Topic

Bay Area GGG is a Go!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area GGG is a Go!

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Best to plan for 23*F I guess. I know some people have been quite cold at night in previous years. There was even snow one year.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Better not be 23

That reporting station is closest to where we will be.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

We* will probably be there for the day on Saturday.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Casey
    Emily
    PJ (age 9)
    Mei Mei (age 6)

Holly Miller
    Spectator

@holly_miller

Locale: SF - Bay Area

New to the GGG experience but have seen previous years. Is there any more room?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Plenty of room. Come on up! Looks like it could get cold so bring your warm gear, especially for sleeping.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Casey Bowden:  Super happy to hear that some other kids will be there.  My daughter is between your children’s ages.

HJ

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am now a “most likely not”. Currently in hospital but hope to get the f out of here asap. Will do my best to at least show up even if just a hike in and out.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Oh no Kat! Get better soon.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Official forecast for our campsite:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-121.517737&lat=37.173784

Current forecast:

Friday: Patchy frost before 10am, Sunny 52 / 35 °F

Saturday: Sunny 56 / 37

Sunday: Sunny 58 / 39

There’s a remote weather station one ridge over, a short distance from camp, though it’s not reporting right now:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=MTT119

And I’m planning to be there.

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Going to be beautiful!

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

David,

It’s true, home made jerky is the best.  I will have a few different flavors and hopefully enough for everyone to try!  Getting excited!

Ben

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I just heard back from Manfred – he may or may not make it, he’s still recovering from a bad case of the flu.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Well, my darn tent poles didn’t arrive in the mail today. Grrrr….

Mail usually arrives here by 11 a.m., so I’m going to wait to leave tomorrow until after the mail arrives in the hope that they will get here. That gets me down to Coe about 1:30-2:00 p.m. I haven’t been able to get through to the park on the telephone all week, but my assumption is that no vehicles will be permitted. So that gets me into camp about 2:30-3:00 p.m. I plan to hike in with a load of firewood first, then turn around and hike right back to bring in my camping gear, hopefully before it gets dark. See you all soon.

Latest “official” head count is 32. Hoping the actual number of attendees will be about 50.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Well, cr@p.  :(

They gave us new project requirements on Thursday.  I’m just now finishing them up and it’s about 2:00 AM.  I’m not seeing how I can pack and be ready to leave at first light today.  I suppose I could drive up in the dark…  But I’m not wanting to do that nor do I want to hike in in the dark.  I think I’m going to have to abort the mission.  :(

I wish it were not 7 hours to drive up.  My route (Interstate 5) takes me through the downtown Los Angeles area.  It’s never fast.

HJ

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Hey Jim,

Bummer. Although if you decide to gonzo up I’ll hike out to meet you so you don’t have to hike in by yourself in the dark…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Noooo. Plenty of people on the trail tonight. Will be sad to miss you Jim.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Jim, you should meet me and ride up there with Nick and I.  We’re leaving my house in Altadena around 2 PM today.

I PMed you details.

Kat, I hope whatever happened you’re doing better.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I’m hitting the road @10 this morning.

See everyone there!

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Dave,

If for some reason your tent poles don’t show up and you don’t have a shelter for this weekend, you are more than welcome to use my Cricket which I’ll be bringing as a show-and-tell/for sale item. I might have some extra poles too, but I wasn’t able to find them the other night (we just moved and my gear closet is chaotic at best :) ).

Jim,

I hiked in after dark last year, and it was actually pretty cool! (no pun intended) It’s a very mellow hike into Manzanita Point, even more so if you walk the road. My headlamp started to die about half way there and it still was pretty doable :)

I’m leaving Paso Robles around noon, gotta make a couple stops along the way, then meeting up with my bro-in-law in Morgan Hill to head out to Coe!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Erik,

Thanks for the generous offer. I have the Aluminum poles that came with the tent, I’m just waiting for the $$$ Carbon Fiber poles I ordered. So I’m good, just frustrated. I ordered the poles 16 days ago from Fibraplex and their web site says delivery is “1-3 days by USPS”. After 11 days (last Saturday) I emailed and asked if the poles had been sent and they told me “Oh, that’s the delivery time once we make the poles. Every order is made to order but we’ve been very busy and your poles aren’t made yet.” WTF!#$%^&*!!! I got an email Monday that the poles had shipped, but they’re still not here yet. Grrrrr…

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Poles arrived! I’ll be on the road in 15 minmutes, there by 1:00 latest. See everyone sonn!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

posted elsewhere

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Great weekend! Nice to see old friends and meet new ones. And the weather was perfect, as requested.

Everybody who took pictures please PM me and I’ll give you my email address so you can send the pictures to me for a trip report. Thanks!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I started a thread over in the Photo Gallery forum for the photos and comments. It’s where all the others are.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/9th-annual-bay-area-g-g-g/

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Great idea Ken. A huge time-saver too!

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools