Topic

Bob Open 2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Open 2017

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

it’s been great test of my sanity :)  I’ve already run more on the treadmill this winter than the past four combined (verified by my records)!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

And here my fellow Southern Californians are freaking because we had a week of rain!  I have been getting some good mileage with wet feet and know my socks and shoes work in that regard….

Every time I’ve ever run a treadmill (probably 3 times in my life) I wanted throw up when I got off.  They give me some sort of weird motion sickness.

I’ve been holding at roughly 30 miles/week of trail running for the last month.  Going to do one or two more weeks and then my warmup phase is over.  Then I plan on adding in the specificity for about 16 weeks; higher mileage days with elevation gain and a weighted pack or hard backpacking trips.  Feeling pretty good so far, looking forward to this.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yeah there is definitely something wonky about a treadmill- I play with the incline and the speed, but it always feels “off”

they’ve called for moderating temps next week, but they’ve called for moderating temps for the last month and thus far we haven’t moderated yet- I should go into meteorology evidently it doesn’t hurt you when you suck at your job

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Man running on the treadmill is tough.  I can tolerate maybe twice a week.  If it’s 5F or above, I’m running outside.  Went snowboarding at the Rock today, some great snow to be had.  I’ll be ramping up my running miles and hopefully getting some weighted hikes in soon (no snowshoes:(. If the winter keeps up as it has been, not sure leaving snowshoes behind will be an option come the end of May.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“I play with the incline and the speed, but it always feels “off””

That is because the treadmill belt is going in the same direction as your push off stride.  It exaggerates the backward motion of your trailing leg.  Bad for the back over time.  Go back to the Step Mill for the kind of event you’re training for.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ahhh- knew something wasn’t quite right;  sadly we don’t have one- thinking about switching gyms just for that reason

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

You guys are heros for getting in shape already. I’ve decided I’m going to start April 1, at which point I’m going backcountry skiing for 4 weeks so that should help. All I’m doing these days is indoor rock climbing.

Sam: Is 2017 your year?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I’ve made many excuses why I’ve not participated in the past – some legit, some lazy.  But this year it’s rock solid.  My best friend of 40 years is getting married and I’m performing the ceremony so the BMWO is a definitive no-go for me.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

Been ski touring for my cardio.  Got in 15k vert skinning last week.  If I can keep that up every week I may be in decent shape. I would like to get some 20k weeks in.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

our weather has moderated a little (still well below average, but at least we’re getting above 0!)

got 42 miles in last week, all on the trails finally, some of those with running snowshoes- which makes for a pretty decent workout :)

probably in the 10,000′ -ish range for vert

still nursing an injured shoulder from a bad spill, so my strength training has been very (very) light- at least I can run  :)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I went backpacking last week.  Did get turned around by snow on north facing slickrock.  Winter is rough.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

“Winter is rough”  Was going to ask you how the orange crop was doing?  :)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The free range/semi feral cattle down along the Escalante ate them all.  Buggers.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

:)

I think we’re on pace to set the coldest January on record here- maybe it will knock out some pine & spruce beetle larvae- that’s the only positive I can come up with

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

finally got a decent long run (well most of it on snowshoes) in yesterday; 16.5 miles which on a good day  just a tiny bit over three hours- with snowshoes, deep snow and elk trodden trails it was 5 1/2 hours w/ a 12-ish lb pack

Matt L
    BPL Member

@mattl6722-2

Hey guys, I just wanted to introduce myself.  After several years of wanting to make it to the Open, finally, this year will work.  I have been backpacking in the Bob twice over the last 5 years and can’t wait for this challenge!

Last week I got my Yukon Yak … while I have been canoeing for years, packrafting is a different animal and there has been so much great info on this site, so thank you.  Even if it doesn’t get much use in the Bob this year, it is still plenty useful here in Chicago.  I have the good fortune to be able to walk out my front door, walk north on a bike trail, and at any point up to about 15 miles away, walk off the trail to the North Branch Chicago River next to it and float back to within 200m of my house!  Not bad for living in a city.  Last weekend, a cold, short trip gave me my first practice with transitions and packrafting … and being wet waist down in cold water (but probably not as cold as it will be there).

Much more reading, planning, and training to come …

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

That right there is the definition of “gettin’ ‘er done”.  Way to go, Matt.

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Welcome Matt.  Last year was definitely more suited for pack rafting.  Not sure about this year although given the general direction of travel raft-able stretches of water will be more limited.

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

Locale: La Sierra Gorda

I created a 244 mile 4-river bikerafting route (119 of it on water), just for fun. The only problem is that goes completely around the BMWC, but it is within the BMWO guidelines. The other issue deals with crossing a bit of private land. Here it is, just for kicks: http://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/4-rivers.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Welcome aboard Matt.

Mike

Chase M
    BPL Member

@walkingfoot-2

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Great work, Mike! You’re an animal.

What’s up guys (and gals). I’m 100% in this year, Derek and I are partnering up this time as you may know already.  We’re undecided on a raft or walk trip this year (bikerafting?), but it looks like we’re leaning towards a fast and light traverse. Looking forward to the discussions here.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Chase- good deal!  beware Derek is a crazy man :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

no real bearing yet, but thought I’d point out Badger Pass just added 40″ of snow in the last 6 days

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

Geez, maybe that circumnavigation of the Bob via bikeraft isn’t such a bad idea.

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

So, who’s going to packraft this year?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools