Program.
- Equipment Performance and Materials Tester (Open as of May 27, 2021) – Should have a Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM field, or be a student working towards same in their Junior or Senior year. Involves experimental and apparatus design for evaluating the comparative performance between different makes/models of outdoor equipment and/or materials (e.g., textiles). Areas to study will include (but not be limited to) apparel, stoves, water treatment, backpack suspensions. Remote work OK, some travel to Laramie, WY or Estes Park, CO may be required.
How To Apply
Send an email to [email protected] and include the following information:
- Contact Info: First and Last Name, Email, Phone, City and State of Residence, and Links to Social Media Profiles
- Cover Letter (as email body)
- CV/Resume (PDF attachment preferred)
- Your pay requirements.
- Answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to work for Backpacking Light?
- What is your backpacking experience?
- What are your personal core values?