Topic

Bay Area GGG is a Go!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area GGG is a Go!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Hey everyone, the Bay Area GGG 2017 is a go! I have reserved two group sites at Manzanita Point in Henry Coe State park for the last weekend of January 1/27/17-1/29/17. The cost is $5 per person.

Although there has been interesting discussion of other possible locations, I went with Henry Coe State park again because I know where it is and it’s easy for me. Plus they are currently allowing wood and charcoal fires in the fire rings at the Manzanita camps. I’ll haul in a massive tarp again, just in case.

Planning to have wood, alcohol and canister stove burn-offs, a “saw-off”, and a “weigh off” event to see who has the lightest cook kit, trekking poles, saw, knife, shelter, etc.

Anyone want to step up and contact some vendors to see if they’d like to participate? Outdoor Expo is a couple of weeks earlier, so at least there’s no direct calendaring conflict.

No potable water at the camp site. Does anyone have some large water containers we can take in by car? PM me so we can coordinate.

Lastly, I could use some help setting up a web-based sign up and pay page. Any volunteers? In the meantime, PM me and I’ll reply with payment information.

Looking forward to seeing old friends, making new ones, and in general geeking out over gear!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Group sites 4&5. You won’t see camp from the road. If you get to the water tank you went just a bit too far.

There is potable water at the new tank near camp.

I’ll be there!

PM sent on water jugs, etc…

link to last year’s

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/8th-annual-2016-gathering-of-gear-geeks-henry-coe-state-park-ca/

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Looking forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting some new ones!

And of course I’ll bring some brownies.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Looking forward to it, PM sent!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

9th annual Bay Area G.G.G.  Thanks again Ken Helwig for the great idea.

Big thanks to David for taking the host post this time around.

Might hike in the dark on Friday. Driving from Chico I don’t want to guess what traffic will be like.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Yes thanks David for taking this on!

Thanks Ken for doing this year after year and doing it so well!

Barring something coming up …I am looking forward to being there this year as well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

David. We want sunny, not windy, perfect weather this time please.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Hey Ken, I’ll do my best with the weather. I’m working on the theory that if I spend the money for a new mega tarp and haul it in then it won’t rain because I’ll be ready for it. For sure if I don’t bring a tarp it will pour.

Here is my proposed schedule:

FRIDAY

Check in starting at 2:00 p.m.

SATURDAY

11:00 a.m. Weigh off

Cook kits: Min. 500 ml pot with lid, stove, windscreen, fuel container for 10 burns, eating utensil, repeatable ignition source. 4 categories: alcohol, esbit, wood, canister

Saws: 8 oz or less, capable of cutting douglas fir 2×2 in less than 30 seconds

Shelters: 2 categories: with bug net and without, including all stakes, lines & poles needed to erect

Trekking poles: 2 categories: fixed length and adjustable, judged by grams/inch

12 p.m. Vendors/swap meet

2:00 p.m. Saw Off

Saw through douglas fir 2×2 in the least amount of time

2:30 p.m. Wood burn off

2 categories: regular and mechanically aspirated

Boil 500 ml of water in least amount of time

Fuel: 12″ piece of 2×2 douglas fir, to be cut, chopped, saw, sliced, etc. as desired

No more than 15 grams of non-wood fire starter

3:00 p.m. Alcohol burn off

2 categories: speed and efficiency

Speed: fastest to boil 500 ml of water starting with 25 ml fuel

Efficiency: least amount of fuel to boil 500 ml of water

SUNDAY

Check out by 12 noon

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Hopefully the road will be open to schlep supplies in by vehicle.

Les Waddel
    BPL Member

@tridrles49

Locale: Central Cali

David!  Baring any problems…I’ll be there, maybe Noelle also.

Will I have to pack ALL my STUFF in or drive?  Ha!, Wheel Barrow?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Knowing you Les, “all your stuff” will weigh about 10 lbs.! Hope you can both make it. Looking forward to seeing all your new MYOG CF gear. Please bring your CF soprano ukelele too, so people can appreciate your artistry. You should post your ukeleles to the “what art do you carry” thread: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/what-art-do-you-carry/

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Looks like the $8 daily parking fee stays the same.  There is an iron ranger across from the HQ for after hour permits.

Les Waddel
    BPL Member

@tridrles49

Locale: Central Cali

Nice thread to Art Dave.  Thanks, if I can figure out putting pictures on I’ll post there.  And… Yes, I’ll definitely bring my CF Uke!

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

David, thanks for spear heading the GGG effort. I am planning to be there.

Regarding payment, if you have a Paypal account and a Gmail address, you should be able to create a free site through google and drop a paypal button onto it. I may be able to supply some limited help if needed.

Cheers!

Jacob.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Jacob,
    Glad to do it and that you’ll be attending.
    If you could help with the free google site and PayPal button that would be awesome. I’m old and technologically challenged.
    Thanks!
    -DG

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Looking forward to catching up Jacob. Hope you make it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Firewood? David?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Hey, I sent out an e mail to a bunch of you last week. Check your junk/spam folder. See you there.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

I plan to bring a trunkload of firewood. If the weather holds I’ll drive it in with other group gear. If the roads are too muddy to drive, we’ll need a heroic crew of volunteers like last year to hike out with me and bring in packloads of wood.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Would be nice to have good weather. But with this bunch a good time is guaranteed no matter the conditions.

Who’s going?

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Thanks for volunteering to head up this trip David!

I plan on attending.

Rick

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Sure thing Rick. PM me about signing up, please.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I would like to go.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

PRIZES!

There will be prizes for the winners of the saw off, wood burn off and alcohol burn off. Haven’t picked them all yet, but they’ll be SUL!

California Packrafting
    BPL Member

@unnamedpeaks

I would like to go.

I purchased a Deschutes tarp because of the Six Moon holiday sale figuring I could recoup what I paid if I didn’t love it. Having set it up in the back yard, I really want to try a Tarptent Notch for comparison. Does anyone have a Tarptent Notch they can bring to this event so I can try it out? And, if anyone wants a brand new Sil Deschutes, I will be looking to sell mine if I prefer the Notch.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools