Topic

Bay Area GGG is a Go!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area GGG is a Go!

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Going to take a lot of patience to post the trip report photos.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

“Since Tony Wong can’t make it this year, do we have volunteer(s) to be the “official” photographer and trip report writer?”

Then again it would be nice not to have a camera in your face every five minutes ;)…..but Tony did do a great job .

A good write up would be nice though.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Just a week until the trio report is expected. In Photo Gallery with the other years.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Kat,

I just put the camera in YOUR face every 5 minutes…working on my skills at becoming your personal stalker…lol.

Sorry that I am going to be missing out this year.

Had I done a little bit better planning I could have had my daughter spend the weekend with her mother.

As my daughter has gymnastics on Saturdays…no way that I would be able to drag her out to Henry Coe after her work out.

Hope someone puts up some photos…will be nice to see everyone again via the pictures.

Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

lol, busted.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Busted indeed ….

we’ll miss you Tony ;)

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

I would be interested in riding out MTB on Saturday if allowed… I tried calling but no answer, if in your talks with the powers that be, if no cars then sometimes no bikes ?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

From coepark.net

AS OF 01/24/17 @ 6:00 AM TRAILS WHERE BICYCLES ARE PERMITTED ARE CLOSED TO BICYCLING; 0.98″ OF RAIN HAS ACCUMULATED IN THE LAST 48 HOURS.

Should be OK by Saturday, imho.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I’ve been trying to call the ranger station for 3 days. I think the recent hard rains may have damaged the lines. I’ll keep trying and post if/when I find out.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Following Ken T’s link I found the following:

“All singletrack trails are closed for 48 hours after a half inch of rain. Roads remain open all the time.  But, up to 48 hours after at least a half inch of rain, single-track trails are closed to bikes to prevent excessive erosion and trail damage.   Check at the Visitor Center when you pay your fees and/or check Trail Conditions.”

I’ll keep trying to call in order to verify.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

OK folks, filled my trunk with firewood and my big fuel bottle with alcohol, bought some fir 2x2s for the saw off and wood burn off, put fresh batteries in my digital scales, got some glow-in-the-dark sticks and 8 rolls of extra TP for the head, stashed my UL G4 pack and dusted off my old 80 L Montbell pack for hauling it all in. Everything is set. (Other than waiting and hoping my new Fibraplex tent poles arrive in time.)

Can I get a final show of hands so I’ll know whether I need to reserve another group camp site?

See you all soon!

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

*raises hand*

Jared and I are still in, hiking in Friday night!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

✋️ Friday afternoon for me.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

When I spoke to the rangers a couple of weeks ago they said there was plenty of water in the tanks, but that it had not been tested for potability so we should heat, treat or filter.

I’ll ask again if I can ever get through.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Nick Gatel and I will be arriving Friday night.

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Arriving Friday – have no idea what time.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

I am getting there at 10:00  on Friday morning and heading to Mississippi Lake and will see all Saturday morning.

Jay Wilkerson

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

All right.  I am “in.”  :)  My boss (at work) has been out of the country, but it looks like I am now cleared for take off.  My boss (at home) has also approved my travel plans.  My offering to take my daughter off her hands for three days might have had something to do with that.

Tony @valshar I am bringing my daughter (1st grader).  Please make every effort to drop by. :)  It’s pretty much the world’s easiest hike.  My daughter I’m sure would love to meet yours.  I hope my daughter is not the only child there.

I guess Manfred and family are not coming?   :(  :(

Not sure how I am going to keep princess warm.  Don’t really want to pack in the Sport Cat propane heater.  lol.

At this juncture I’m targeting my arrival for 4:00 PM on Friday, but there’s no telling how long it’s going to take — I have to drive through downtown LA on my way there from southerly Orange County.

HJ

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

I’m going to be bringing in a few stoves.  Since it’s a “pack it in” trip this year, it won’t be a whole lot.

Tentatively:

• The new MSR Pocket Rocket 2
    • Soto Amicus
    • Speedster (alcohol/ESBIT) stove
    • Toaks wood stove (virgin trip)
    • Suluk 46 Napsiktok wood stove (virgin trip)
    • (Possibly) Trail Designs Ti Tri Sidewinder Cone
    • (Possibly) Primus OmniLite Ti (hopefully with a silencer)
    • (Possibly) Kovea Booster+1 (heavy beast, but this is the one I’m currently reviewing)

If someone had something in particular that they wanted to see (and I have one), let me know and I’ll try to make it happen.  I’m carrying gear for two, so there will be a bit of a limit.  For those that don’t know, my ever-so-exciting blog is http://AdventuresInStoving.blogspot.com  Practically guaranteed to cure insomnia.  If you see a particular stove on there, I probably still have that stove, but I also have a lot of stuff I’ve never had time to write up.

HJ

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

I know it’s last minute, but does anyone know how to contact Manfred? He always has great adventure stories to tell.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

I sent Manfred a PM just now.  Perhaps that will get to him, but sometimes PM’s are a wee bit unreliable it seems.

HJ

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I emailed him last night, but it was quite late so I don’t expect a reply yet.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

I will be there, hiking in Friday or maybe early Saturday. I might have some wood to haul in as well. And home made jerky!

Ben

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Dude! Home made jerky is the best! Once you’ve had it you never look at jerky the same. It’s like the difference between grocery store tomatoes vs. home grown vine-ripened tomatoes. I call dibs on at least one piece!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I am getting conflicting weather forecasts. Which is going to be most accurate?

For me there is a HUGE difference between 23F and 33F

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools