Topic

Jetboil Stash

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Jetboil Stash

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

@rcaffin  “Could be difficult finding water in the mountains that is as warm as 72 F. Better allow a just a little more fuel in the field.”

>>>Correct,  as this was used a ambient control test as I used the Ocelot Wind Screen in the field on North Manitou Island in September to observe the difference.

What Size Cup: 1 Cup  8 fluid ounces / 237 ml  in US Standard Volume measurements.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Another factor to consider is where “cold soak” or pre-cold soak systems come in to it for you and the meals you cook. Like many I’ve fallen in love with my Vargo Bot 700. Extra weight vs a standard pot, but, it allows cold soaking as well as being a useable pot (vs a plastic container), and bonus extra water carrying capacity if you need. Jetboil Stash pot weight 120g (per Jetboil-inc lid?), Bot 700 weight 125g inc lid. I haven’t done a measurement yet but cold soaking a meal and then just warming it up a bit once you are ready to eat requires very little burn time on low heat (can’t use hot heat or you’ll burn your food once its pre-soaked…trust me!). Maybe a gram or two max? No need to take it up to boiling temps, just enough to make it a happy eating temp and/or finish off the last bit of rehydration.

… does a HE Pot beat out a cold soak capable pot for fuel efficiency, or total mass over x days? Does adding a windscreen such as Ocelot improve the chances for the cold soak pot in the average of conditions (I doubt it)?

Of course for hot drinks cold soaking does you no favours (hehe).

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I just compared the Stash to my Sol Aluminum.

Started with 2 cups (0.47 L) of 40 F (4.4 C) water. Timed from placing filled pot on running burner to rolling boil. I did this once without timing, let everything cool and equilibrate, and did it again, timed. Indoors, calm air.

Sol Al 2:29

Stash 4:13

They appeared to use the same amount of fuel. One canister started at 127 g before the test and was 116 g after (both boils). The other went from 128 g also down to 116 g. Both canisters were Jetboil 100 g.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Also, stove weight comparison:

Sol Al- 357 g (pot with cozy sleeve, bottom cup, burner, lid, canister tripod support)

Stash- 237 g (bare pot, burner with storage bag, lid, canister tripod support)

I carry a mini Bic in with all my stoves so I left that out for comparison, though only 1 of these 2 stoves actually require an independent ignition source.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Does the stash come with its own cozy sleeve? That seemed to help you with faster boil times (or fuel efficiency) than not having one.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

No cozy. I thought the lack of one might be an issue, but the slow boil is due to lower BTU output in the Stash. I’m not sure what the R value of a neoprene cozy is, but it can’t be much.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I thought the Sol and Stash had the same 4500BTU output. Are you just cranking both systems to max for these tests?

spec for Sol system.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-200/Sol-Aluminum-Personal-Cooking-System

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Indoors, calm air.

I think this is key to the performance of the Stash. Given the slightest breeze, I highly doubt the Stash will perform as well as the Sol Al.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Yeah, I had both valves wide open. The Sol was definitely spitting more flame. I don’t think one canister was colder than the other after the first burn. I’ll try it with a newer canister, but that shouldn’t make much of a difference. I was under the impression that they produced different BTUs, but they both seem to be rated 4500.

Jason Brooks
    BPL Member

@drytool

Has anyone replaced the stash burner with a windmaster? To me that would be the ultimate set up. I wish they would sell the stash pot by itself. I get screaming 1:30 boil times with the windmaster and olicamp xts pot, but I wish the pot were the size of the stash pot.

Pithawat V
    BPL Member

@tanvach

Old thread but thought I’ll add – Widesea makes a 0.8l HE pot that’s about the same size as the stash.  You’d need to fashion a custom lid (or take it from another pot) since the ‘lid’ is a another 0.5l pot. The larger pot seems to be around 165g without lid, compared to Stash’s pot which is 131g without lid. It’s around $30 so I’m planning to get one to play around and see if I can pair with my Windmaster for up coming week long trip.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I can test that when I get home on the 18th; I have the pot as well as the Soto WindMaster.   The bottom opening is smaller than the Stash and the Inferno.  The lid of a 1 quart yogurt container seems to fit over the pot.  I bought the AliExpress version if the pot for far less than $30

Pithawat V
    BPL Member

@tanvach

Thanks for the link, I’ll be interested in the results!

Jason Brooks
    BPL Member

@drytool

I use the Jetboil Ti with a Toaks siphon burner and windscreen, and it works fabulously in any conditions, almost as fast as a canister stove.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

The Stash seems to have one of the weakest stoves I have seen. Laughable output compared to the Soto Amicus IME.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Is the stash pot still the lightest one with heat exchanger fins? I’ve been looking for more generic finned pots that I could buy for a custom system using a Windmaster stove.

Brad W- While not as high output, wouldn’t that mean it is running at a higher efficiency when set to full blast? With the system being more efficient, I can see how that makes sense to not jettison all the heat away in a jet after-burner. :)

Pithawat V
    BPL Member

@tanvach

From my research I believe the Stash pot is the lightest that’s commercially available right now. Mostly due to other pots being smaller in volume (0.8l vs 1l+). The Widesea is the same volume but around 1 oz / 30g heavier and doesn’t come with a lid.

I’ve seen people mentioned Sterno Inferno pot (discontinued). Weight seems to be the same as the Stash but it’s not hard anodized, prone to melting and you need to find a lid for it: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/104697/page/3/

Maybe the Jetboil Sol Ti pot is lighter but again that model has been discontinued.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Yeah, I might have to just abuse my wallet and go with the Stash kit, then eventually upgrade the burner to a Wind Master. I like the idea of having the igniter built in. REI has their sale on now, so might just roll into there tomorrow and get one. It’s quite an impressive weight savings when the fuel efficiency is taken into account on longer trips.

I think they stopped with the Ti ones because the heat exchange fins couldn’t be properly fused to the pot and were separating after extended use.

Pithawat V
    BPL Member

@tanvach

If you can find the Stash on discount it’s probably the way to go. You can get a tiny windscreen (3g) from Flatcatgear for the Stash in the future if the wind sensitivity becomes an issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxOYtIRz1NI

I’ve already invested in a Windmaster, so going ‘full Stash’ doesn’t make much sense.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Too bad they don’t sell the pot by itself. The Windmaster seems like such an obvious way to go.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@Johan, regardless of full throttle or any throttle, of the people I ate with, their Stash stove was very anemic compared to all the other stoves. It performed worse than a lidded Ti mug and Amicus by a large margin-minutes-boiling the same amount of water. Did it use less fuel but ran twice as long? Not sure, didn’t weight the can.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

IMO, I don’t believe that the power is the issue.  In calm conditions, the stash boils water quickly and efficiently.  That being said, above 4 mph wind and the efficacy drops like a rock.  I agree with Ryan that the Stash is a fair-weather stove.

On a side note, take care using an HX pot on top of a canister topped stove that has a large gap between the burner head and the bottom of the pot.  If the wind blows, it can push the flame off of the pot and across the bottom ring of the HX pot.  As this region was not designed to take heat, you can melt the aluminum.

Pithawat V
    BPL Member

@tanvach

Ouch, thanks for giving the heads up Jon!

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

I nuked the fins off one of my pots using an old Peak1 stove – too wide a flame.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

I just decided to go a different route than a heat exchange pot system. I put in an order for the Windmaster burner since I already have a 1L  8″  wide titanium pan that weighs 5.2 ounces. I don’t boil my water, and only use the stove for melting snow, so the wide pan works great for slowly scooping in thin layers of snow as it melts down. Also nice being able to fire it up with the built-in igniter instead of using a lighter or match, which are best kept for backup and emergency use.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools