Topic

Bob Open 2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Open 2017

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

they must be keeping it close to the vest :)

definitely looks like a few opportunities to get some floating in, probably not as much as last year, but still some

we’re three months out now, hope everyone’s training is going well- I missed a week in February with a bad cold, but other than that getting 30-40 miles in a week with some good snowshoeing thrown in for good measure

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

Locale: La Sierra Gorda

I haven’t really put the pack on much (at all), but I intend to over these last 12 weeks. In any event, I should arrive to the start at least a backpack lighter than last year. I’ve been waiting for a car part to arrive for over a month, so I’ve been doing quite a bit of walking around town as a result. A recovery run day is 6 miles, and I walk the kids to school another 4, so  I get in a minimum of 10 miles walking/running each day, with long running days typically 16-20 miles, or more. I might have to find a pair of snowshoes this year, if Badger Pass keeps getting clobbered with more snow.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

They (Badger Pass) were down about a foot with our short stint of warm weather, but they’ve gained it back in the last couple of days, with the forecast calling for 4-5 more days with snow.

Obviously a lot can (will) change in 90 days, but should prove to be interesting nonetheless  :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a massive snow melt.  I can find mileage and elevation and wet feet and all the rest, but snowshoeing is my weak link…don’t get a lot of opportunity to do it.

Plus the base weight just looks so much better without 50+ ounces of snowshoe on my back :)

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

I always hope for more snow to hopefully keep the fire season in check but hope to not have miles of snowshoeing during the Open.  In 2015 I packed them but never put them on.  Last year I didn’t pack them and never felt like I needed them.  Time will tell based on route choice whether I pick up a pair of Shifts or just roll the dice.  I’m okay with some melt as well but one that hopefully slows down prior to the start so stream/river crossings don’t get too hairy.  Here is Mike recovering from a near tip into Strawberry in 2015:

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ lucky SOB!  :)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Finally got off my butt 2 weeks ago and put a little vert in. This 2 day / 20 mile ascent is all I’ve logged for training thus far, but I’m going full time backcountry ski bum for April which should strengthen the legs. 19 days until I’m nomadic until October.

I’m hoping this snow keeps piling up and I can finally do my ski route. I actually quite like the course for skis this year. If only I had some wheels to attach to them for the final 10 miles out the forest roads.

No raft for me.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Dan-  nice country! :)

I had a good training weekend.  Snowshoed about a 15 mile loop Sat & Sun.  I got into a stretch of really (really) tough snow for about 3 miles or so- was breaking through to my knees and even my waist sometimes.  That stretch chewed me up and spit me out!

Still a great trip though.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I’m getting really excited about a ski route. I’ve got a route in the works that I think will be awesome if the snowpack stays up. I’d like solid coverage above 5700′.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

skiing would be neat for sure; Badger Pass is holding tough at ~ 100″, but we’re getting some above normal temp weather for the next week at least so, I look for it to start falling for the near term

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thinking of driving out to the finish line, camping at the campground for a couple of days, just to say hello to folks. Or, since there’s only 6 sites, would I have trouble finding a spot?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I’m not sure on the sites, but it would be great to have a finish line party!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

That would be cool Doug.

That picture is great Dan.

Tanner K
    BPL Member

@tannerk

Mike’s log jam brings back some good memories!

I am most likely not doing the Open this year. A new job and new family member are making me extra picky with my time away from home, and last year had me wondering what I was doing rushing past places like Scapegoat Mountain instead of hitting some of those highlights. I do love the main objectives of the Open though, and plan do something similarly strenuous this year but tailored more to places I haven’t visited yet (and minus the logging roads ;) ). I definitely plan to participate again sometime – “retiring” after a bail would not sit too well with me!

I will be following along and can’t wait to read the reports. I like Dan’s ski route idea – not necessarily going to be the fastest point to point route but probably will see the best country. If it doesn’t work out Dan, hit me up one of these years. I have been wanting to do a ski trip through the Bob in March/April when the snow pack is a little more reliable.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I found this video a couple years ago of a Bob ski traverse.

YouTube video

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

what a great video!  thanks for posting that up Sam- if that doesn’t get a guy stoked for an adventure, nothing will

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

That video is great. Gets me stoked.

Tanner: I’m probably going to be living a lot closer to the Bob starting this fall – likely somewhere in the southern Canadian Rockies. I’d love to do a March/April ski traverse next spring.

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

We’ve got a group of 5 guys from mich. committed, training and excited about doing the open this year. Looking for any imput on routes – over the last several years i’ve spent 5+ weeks in glacier but only limited in the Bob- been studying topo maps – any suggestions ?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I would suggest using both google earth and caltopo to get the very best idea of what each route entails- definitely look at multiple routes.  Obviously the shortest route doesn’t always equate to the quickest route.  The number of passes, elevation, river crossings, snow all impact rate of travel.  On caltopo use the fixed slope shading overlay- it will potentially show you where you have a higher chance of encountering snow.  The past fire overlay may give you some insight into where you might encounter more blown down.  It’s probably a good idea to have some bail points figured out, although after a certain point you’re pretty much all in.

If you look at past events you’ll see that rarely does anyone have the same route, some overlap here and there, but it’s always fun to see the variety of different routes chosen :)

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

Thanks mike , will be digging in deep this weekend- water crossings are a big concern- the snow machine missed us this year but looks like you guys got hammered

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Dan M: I like to start on CalTopo using the Google Terrain layer and imagine some routes from A to B. So I pick some valleys and mountains that might be good to travel in/on/around. Then I switch to the USGS layer and see where the trails and passes are and try to reconcile the two. There are trails in most valleys, but not that many passes. If you start zoomed in enough to see the trails, you can lose site of the big picture.

As you plan, consider the snow line (might be between 5500 – 6000′), burn zones (there is a CalTopo layer for burn zones), water crossings etc.

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

RE: river and stream crossings.  Really is dependent on the weather the few weeks to a few days before.  Warm and sunny you should expect higher water, especially in the afternoon.  One thing you can count on in the Bob in the spring: you will get wet and likely have wet feet more often than not.  Last year I applied Bonnies Balm periodically and prior to sleep and had fewer issues with maceration.  I’m also bringing some Hydroskins socks this year to keep my feet warmer when wet.  Dedicated sleep socks are always a good idea.  Also a good idea to scope out any available pack bridges you can detour to if a river crossing looks sketchy.  Swimming the S Fork in May is not high on my bucket list.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

I’m definitely in again this year. Was up in the air for a bit, but I’m really psyched that, barring something unforeseen, I’ll be at Teton Pass with the group. I think a buddy from Fairbanks and one or two from Missoula will join me. Or, they will all bail and I’ll do it anyway! Time to buckle down and get some mileage on my feet.

Keeping an eye on the snow, have to say I’m not hoping for a ski. Anybody pack rafting?

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

Locale: La Sierra Gorda

I’m not keen on loads of snow either, Tyler, mostly due to the fact that it would mean I might have to buy extra stuff before the Open.

I may take along the packraft, so long as Chase is up for it. I just spent big money getting two Anfibio Buoy Boy PFDs shipped from Germany to Mexico.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Nice to see that snow get deeper and deeper :)

Currently 43 inches of snow at 5600′ near the start line and only 10 weeks to go.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools