Topic

Jetboil Stash

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Jetboil Stash

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Kent W
    BPL Member

@goatlegs1987

The Stash pot appears to weigh exactly the same as my museum piece Sol Ti pot. But the Stash appears to be a more convenient size/shape.

Interesting, but not compelling. Adventure Alan loves it, but I don’t share his enthusiasm I’m afraid…

Kent

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Is the fuel stabilizer included in the weight of the Stash? No.

Brad W thanks. Wasn’t aware of this.

Seems to me if Jetboil would put a bit of a ring around the burner ala MSR they’d have something.

Still, IME, nothing really beats the Jetboil Ti for wind performance and miserly fuel consumption vs. weight.

And having both versions of the MSR Pocketrocket, I remain unconvinced a non-jetboilesque stove can compete over many days fuel w/ efficiency vs weight over the Jetboil Ti.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

It all depends on how much water you boil.  I did the calculations for me, who only boils about 12oz of water per day, and at least up to 14 days the Jetboil Ti didn’t make since.  The only time I ever had the calcs in the Jetboil’s favor were when there were two of us on a two week trip without resupply sharing a stove.

Now for people that boil a lot of water with a hot breakfast and coffee and the morning and dinner and tea at night, a heavier but more fuel efficient stove becomes the logical choice faster.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I was initially excited to read that JetBoil has a new stove.   Too bad they haven’t done anything to make the whole design more wind resistant, and that I think is a deal breaker.  The Soto stoves and new MSR design that have the recessed burner heads are just better in any kind of moving air, especially when paired with some kind of heat exchanger pot.

Finally, a new piece of gear that I don’t feel compelled to run out and buy!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

“Finally, a new piece of gear that I don’t feel compelled to run out and buy!”

Me too!  I’m relieved actually.

My Soto Windmaster and 130mm 0.9L Toaks pot will boil 16 oz of 60 degree water in less than 90 seconds.  Combining the WM with a wide pot practically defines efficiency WRT size, weight, cost, speed.  I also am a big fan of the UL 3-legged pot stand…the 4 legged one is for me just needless complication.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I  love all this stove minutiae gathered in controlled conditions… in the real world, above timberline in wind, the Jetboil rules IME.

Kent W
    BPL Member

@goatlegs1987

I’d be interested in getting a Stash pot, to pair with my BRS. I would expect that might be be a competitive setup for group trips.  Maybe they’ll sell “replacement” or “companion” pots at some point. I have no interest in the 2 oz Ti burner or any of the other claptrap that comes with the kit.

Stephen Murphy
    BPL Member

@sjtm

Still using my Jetboil TI.  As configured in my pack. comes in at just over 10 oz with scrub pad AND stabilizer, I have been mainly eating  Peak Refuel meals which only use one cup of water.  This takes me less than 90 second to bring to a boil.

Kent W
    BPL Member

@goatlegs1987

My stripped down jetboil Sol Ti with the stock burner comes in at 7 oz total. So no weight advantage for the Stash there. If I use a BRS3000t and Ti riser instead of the stock burner, the weight drops significantly (5.4oz) for very little efficiency hit. Nice try Jetboil, but not for me. I’m sure they’ll sell like hotcakes to the newbie backpacker set. Like others, I wish they’d protected that burner from the wind better.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Ruta Locura no longer appears to make the insert for the Jetboil/BRS-3000t combo.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Ruta Locura no longer appears to make the insert for the Jetboil/BRS-3000t combo.

Snagged me one of these right after he stopped making them. Emailed and asked if he’d be willing and he was

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Looking at the marketing history of Jetboil, chances are they will not be selling the HE pot separately any time soon if at all. Years ago I considered the Optimus/Olicamp HE pot, but they weighed twice as much as a Ti pot. The Olicamp Ti stove (1.7 oz) and XT HE pot (6.7) totals 8.4 oz. for $70. The Optimus Crux stove/HE set weighs 9.7 oz., goes for $80. I would not be surprised if Soto came out with their own HE pot in a kit with the Amicus/WM similar to Olicamp setup. Soto seems to be pretty heads-up in the game. Note that Soto offers their Micro Regulator stove (2.6 oz) and accessory clip-on windscreen (19 grams). As far as I know this setup has not been tested by any known sources.

Sure would be nice to have a HE pot, but I’m pretty darn happy with my Amicus/.75 Pasta Pot setup as are others with similar setup. But yep, a UL HE pot would be the bees knees combined with the Soto and PR Deluxe stoves. What would such a pot weigh, 5 oz.? For longer trips (10 days?) the heavier UL HE pot may offset the weight difference of less gas needed. Someone will figure out where the cross-over point is I’m quite sure!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

“I  love all this stove minutiae gathered in controlled conditions… “

I have never used the Windmaster in anywhere other that in the field. Any stats or experience I have reported are from real world usage in temps from 25F to 60F and wind speeds from dead calm to 20 mph.

Windmaster w/Triflex: 2.3 oz
    Toaks D130 0.9L pot with lid: 3.7 oz
    Total: 6 oz

I’m sure the Jetboil performs admirably, especially in the conditions for which it was designed.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Thanks, Roger. Looks like over the last 10-12 years that stoves have progressed, pots have not for the most part.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Well, there are so many complexities and variables in a stove to play with, but pots … not so many.

My own very biased opinion is that having a lid on the pot and a good all-round windshield are actually a lot more effective – plus never running the stove flat out because then half the hot air is lost up the side of the pot and wasted. My 2c.

Cheers

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Spot on Roger.  Here is a recent video where a gentleman is attempting to compare the Stash to other stoves.  His test shows that the Stash was twice as fuel efficient as other stoves.  That being said, when you look at the actual data, he was consuming about 10 grams of fuel to boil 500 ml of water with the other stoves.  Additionally, the stove for the Stash has a lower output than most stoves.  That probably makes it easier to control the fuel efficiency.

My take away was that he had the stoves turned up way to high as 10 grams to boil 500 ml is way too much fuel.  In general, most canister topped stove use about 5-7 grams to boil 500 ml.  If he lowered the output the results would be a lot closer.

YouTube video

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

My take away was that he had the stoves turned up way to high as 10 grams to boil 500 ml is way too much fuel. In general, most canister topped stove use about 5-7 grams to boil 500 ml.
    Agree. I use ~10 g to boil ~800 mL for morning tea for the two of us.

But marketing enthusiasts need to manipulate the figures to get the results they want. And sometimes the hordes believe them.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

WHAT?? “Never, ever cook in it.”!!

Well that’s one stove setup ‘ll never be using B/C I actually cook 30% of my meals.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Eric – that advice was for the JetBoil Sol Ti.  The bit of titanium where the heatsink fins are welded to the bottom of the pot get hot.  You can actually see bubbles forming in a ring pattern on the bottom of the pot, because the Titanium conducts and spreads out the heat so poorly.

Here’s a picture of the warnings on the side of the pot.  No food cooking.  Not even snow melting!

I own one of Roger’s earlier remote stoves with the FMS-116t burner head.  I prefer to use it with a 1L Evernew titanium pot due to its versatility, but my wife still prefers the Jetboil Sol Ti for its simplicity and ease of use.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

The fins on my Jetboil Sol Ti dissolved into ash just through boiling water.

I switched to an aluminum 0.8L HE pot from Jetboil that works with the set from Ruta Locura. The weight is about the same as the new Stash. The Stash will have much less fiddle factor in its favor, but the 0.8L pot of the Jetboil Sol / Ruta Locura set up will fit 2 100 gram canisters, while the Stash only fits one. I’ve used that combo for up to three weeks consecutive (theoretically should go at least 24 days, 12 days per canister) at altitudes above 2000 meters to boil water for dinners.

Scott S
    BPL Member

@seascout

What windscreens, if any, do folks use with the Pocket Rocket deluxe?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I used to be a windscreen fan, it’s fun to tinker, save weight, and improve efficiency. Now, I shy away from them to avoid the fiddle factor, especially in the conditions when you need it the most – high winds.

Saving tenths of ounces (or even a few ounces) of fuel over the course of a trip isn’t really worth it to me anymore. I want fast, simple, and reliable cooking in windy conditions.

That said, of course, I’ll always try to tuck out of Big Wind in a copse of trees or behind a rock, etc., to cook, but it’s really difficult to avoid the ground breeze of 5-10 mph that comes with even a protected location in a windy area.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

@seascout …..Ocelot: PocketRocket 2 & PocketRocket Deluxe

https://www.flatcatgear.com/shop/ocelot-pr2/

Test location:  My basement at 69.4*F

TEST #1 – WINDSCREEN & MSR POCKET ROCKET DELUXE
    3 CUPS WATER
    START TEMP 72*F
    END TEMP 212*F

START FUEL 94 g
    END FUEL 87 g
    CONSUMED 7 g

END TEMP TIME….4 min 18 sec

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Could be difficult finding water in the mountains that is as warm as 72 F. Better allow a just a little more fuel in the field.

Question: 3 cups – but what size cup? A ‘Standard Cup’ in the kitchen is 250 mL, but who takes a cup that small into the field? Ours are 375 mL.

Very seldom that I ever run a stove without a good windscreen around it.

All just my 2c.

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools