Topic

Bob Open 2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Open 2017

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

a little snotel update of surrounding sites- we’ve definitely lost some snow in the last month looking at the 30 day reports

Badger Pass 6900′ 62″

Mt Lockhart 6400′ 33″

Pike Ck 5930′ 1″

Dupuyer Ck 5750′ 3″

Waldron 5600′ 0″

Emery Ck 4350′ 0″

going back a month, other than Badger Pass, have all lost 30″+, Badger about 20″

this next week calls for temps below normal, precip above normal- so likely not much additional loss this week

looking a little better than it did a couple of weeks ago anyways

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

It’s too bad there aren’t more Snotel stations on the west side. There is Noisy Basin at 6040′ on the west side of the Hungry Horse reservoir. That station actually has MORE snow than a month ago (103″ vs 94″)

On the east side of the Bob, I’m figuring on snow down to 6000′ on south facing aspects and maybe 5000′ on north facing aspects. The west side there tends to be a lot more snow, so I expect it about 500′ lower.

The NOHRSC snow modelling map is quite helpful for planning:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?ql=station&zoom=&loc=47.021+N%2C+113.653+W&var=ssm_swe&dy=2017&dm=5&dd=17&dh=6&snap=1&o9=1&o12=1&o13=1&lbl=m&mode=pan&extents=us&min_x=-114.43333333333&min_y=47.016666666662&max_x=-111.93333333333&max_y=48.424999999996&coord_x=-113.18333333333&coord_y=47.720833333329&zbox_n=48.17619444444033&zbox_s=47.01823148147681&zbox_e=-112.63177083333&zbox_w=-113.74427083332999&metric=0&bgvar=dem&shdvar=shading&width=800&height=450&nw=800&nh=450&h_o=0&font=0&js=1&uc=0

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Does anyone use Mountain Forecast for planning?

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

We went and explored around the Swan side trailheads this weekend. Hiked up to Pyramid Pass (actually the saddle below Pyramid Peak… some off trail route-finding!) and a few miles up Merrell Creek past the falls. Both had patchy snow above ~5500 and ubiquitous snow above ~6000. Snow was mostly consolidated and we didn’t use snowshoes, but frequently post-holed past our knees in rotten sections. Flurries up there despite beautiful weather in Missoula.

You won’t need more than tin a cup for water storage this year! But it was pretty slow going. GPS or keen route-finding will be important for passes and snow-covered trails that aren’t well traveled.

EDIT: Checking myself…didn’t bring GPS so looking more carefully. Snow at Merrell Creek was probably patchy closer to 5200 and consistent closer to 5500. Consider this beta at your own risk :)

Tanner K
    BPL Member

@tannerk

Tyler, I must have just missed you this weekend. I skied around for a few hours Saturday morning on Pyramid. I imagine you saw my tracks as it didn’t look like anyone has been up there this year after the snowmobiles stopped coming. I’d be hoping for some cold nights in the next couple weeks if I were doing the Open this year. After the warm weather, then rain, the snowpack was pretty wet. Good skiing up high though where the new snow was low density.

Spring on Pyramid pictured below. It’s worth mentioning that this is a south facing aspect. The “Bob Side” of the Swans will have lots more snow.

Dan – this spring feels to me a lot like 2012 so you have some firsthand comparisons with that. There was a lot more water in the rivers and more snow lower in the valleys in 2014 than this year, and neither are close to 2011 which was a huge snow year. I think if  the weather stays moderate so the rivers don’t spike again, conditions will be very similar to 2012.

Have fun and stay safe out there everyone!

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

We did see your tracks, Tanner! Figured only another Bob-er would be up there snooping around. Sounds like we might get some cold weather, so fingers crossed that things firm up.

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Thad and I are headed up in the area this weekend for some scouting/spring black bear hunting and to drop a vehicle off.  We’ll likely check out the area around Sunday Mountain, Morrell Creek and Pyramid.  Any road closures to be aware of in the area?

Tanner K
    BPL Member

@tannerk

John- The trailheads for Morrell Falls and Pyramid Pass are both driveable now. If you’re the first one up the road in the morning it’s kind of nice to have a chain or chainsaw this time of year though. I had to pull a tree off the road Saturday morning on the way to Pyramid Pass trailhead.

I would guess that you won’t be able to drive to the Sunday Mtn trailhead. Each road to get to it crosses north and/or east aspects above 5500′ which I am guessing is impassible. Sometimes you get lucky when you call the Seeley Ranger station (677-2233) and someone is around that has been out on the roads lately. They might not even know where the Sunday trailhead is though.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks for the reconnaissance. If it’s anything like 2012 I’ll be thrilled. Gotta mount the new skis.

I’m pretty set on my ski route now, which has about 50 miles on snow, 10 miles on maybe snow and 30 miles on dirt. Hopefully the snow doesn’t melt much more, as I want continuous snow rather than patchy. Hoping for a 2 day finish.

Doug: I like Mountain-Forecast. They don’t seem to have many of the mtns in the Bob added to their website though. Penrose in Glacier is there:
    https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Penrose-Montana/forecasts/1500

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Tanner- where are the bluebirds and butterflies in the picture?

:)

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Thanks for the info Tanner.  Anybody have any concerns about road conditions to the west fork cabin at the start?  Thinking about bringing the whole fam up Friday evening to camp (and prevent having to leave a car at the start).

Nick Aschenwald
    BPL Member

@n-aschenwald-2

Not able to make the Open this year.

I have been out doing a bunch of spring skiing though.

Here is a pic of the John in the Jewel parking lot last Sunday for reference. (Aka: Noisy Basin Snotel 6,040′)

It’s been a great snow year!

Tanner K
    BPL Member

@tannerk

Mike – winter storm this week, with snow levels at 3000′. That oughta get your bluebirds and butterflies out and about ;)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well this is what it looked like last weekend, the benefit of living in the banana belt of Helena :)

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

18 to 24″ possible tomorrow and Thursday above 7,000′ down my way.  Dan’s ski route just might be “the one” this year.

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

Dang, not the pictures i particularly wanted to see of Pyramid.

I think we are supposed to get 6-12″ over 5000ft tonight and tomorrow around Bozeman so I suspect Badger will go up substantially.

Initial weather report shows it starting to warm a bit next week (60’s) and dry. But thats a week so anything can happen.

I headed up a little closer to home in Yellowstone towards Big horn pass in the park Sunday. 6500-7000 feet had wet and muddy trails in the valley (terribly slow going with snow fields) and pretty solid snow cover on the north side of the valley. Pass was all snow and did not even bother attempting.

On a positive note, the Gaia app worked great on the iphone and i will be leaving the garmin at home.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Wow the Mount Lockhart SNOTEL (6400′) gained 11″ in the last day:
    https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportGenerator/view/customSingleStationReport/daily/649:MT:SNTL%7cid=%22%22%7cname/-29,0/WTEQ::value,WTEQ::median_1981,WTEQ::pctOfMedian_1981,SNWD::value,PREC::value,PREC::average_1981,PREC::pctOfAverage_1981,TMAX::value,TMIN::value,TAVG::value?fitToScreen=false

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Badger Pass gained 20″ in 24 hrs, pretty large, widespread storm

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

I can’t say all this extra snow is what us guys from mich and indiana were hoping for,  sounds like Dan D has the best idea with his skis . 4 of us headed west on weds regardless ! We are coming in large motor home , pulling a pickup – hoping to park motorhome close to finish , and drive truck around to start- question for those familiar with area – are we likely to find a spot very close to park at finish?, or will we even be able to get up the road to finish spot in big rig ?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

roads should be fine near Lake Inez, parking will be tougher with the holiday weekend- possibly a pull off to a closed Forest Service road

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Sounds like a great road trip Dan M. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Is there a dinner spot yet for Friday night?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Elk Country Grill  in Choteau- 5-ish, they have burgers and beer (and other stuff :) )

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

thanks for input  , we are pumped up and really looking forward to “little walk in the woods”- should be in area by thurs. afternoon,will scout around and see what we can find. Our crew is  looking forward to meeting everyone on fri.  for dinner . Its going to be interesting to see if conditions scare many off this year.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I wouldn’t worry about the new snow too much because the freezing line was similar to what elevation the snowpack was already at. Areas with snow got a bit deeper, while snow-free areas got rain. Via SNOTEL, Waldron (5600′) only got 3″ and Bisson Ck (4900′) got nothing.

Google says the Elk Country Grill is permanently closed. Are we sure it’s open?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

hmmm- there website is up and running????  I’ll call today- there are a couple of other places to eat, but don’t think they serve adult beverages :)

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools