Topic

phones with built in satellite communication?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) phones with built in satellite communication?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/08/29/iphone-13-will-support-satellite-communications-says-ming-chi-kuo

speculates that new iphone will have built in satellite communication

then other phones will follow?

this would be better than an Inreach.  I wonder what the subscription fee would be.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I will guess any new satellite function will be data only and not voice?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yes please.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Don’t believe most things you read on AppleInsider about future products. That story doesn’t even link to the original report, and there are so many weasel words and indirections (“chip that Apple is predicted to be using,” “He bases this on Qualcomm’s work with Globalstar”) that I’m sorely tempted to call bullpucky. Especially if Globalstar is involved, with ancient technology and a business model teetering on bankruptcy for years.

I’ve lost track of the number of new sat comm companies that made big splashes, then sank without a trace. Can’t remember the name of one of the latest, which planned to launch a gazillion satellites (naturally) truly acting as cell-phone towers in the sky, using the same frequencies. Good luck getting THAT past AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon, and through FCC approval, plus dozens of other countries. And some of the world’s most populous nations have no interest in unfettered Internet access, shrinking the market further.

The physics of voice, data, or SMS between a smartphone and a satellite is very, very challenging. There used to be (haven’t checked in a while) a few devices you could attach or pair with a smartphone for satellite voice. They were larger, with extending antennas, heavier, and had yet another battery to keep charged. Less than ideal for backpacking.

I’ve been following satellite communications for decades, and wrote three BPL stories on the topic in 2013. (One, two, three). Except for some newer gadgets and the demise of one system, not much has changed. It still costs way too much money and time to build, launch, and operate satellites, whether big or small, to serve a shrinking percentage of the population that doesn’t have cell service.

Somebody will post “But what about Starlink?” That system is (currently) designed for relatively big, power-hungry ground terminals that would hardly work for lightweight backpacking. Musk will need to pull another rabbit out of the hat to make Starlink work on normal smartphones.

Sorry for the rant. I read too much baloney from this industry on a regular basis.

— Rex

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Gawd, I hope not… dread the day that I am hiking along and have to listen to people jabbering on their phones while they clog the trails… and tops of peaks…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yes that is a nightmare.

I just like the idea of leaving the InReach at home.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The Iridium Go! is still around, I think. It was rather fun reading through that thread … the more things change….

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

“There are at least two emergency features that will rely on satellite networks, and while satellite technology has been in the works for years, these capabilities are not likely to launch in 2021.

The first feature, Emergency Message via Satellite, is designed to let users text emergency services and contacts using a satellite network when there is no signal available, and it will be integrated into the Messages app as a third communications protocol alongside SMS and iMessage. It will feature gray message bubbles rather than green or blue, and message length will be restricted.

The second feature will let users report major emergencies like plane crashes and fires using satellite networks. It will be similar to a “911” call in the U.S. and can provide information like a user’s location and medical ID, in addition to alerting emergency contacts.”

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/08/30/apple-emergency-satellite-features-iphones/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-30/apple-plans-to-add-satellite-features-to-iphones-for-emergencies

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

This would be cool, but I can’t really see it happening because a huge portion of their customer base wouldn’t need it yet they’d have to add the cost/weight to every phone. It seems like we’d see it appear first on more of a niche ‘outdoor adventurer’ phone and then maybe down the road it would go mainstream enough.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Many news sites, including Appleinsider, are rapidly walking back that story. Seems the original analyst didn’t understand the difference between Globalstar terrestrial frequencies and satellite frequencies, among other problems. And in the rush to publish click-bait headlines, a bunch of other reporters didn’t check either.

Always believe everything you read on the Internet. Or not.

— Rex

My dad worked in the newspaper industry. For many years he said that “the Government wouldn’t let us publish a story unless it was true.” I was a young adult before I realized he was pulling my leg.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I hope not. I like the InReach. I can communicate if I have to. But its hard enough I save it for emergencies or really important stuff.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The coverage of Apple products by the socalled tech news outlets is woefully inadequate.  They simply chase and repeat and recycle rumors until Apple releases a press release.

I looked far and wide for a technical analysis of the Apple M1 chip and found only repeated text from the Apple news releases and the photo Apple released.  In the end I had to rely on Wikipedia for a description of the PCIe and GPU interfaces.

DeeDawg
    BPL Member

@deedawg

Anyone have any experience using the iPhone 14 or 15 built in satellite communicator?
    I’m wondering if I should upgrade to the 14 or 15 or stick with my existing iPhone XR and get a dedicated unit?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I read that the Apple phones only communicate text to the satellite.  No communication back to phone.  Good for an emergency.

My Inreach does two way communication.  I can let my wife know where I’m at, and she can let me know things are okay.  Once, she had a minor problem so I came home a day early.

I read that Samsung is trying to do two way communication.  The current S23 doesn’t do anything.  They thought the soon to be released S24 won’t have anything either – too difficult at this time.  They thought Samsung will have it for S25.

Maybe someone can answer your question about iphone 14 or 15 : )

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

DeeDawg, there are lots of reasons to upgrade to a 15 Pro from an XR, particularly if you like camera and battery life. That’s said, I haven’t heard anyone suggest that Apple’s satellite capabilities are anything like what an InReach can do in an emergency. It’s definitely not capable of sending non-emergency messages if that is useful to you.

DeeDawg
    BPL Member

@deedawg

Thanks Jerry & Matthew.  I’ve been doing more research.  I’m leaning towards a new iPhone for a couple of reasons:  my XR battery life is waning so I will need a new one, I always have the phone with me.  I live in a rural area without cellular service anyway.  The chances of me carrying two devices 24/7 are slim to none.

Also, the SOS satellite roadside assistance feature of the new iPhones (assuming you have AAA or similar) seems good to have.

I suppose I can always get a dedicated device later.

Thanks again!

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

That looks pretty good – 2 way sat.  I wonder what the monthly charge for sat messages is

That looks like a pretty current phone.  Good price.  Never heard of that manufacturer.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Licensed by Caterpillar. It’s the Bullitt Group. Import only.

https://bullitt-group.com/

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Caterpillar…licenses a phone…????! Maybe it’s really good in snow and mud?

Made by Bullitt…I thought Steve McQueen had died.

Somehow I’m sticking with my Iphone 7, which I got for a great price. But yes, the 15 has an excellent camera.

It’s possible to simply replace the battery on these phones and not purchase a new one.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

It’s Motorola.

Glen L
    Spectator

@wyatt-carson

Locale: Southern Arizona

When it comes to cameras I had an iPhone 7+ and took a lot of super photos but the iPhone 14 Pro Max is light years ahead with it seriously better sensors, lenses, simply better cameras all around. The macro function is something that the 7 couldn’t do. I use that all the time. Haven’t had to use the satellite connectivity yet.  Mostly the cameras, some nav work and some use of the plant Id books for the most part.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I have an iPhone 14+.  The satellite function works well.  You can go through a tutorial of the emergency function where it transmits to and receives response via satellite.  Also there have been a few articles where the author was permitted to use the two-way text communication with emergency services.

There is just one non-emergency satellite function currently available- the “Find My” location.  I typically use it just for practice when hitting the turn-around point during day hikes.  (I haven’t backpacked since getting the phone).  My son used it to provide his camp location on a backpack trip which was nice.

Function is very easy, it tells you which direction to point the phone and gives a confirmation when the position is updated.  People you have authorized to see your location will see it as “Location Sent via Satellite” with graphical location and time.  I couldn’t figure out how to get exact geographic coordinates which could be tricky in areas where the map doesn’t show much detail.

There was buzz about a paid service for non-emergency two-way communication but I don’t think anything materialized.

Check out this CNET article about the lack of movement in smartphone satellite communication.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

thanks, good article

“a recent SamMobile report suggested that functionality it’s coming in the rumored Samsung Galaxy S24 expected early next year.”

I read a rumor that S24 doesn’t have satellite : )

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

T-Mobile just launched a couple low orbit  satellites designed to relay texts.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/first-spacex-satellites-launch-for-breakthrough-direct-to-cell-service-with-t-mobile

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools