Episode 69 | Ultralight Shelters in Inclement Weather
In today’s episode of the Backpacking Light podcast, we’re going to talk about gear and skills for pitching ultralight shelters in inclement conditions – rain, snow, wind, and cold.
In this Episode:
- What is Inclement Weather?
- How the structure of a shelter affects its performance in inclement weather.
- Choosing your campsite based on terrain and height above the ground.
- Pitching a shelter for stability in inclement weather.
- The downsides to shock cord for guyline tie-outs.
- Comparing different shapes and materials for tent stakes.
- Major issues regarding shelters when used in inclement weather.
- See how an ultralight shelter behaves in a violent storm.
- Check out BPL Author Roger Caffin’s Tunnel Tent.
- Learn more about the Locus Gear Khufu tent in our Gear Shop.
- Read about tent stake holding power and what makes the best tent stakes, or join the discussion in the BPL forums.
- See the TarpTent DiPole Li Review and Durston X-mid Pro Review.
- Member Q&A: Choosing an ultralight shelter for backpacking.
- Enroll in our online course Backpacking in Inclement Conditions.
About the Backpacking Light Podcast
- Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | RSS
Feedback, Questions, Tips?
- Submit them via email or Twitter and get featured on our next podcast!
- Backpacking Light - Executive Producer
- Ryan Jordan - Director and Host
- Chase Jordan - Producer
- Look for Me in the Mountains - Music
- Written by: Chris Cunningham and Ryan Jordan
- Performed by: Chris Cunningham (acoustic guitar, lead and harmony vocals, harmonica), Chad Langford (upright bass), and Tom Murphy (mandolin).
- Produced by: Basecamp Studios in Bozeman, Montana
- This episode of the Backpacking Light Podcast is supported and kept advertising-free by Backpacking Light membership fees. Please consider becoming a member which helps support projects like this podcast, in addition to a whole slew of other benefits!
You can contact us at [email protected], or follow us on social media -
- Backpacking Light - Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Ryan Jordan - Instagram | Twitter | WWW
- Chase Jordan - WWW
- Some links on this page may be “affiliate” links. If you click on one of these links and visit one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently place an order with that retailer, we receive a small commission. These commissions help us provide authors with honoraria, fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!
Home › Forums › Episode 69 | Ultralight Shelters in Inclement Weather