Topic

Jetboil Stash

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Jetboil Stash

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Just in case you had not heard about it.  Not affiliated or endorsing this product, just an FYI.

MSRP: $129.95
    Weight: 7.1 oz
    Boil time: 2.5 minutes
    Capacity: 0.8 L

YouTube video

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

5 Highlights New JetBoil STASH Backpacking Stove System

JetBoil Performance, Just Lighter: JetBoil STASH is 1/2 the weight of previous JetBoil Stoves yet gives up very little in functionality. In most 3-season conditions you’ll likely see similar performance to heavier JetBoil Stoves with boil times & fuel efficiency similar to our favorite JetBoil, the MiniMo. [Albeit the STASH takes a bit longer to boil 2 cups vs. the sub-2-minutes of the Jetboil Flash. And yes, we tested all this performance this in the field and in the lab.]

Smaller Compact Form: The new STASH is substantially smaller than the Jetboil Flash or MiniMo. We especially like its great internal organization and that nothing rattles around inside the pot. E.g. the fuel canister neatly snaps securely into the lid in exactly the right position to miss the stove burner.

Universal Pot/Pan compatibility: Unlike other JetBoils, the JetBoil STASH’s new burner will work with any pot or pan without the need for an adapter. E.g. super nice if you also bring a small frying pan.

Pot Stability: The JetBoil STASH’s new burner pot support arms have a notch that interlocks with the flux-ring on the bottom of the pot. This makes it hard to accidentally knock the pot off the stove.

Amazing, Ultralight Coffee: The STASH with a 1.5 oz French Press attachment makes amazing, barista-quality backcountry coffee! The whole STASH cooking system (pot + burner) with the Jetboil Grande Silicone Coffee Press attachment is only 9 ounces. That total JetBoil system is about 3 ounces lighter than just the GSI Outdoors Java Press which does not include a stove or pot to boil water.

https://www.adventurealan.com/product/jetboil-stash-review-backpacking-stove

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

My concern is that burner head.  I’m disappointed that there’s no lip or any sort of wind protection for the burner flame, and performance will suffer under breezy conditions.  MSR finally got it right with the PocketRocket Deluxe, and so has Soto with the Amicus.  Why couldn’t Jetboil do the same?

Burner

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Many in my former backpacking group loved the original Jetboil for its fuel economy on weeklong trips (like the Tonto trail in Grand Canyon).   If this gives a similar performance at a lower weight, I’d consider it when returning to weeklong trips.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Wind test needed. With that burner I am not convinced it will be great and boil times in a closed room won’t mean much.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Well, from the Jetboil website, here is your answer…  No ambiguity here!

Jetboil

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Looks like a poor attempt by Jetboil at a lighter stove system. In addition to the comments on wind performance, the burner looks too far from the bottom of the pot for best fuel economy. And there’s no piezo.

I don’t understand why Jetboil hasn’t evolved their current stove. There’s a lot of plastic to be removed and even some galvanized steel. Remove the excess junk, make the stove titanium, shorten the pot a little, get rid of the cozy handle and heavy lid, and Jetboil should easily be able to hit 8oz for a very fast and efficient stove.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

John:

Not sure if you weren’t paying attention, but the new stove (burner) is made out of titanium, and the whole kit weighs 7.1oz (without the optional coffee press thingy).

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Re wind

Chris Townsend’s first look:

https://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/review/jetboil-stash-stove-system-first-look/

Jetboil says it “performs on-par with similar canister stoves in wind”, which is true, like them it performs poorly. In anything more than a light breeze a windscreen is needed. 

:)

The pan looks great. Light for a HE and good shape/size. Ti Stove to fit looks good too.

I’ve been using a Soto WM, with a modded JB pot for a water boiler for nearly 3  years now.  Best efficiency and speed combo out of all my gas stoves.    The Stash uses a lighter and better pot. I like the look.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
    Benjamin H
    BPL Member

@benjaminhasakigmail-com-2

Any possibly for dry baking and or creating a diffuser plate that allows you to dry bake with it?

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Wind test needed. With that burner I am not convinced it will be great and boil times in a closed room won’t mean much.

I’d like to see its boil time compared to the much loved Soto in calm and wind.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

My Jetboil Ti weighs 8.6 oz’s stripped down. I suspect the stash could gt closer to 6oz’s with ditching the orange plastic stand (I never carry the stand anyway).

What I’d like to know is if the pot is available without the stove… I can think of at least one stove that would put the burner closer to the bottom of the pot, which may or may not help with wind and/or boil times…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve been using Soto Windmaster and Pocket Rocket Deluxe, both with raised edge so they’re better in the wind

But, only a little better.  I still need a windscreen.  And if I have a windscreen, it doesn’t matter much if it has a raised edge.

So, I’d argue the raised edge doesn’t matter too much

Yet, It doesn’t add significant weight or manufacturing difficulty so they ought to make stoves with the raised edge

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

bradmacmt – I also have the Titanium Jetboil.  I guard that thing like it’s made of gold!  lol

With the advent of the Stash, maybe I don’t have.  So far I haven’t seen anyone talk about simmerering in the Stash, which would be interesting to see.  We’re normally freezer bag cooking type people but occasionally I have a need for simmering.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

bradmacmt – I also have the Titanium Jetboil. I guard that thing like it’s made of gold! lol

Me as well! The critical thing is NEVER, EVER cook in it… boil H2O only. I learned this the hard way with my first one when I melted the fins. JB replaced the pot under warranty.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

I’ve been using Soto Windmaster and Pocket Rocket Deluxe, both with raised edge so they’re better in the wind

While I’ve never used the Soto, I do own the Pocket Rocket Deluxe and don’t find it very good in the wind at all relative to my Jetboils.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

LOL – I too have a Jetboil Ti and treat it like a museum piece…like the Ferrari in Ferris Bueller.  I typically take an alcohol setup if I’m going solo and only pull out the Jetboil if I’m responsible for boiling water for others in addition to myself.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The Sterno Inferno pot can boil 2 cups of water and weighs 4.4oz without the lid: https://www.amazon.com/Sterno-70138-Stove-Size-Multicolor/dp/B0169ZDUOM

Do something similar to what was shown here and you can end up with a very similar system to the Stash: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/does-a-soto-amicus-fit-a-jetboil-cup/

Total weight will be close, and by using a Soto Amicus, Soto Windmaster, or MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe, you will likely have better wind performance and you get piezo ignition. Wind performance may be further improved over the Stash since the bottom of the pot can help shield the burner a little from the wind.

So yes, I think Jetboil could have done better :)  But maybe their pot is lighter than the Sterno Inferno without the extra accessories, and maybe Jetboil will sell it separately. That could be an improvement.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Jerry et al., I’ll concede that the little lip on the Soto Windmaster and MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe doesn’t make a huge difference – when there’s no wind.

But that it makes a significant difference when you actually have wind.

In our wind tests, the Soto Windmaster and MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe pretty much mowed over everything else.

Add large water volumes and/or cold temperatures to the wind, when the stove has to run for longer periods of time, and the importance of that little lip becomes even more clear.

The Jetboil Stash HE pot will help, but it won’t solve any problems that a light windscreen won’t if you do take this stove in the wind. Roger’s data helps support this.

I no longer use a windscreen with my MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe. For the vast majority of conditions, it’s just not necessary and sort of cancels out the benefits of using a light, simple stove system like an upright canister.

I’m putting together a review of the Stash, but I wouldn’t hold your breath too much on any sort of earth-shattering performance.

Bottom line: the Jetboil Stash integrates a light HE pot with a mediocre stove burner, and isn’t recommended for inclement conditions use without a windscreen.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Sadly, my Sol Ti looks worse than @bradmacmt’s, with strips of the fins now peeling off.  My wife loves that stove and pot.  Can anyone confirm that the pot and fins are actually both aluminum?  I’m assuming so.  The weight of the Stash is appealing.  I believe Adventure Alan indicated that the 7.1 oz DID NOT include the weight of the stabilizer.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

NM.  AA indicates it is aluminum.  Looking forward to the review.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Good feedback Ryan.  I agree with your over-all conclusion, Windmaster and Pocket Rocket Deluxe are the best stoves.

When I used them in the wind, the flame got blown around and efficiency seemed to go down, but I wasn’t real scientific about it.  With windscreen they worked better.

This is what’s good about BPL.  Sometimes opinions are somewhat contradictory.  Someone can try them with and without windscreen and do what works for them.  It depends on the conditions you experience.  And the whim of each of us : )

Picture of stove in wind without windscreen.  You can barely see the blue flame being blown sideways:

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

According to their FAQ site

The pot is aluminum, not titanium

Additionally, the stove output is about 1/2 that of a Jetboil Flash at 4,500 BTU/hr (not 9,000)

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@bradmacmt

Is the fuel stabilizer included in the weight of the Stash? No. Similar to the rest of the Jetboil product line, the fuel stabilizer is not included in the weight.

7.1 oz is without the fuel can stabilizer.

I’d rather pair my Soto Amicus with the Stashes HE pot if I needed to but the boil times with my Toaks 550ml pot are good as is.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools