Topic

Bob Open 2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Open 2017

Viewing 14 posts - 251 through 264 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

I’m game for however long next year is going to be. I suppose the longer the route the fewer to likely finish, but that in turn depends on preparation both physical and mental.  I think i’m just gonna take a whole week off of work so i don’t have a time restriction next year. For a slower mover like me, that is always in the back of my mind.

For next year As far as shuttles go, I just found this place shuttles cars around the Bob for outfitters and will also do so for others its just not advertised.  I did call to confirm this. Four Rivers Shuttle and Boat Rental406-370-5845. An option to leave your car at the start and have it waiting at the finish. Expensive 30$/hour + gas. i’d bet about $200+ or more depending on start finish locations.

Seth Cunningham
    BPL Member

@seththesailor

Again, congrats to everyone who finished.  The trip reports are making me really sad I couldn’t be there this year.  Really awesome stuff!

I’ll chime in with my 2 cents on the course length.  As an out-of-towner flying in, I am going to be taking the entire week off anyway, so 4-6 days vs 2.5-3 days isn’t really a big deal for me as long as I can be back at work the following Monday.

On the other hand, the training commitment to “Race” a 6 day event is a big step up.  Seems like every year there are a few people who do their first 35 or 40 mile days at the Open, and in that way it is an inspirational yet accessible goal for the first timer.  Acquire the skills, train hard all spring, and you can push yourself for 2.5 days.  6 days either requires a lot more training, or dialing things back into the “just another hard backpacking trip” range.

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Locale: Front Range

I would echo all of Seth’s comments about the length.

That said, I’m planning on a 2018 appearance, whether the route is long or the standard length.

I also (finally) have my forum credentials back to say good luck and well done!  I wish I could have been there for this year’s challenging route.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

does anyone know anything about the CO crew?  have any of them posted here before?

they got there just as we were ready to start, didn’t get to meet any of them

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

Yes Mike M ,I am a friend of one of the three who actually lives in Michigan -they heard about the open through me although they have not posted anything ,I know they got out Monday night late at Gibson reservoir- we saw them at the end of day one -they came in to our camp five hours after we got there- I know they’re planning on making a YouTube video that should be pretty entertaining of the top 150 things not to do in the bob. I think some of them were actually caring 60 pound packs – made me feel better about my 30+ pounder,  but only marginally . Our michigan  group had a blast ,it was one heckuva workout -we learned a lot! we will be back !

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I put together a summary here.  Every year for the last three doing that has gotten more complicated.

Lots to consider as far as 2018 goes.  I would imagine the chances of a longer route a la 2014 are high.

Josh Durston
    BPL Member

@superj

I’m loving the trip reports.  I especially like reading about everyone’s thought and decision making processes (like the cottonwood river crossing event).

Also, thanks Dave C for putting this event together and all the careful thought and planning that goes into your decisions.

I hope to participate one of these years.

I’m not near as familiar as you guys with the geography of the Bob, but perhaps it would be possible to have a route that started  and ended at the same spot. It could target one or more remote destinations (like a ranger cabin,  signpost, trail intersection, river, mountain peak, pass, etc).   Having more than one checkpoint might promote a diversity in routes.  People normally post pictures and GPS tracks so hopefully there wouldn’t be too much temptation to misrepresent ones efforts.  Anything to spend more time in the wilderness and less on the road (whether it’s walking or shuttling).

My $0.02 is that a longer route is more attractive to out of towners since it makes the trip logistics worthwhile to those that live far from Montana.  If I’m going to travel 1 or 2 days on each end, it’s nice having a 4-6 day event to look forward to. (being realistic with myself even the shorter routes would be that many days for me).  But, I totally appreciate the different dynamics that come with different lengths. Long routes might not reward risk taking as much since you can only be cold and hungry for so long (not sure whether that’s a good or bad thing).

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

My $0.02 is that a longer route is more attractive to out of towners since it makes the trip logistics worthwhile to those that live far from Montana.  If I’m going to travel 1 or 2 days on each end, it’s nice having a 4-6 day event to look forward to. (being realistic with myself even the shorter routes would be that many days for me).  But, I totally appreciate the different dynamics that come with different lengths. Long routes might not reward risk taking as much since you can only be cold and hungry for so long (not sure whether that’s a good or bad thing).

This is dead on.  Catering to locals by staying on the road system is one of the reasons the Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic hasn’t grown much lately, as it eliminates some of the more inspiring routes.

I’ve long considered adding a mandatory checkpoint everyone would have to hit, which would allow for more miles with start and end points closer together.  Swift Reservoir to Marias Pass via White River Park, for example, is almost 100 straight line miles.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Mike: My shins puffed up pretty good for 2-3 days after the event (peripheral edema) and one IT band is still a little sore. Those IT bands are funny things. If you don’t trigger them it’s all good, but if u overdo some log jumping and inflame one then its all downhill until u get some proper rest.

With a 100 mile foot route, I was easily more sore than 2013 and 2015 when I rafted lots, but not nearly as sore as 2012 when I could hardly walk for 2 weeks.

I started a thru hike of the cdn Rockies 3 days after the BMWO but thankfully my knees have been recovering with only  15-20 miles daily.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Awesome trip reports Matt and Kyle. Great to read. You guys rocked it.

MATT: You win on calories :) I had 150 left of my 6000.

Matt L
    BPL Member

@mattl6722-2

Dan, good luck with your next adventure … I’ll be following along!  Now I know next year how many calories to bring along … it could certainly be reduced even more but I’d leave it about 5000 just in case of an extended stay.  I ate a bunch of cheese just so it wouldn’t go bad, not because I needed it!!

If any of you are on FB, I am Matt Loctite.

Matt L
    BPL Member

@mattl6722-2

As an out of towner and someone who has to add travel time to total time off work, I actually like the shorter length trip.  I can take 5 days off work, for a total of 9 days to play with, but then 4 are for travel.  To me, 5 days is what I need for an expected 3-4 day journey in case something causes a delay.  I do like a through trip from one end to the other … I think it adds to the experience of a traverse and the sense of accomplishment.  On the other hand, knowing that my wife may not be able to be my support next year, if I were to drive out alone, more of an out and back sounds appealing to not stress logistics.

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

Just a side note here. I went in to Youngs creek from Lodgepole and over Youngs pass / Jenny creek this weekend. Got down to the first big ford of Youngs. Probably a lower thigh deep crossing now.  There is nothing left but scant snow on the ridglines. Its amazing what 2 weeks will do to the snowpack.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Wow!  that is amazing

Viewing 14 posts - 251 through 264 (of 264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools