Topic

8th Annual 2016 Gathering of Gear Geeks: Henry Coe State Park, CA.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery 8th Annual 2016 Gathering of Gear Geeks: Henry Coe State Park, CA.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

BPLers Gathering of Gear Geeks: Henry Coe State Park January 23-24th, 2016

Corral Trail Head to Group Campsites 4 and 5 near Manzanita Point  2.5 Miles Approx.

Manzanita Point Camptsite Elevation 2,270 Ft.

Daytime Temps: 58F

Evening Temps: 45F

25-30 People Attending

Website Henry Coe State Park

Organized by Ken Thompson and David Gardner of GOLD Gear

Henry Coe State Park Head Quarters (Photo taken on Sunday the 24th, a sunny, rain free day)

Ken and Marc arrived on Thursday the 21nd where is sprinkled a bit that night. Ken has brought his wife to the GGG for the first time. However, after a damp and relatively sleepless first night, Ken decided to take his wife home. Katharina and handful of others arrived on Friday night and endured a hard afternoon and evening of rain. However, it did not rain much that night.

As this was an El Nino year, heavy rains have been expected this winter across California and the whole of the country. Given that California has been in a four to five year period of drought, the rains were welcome, but did much to keep people away this year as much of the week leading up to this weekend had been full of daily showers.

In fact, on hour and twenty minute drive from the East Bay, I was treated to patches of rain along the freeway and sprinkles as I drove up into the hills to get to Henry Coe. Arriving at the park entrance, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the lower parking lot, which was a half a mile away from the head quarters was closed with only one lone car behind the closed gate. In years past, we were required to park down here as the main parking lot was too small to accommodate all of us.

Driving up to the head quarters, I was easily able to find parking, as there not many visitors at this park this morning. I parked my car and headed into the head quarters to pay my $8 overnight parking fee. As I was waiting to pay my fees, I ran into David P, another fellow BPLer, who had just arrived and was looking to pay for his parking fees too.

David and grabbed our gear and headed out toward Manzanita Point together

Fortunately, the drizzling rain had stopped and we found the trail not too terribly muddy

Catching up on the trail with light rains coming and going as we shared what we had been doing over the past year since we had seen each other.

One of the reasons I keep coming back to the GGG is for the people and sense of community with my fellow backpackers. There is an instant bond to be had with new friends to be made and to see familiar faces to see again. The common love of the outdoors and a per-occupation with all things light weight gear make for an easy ice break that makes this event open and inviting to all.

Something new and blue this year

I guess David and I really must have been deep in conversation because we managed to blow past group sites four and five because we found ourselves at the end of the trail at Manzanita Point Group Campsites with no one to be found. Hummm, bonus hiking, right??

Upon turning around and hiking into the group sites, David spotted a yellow Mountain Laurel Designs Duo Mid in the distance. We had found the right campsite!!! Wandering into the two sites, I was struck with how few people there were but that there was a huge blue tarp that was setup to provide shelter from the rains. Turns out that David G. of GOLD Gear was thoughtful enough to haul in a massive 20ft x 30ft tarp to provide safe harbor from the rains where we spent most of the time.

After having taken some time to setup my shelter, while there was a lull in the rain, I wander over to the big blue tarp and said hello to everyone. There a mix of familiar faces and new one. Despite the dampness and the sound of mud under foot, the conversations were lively and welcoming.

Interestingly, I noticed that there were only about 14 people in camp this afternoon, which was the number of people we had at the first Gathering of Gear Geeks. Later that night, from 5pm til 7pm, we had a bunch of people come in til we had maybe 25-30 the next morning.

After spending time to say hello to everyone, it was off to snap photos of everyone’s shelters and gear while the weather was good.

Rick’s 29 oz. Oware 10×10 Pyramid with what looks like a Six Moons Designs Fusion 65 Pack 39 oz.

Platypus Hydration Bag Setup with Orange Saywer Mini Water Filter as a Gravity Filter

Close Up of How the Sawyer Mini is Connected to the Dirty Water Bag with Clean Water exiting out via a blue hydration tube with bite value at the end of the blue tubing.

Back Side View of Oware Pyramid Tarp

Photo 2 Marc’s Cuben Tarp with Hammock and Brown Under Quilt (what tarp, hammock, and quilt??)

Erik’s brother in law’s shelter

Stansport 2 Person Nylon Tent 3.8 lbs

I was shocked to learn that this was considered a two person tent when it looked like it was barely enough for for one person. However, at $35, it certainly was crazy inexpensive. Unfortunately, for the owner, it leaked terribly and soaked much of his gear, forcing him to sleep under the large blue tarp Saturday night, after doing his best to dry out his soaked gear by the night time fire.

Erik’s 7.5 oz Mountain Laurel Designs Cricket Tent in Cuben

At first, when I saw this shelter, I did not recognize it, and thought that it was an oddly pitched MLD Solo Mid

Erik says, “The rough weather was a great way to test the storm worthiness of the setup – I stayed dry the whole time! Winds gusted to around 15mph on Friday night, combined with heavy rain. Saturday was a little less wet, but still pretty breezy in the evening.”

View of the Mountain Laurel Designs 9.5 oz Cricket Inner Net with Bathtub Floor

Close up of the bathtub floor on the inner net

Rear View of the Cricket Tent

I admit that I have been fascinated by the MLD Solo Mid shelter and pyramid shelters in general for a number of years. Filled with cuben lust that a 11 oz shelter could be the bomber shelter to protect me from driving rains to falling snows. Having been stuck under a tarp and in a bivy in a 13 hour rain storm, having the ability to sit up right vs. laying uncomfortably on my back, belly, or side tossing and turning is very attractive.

David G’s Walrus Gear Tent, Pre-cursor to the Micro Swift Tent 2.85 lbs

David, “The tent is a predecessor to the Micro Swift, but I don’t know the exact model name. It weighs 2lbs. 3 oz. It’s a single-wall tent (no fly) with big side vents that aren’t visible in the picture because the “eaves” aren’t staked out.” The tent here is from around 1985.

Looks like a pretty sturdy little shelter with two hoops

MSR Wing and some creative use of Umbrellas for additional protection

Creative Use of Materials to Prop Up a Tarp

David and the others had placed empty plastic bottles and beer cans on the end of metal support poles to help reinforce the tarp from the winds and to better prop it up. The butts of the beer cans and bottle preventing the poles from puncturing the relatively thin tarp. Notice the support pole that is a wooden branch set in the middle of one of the picnic tables with David G’s foam sit pad lashed to the top of it to prevent the stick from tearing a hole through the tarp. I believe that Kat’s multi colored bandanna was tied around the foam sit pad to keep it in place.

Jane swapping stories with Peter

Jane has become a fixture of the GGGs over the past number of years and a personal inspiration for me. She picked up backpacking or returned to backpacking late in life and manages to get her husband out on one trip per year. Jane has a group of lady friends who she gets together with during the year to get out onto trips. She is a trooper and has been out each year….even when it is soggy. Seemly, always with a smile on her face, she is a joy to be around.

GOLD Gear fixed length trekking poles at the end of the table, custom-made to order in any length up to 52″/132 cm. The poles pictured here are 48″ and weigh 4.4 oz with straps.

David G’s 1985 REI Rain Cover for a pack

GOLD Gear 4-fuel SUL cook kit on the table, which comes with an esbit burner, alcohol stove, BRS-3000T canister stove, and can also be set up to burn wood. Also includes a 1 qt caddy/bowl and 16 oz caddy/cup, 700 ml beer can cook pot, titanium pot lid, titanium windscreen, and 8 fluid oz fuel bottle. Weights are as follows:  6.82 oz for all four fuel alternatives 4.72 oz for canister stove only 4.72 oz for Esbit only 4.93 oz for wood only 5.16 for alcohol only.

Just to show you how big this blue tarp is….this made the difference between being hunkered down the whole time in our shelters or being able to socialize together while it rained.

Dylan’s Hyperlite Mountain Gear 11.4 oz 8 x 10 Cuben Tarp

Dylan arrived Friday night and had this to say, “I ended up sleeping in the barn <span class=”aBn” tabindex=”0″ data-term=”goog_1768408173″><span class=”aQJ”>on Friday</span></span> night after Cameron saw my wandering headlight in the car camping lot. At that point it was heavily misting and the ground was sopping wet – lifesaver.”

Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus 3500 cu in/57L pack with optional suspension upgrade 23 oz.

This will be my next pack….it is the pack that I have been wanting after completing my 2011 JMT trip. After resupplying with a week’s worth of food at Muir Trail Ranch to cover 110 miles with a GoLite Jam2 that weighted in at 31-32 lbs, the Exodus with the suspension upgrade seems like the perfect solution for me on trips when I need to carry more food that takes the UL pack beyond its recommended 25 lbs comfort rating. This year, I have the perfect excuse as my custom 750 cu in Bearikade Food Canister is too wide and won’t fit in my trusty 2008 GoLite Jam2. (I am hoping that the 750 cu in canister will better allow me to carry 7 full days of food where I was only able to fit 6 to 6.5 days of food in the 700 cu in Bear Canister).

Dillon chose this large tarp to provide him with the option of sleeping under it without his Borah Gear 12.9 oz Snowyside eVent Bivy with just a polycro ground sheet. He felt that the larger tarp would provide tons of room and a lot more cover in bad weather.

Tony’s First Generation Tarptent Contrail 1.5 lbs

Now Replaced by the ProTrail

I have not used this shelter in years, having moved to a tarp and bivy setup. It took me a little time and help from a few others to get a tight pitch as I had forgotten to setup the tent. That said, I was easily able to get the tent setup in a matter of minutes. However, it was a great choice for this trip. I had plenty of room to stretch out and to store my pack at the foot of the shelter. Later at night, I enjoyed watching a few tv shows that I had downloaded onto my Amazon Fire Tablet.

Dylan and Matt Hanging Out with Ridgerest Foam Pad and Caldera Cone by Trail Designs

Bottle of Whiskey….interesting thing is that I don’t drink much simply because I get drunk really easy. Guess that I am a cheap date. So I tried out Dylan’s bottle of whiskey (not sure if I have had whiskey before). Surprised that I was able to drink a number of sips through the night when a shot would normally put me down. Hey, maybe this means that I am going to grow some hair on my chest next???

Peter’s Trekkertent Stealth Tarp 1.5 weighing 14.8 oz

Rear View with Collapsed Hiking Pole for Support

Peter has the 8.1 oz Net Tent 1 as an inner net

Dave P setting up his hammock after the rains stop for a moment

Cameron’s 20 oz Pro Silnylon Mountain Laurel Designs DuoMid

This Duo Mid started my fascination for pyramid shelters after going through a 12-13 hour rain storm at Trail Camp on Mt. Whitney at around 12,000 feet with Cameron. I laid under my MLD Poncho Tarp in my MLD Soul Side Zip eVent bivy, tossing and turning trying to find a comfortable position to be in. All the while looking at Cameron’s DuoMid and being envious that he could sit upright in his shelter and cook his dinner without fear of the rains reaching him.

Rear and Side View of the DuoMid

Jane bids us farewell….having come out in the bad weather to say hello to everyone.

Plus, she is not as stupid as the rest of us….warm bed, hot food, and staying dry. Humm, why do we do this? For fun?

Shawn (???) rolls into camp after braving the drizzling rain

Shawn is the maker of the Ultralight Backpacking Titanium Cathole Trowel and Ultralight Titanium Spatula and came out to show us his wares

10 gram/0.35 oz Spatula

17 gram or 0.6 oz Cathole Trowel

The one the left is the standard trowel from the store. The one on the right has been heated over a gas stove to heat it up to give it the various colors, which anyone can do with a pair of pliers and a hot flame.

Men and Women Do Not Live on Water and Trail Mix Alone

Dylan hauled in the 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Beer and I believe that Peter brought in the much loved Cheese Cake! (I believe that there were three of them that he brought it to generously share with everyone….I personally “forced” myself to eat two or three pieces).

“I am soooo sick of water!”  Quote from a JMT hiker who had just rolled into the Whitney Portal at the end of his trip, tossing his pack down to go into the store to get a beer.

Monkey Shoulder? Maybe they had sampled too much of their product while brain storming to come up with the name…

Dylan finds a clean source of fresh drinking water for his dinner

Actually, pretty clever. A number of people were able to fill their water bottles and water bladders by collecting the ample rain water that had pooled on top of the tarp. We frequently had to do this to make sure that too much water did not collect and rip the tarp.

MSR Pocket Rocket 3.0 oz a Classic Stove

Marc sporting Zpacks Rain Suit….older version

Zpacks Water Proof Breathable Cuben Rain Jacket

Vargo Triad 1.0 oz Alcohol Stove with small metal cap/cup as primer pan for getting stove up and running

Alcohol has been colored green with food dye to prevent it from being accidentally being mistaken for water and drunk

Seeing the alcohol stove in action with what might be a Toaks Titanium 750ml or 650ml Pot

Kat leaves us…feeling a bit ill, perhaps coming down with a cold

Kat is no whimp for sure. I have personally seen her hike a multi day trip in the Trinity Alps with a busted ankle without complaint and taking the lead on the trail. She is one of the more interesting and talented people that you will ever meet and one of the nicest.

Matt (???) Leaves us too after spending the day and possibly arriving a day or two earlier

Hilleberg Enan 1 Person Tent 1 lb 15 oz

A matter of priorities….keep your gun powder dry, keep your booze dry/warm, and close to your bed

Cheryl maker of the NoGround Trekking Poles for pitching your Hammock

The Tarp Blows Away After a Strong Gust Rips out the Grommets and Stakes

A little bit of panic and surprise as everyone grabs a hole of the fluttering tarp while we figure out how to secure the tarp the ground.

Heavy fallen branch and the legs of a picnic table do the job with guy lines added and tightened

View of one of the campsites

Life Under the Blue Circus Tent

Corner of the Tarp that Collapsed and was tied to a picnic bench to help secure the corner

David P’s Tarp and Hammock Setup

View of the Hammock with Camo Underquilt

Everyone that I have spoken to, who uses a hammock, swears that it provides them with the most comfortable night’s rest. I believe that Rick was telling that he once spent over 250 nights sleeping out on a hammock and just loved it.

Nothing says Ultralligt like Hiking in a Backpack full of Wood!

The Amazing Gift of Wood

These two guys hiked out just for the day to check out the GGG, maybe for the first time, and hauled in two huge loads of fire wood for us. After dropping off the wood, they spent a little time checking out people’s gear and shelters and left. As I have said, you really meet some of the best people through backpacking. Unfortunately, I don’t think that anyone got their names. If you gentlemen are reading this, THANK YOU for your generosity and for making what would of been a damp, cold night into something special.

Inspired by the two men who had hiked in all of that wood for us, five of us hiked back to Marc’s truck at the Park Headquarters with empty packs to try our hand at being wood Sherpas.

Not a sight that you see everyday….packing logs into your pack

Dylan’s Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus with Suspension Upgrade Loaded and Stacked

Rick (???) Carrying 35 to 40 lbs of wood on his back with a smile

A Couple Who Had Braved the Wet Weather to Come Out for the Day to Check Out the GGG

The Fools of Henry Coe: Marc, Peter, Rick (?), Dylan, and myself

I think that the consensus was that hauling 35-40 lbs of fire wood definitely was not comfortable and that our packs had not felt this heavy in years. That said, it really was nice to get out of camp and hiking to get a change of scenery, enjoy some more conversation with new friends, and to generate some heat to be warmer. The weather was a mix of light patches of rain to drizzle

A Welcome Rain to Help with a Long Drought

California has been dealing with a four to five year drought that had left many reservoirs extremely low throughout the State. Even driving into Henry Coe State Park, there is a reservoir/lake that we pass that looks to be hundreds of feet below it’s normal level. Despite the El Nino weather and excess rains, I heard that even if it rained hard everyday of this winter, California would still not be able to get caught up on the water needed to full replenish what we have losted/used over the past years.

Night Fall Means Dinner Time!

We had returned back to camp just before it got dark. Thankfully, people in camp had used the wood that the two men had brought us to start a fire, which turned into a great base of coals for easily feeding more wood into the fire that lasted all night.

Communal Table of Snacks, Booze, and Stoves

The Remote Canister Stove Looks Like it Might be the Caffin (BPL) Winter Stove?

Pretty Shade of Blue in the Night

Simple Joys….One Hot Meal

Busy Bees and a Hive of Activity

Dinner Time was filled with the sounds of stoves roaring, the gurgling and bubbling of boiling water, the clatter of pots and lids, the sound of a spoon stirring food, the sucking sound of your feet lifting out of the mud with each step, and the picnic tables full of voices and occasional outburst of laughter as food and drink is shared and stories told.

Zelph’s Starlyte Alcohol Burner Stove is incredibly lightweight and contains carbon felt inside of it, which acts as a sponge. This sponge absorbs up to 1 ounce of fuel, thought half and ounce will burn for 10-12.5 minutes. The sponge effect means that you cannot spill alcohol from the stove even if you knock it over. Another bonus is that it is very easy to light (no primer pan needed) and any excess fuel can be saved by just blowing out the flame and snapping on the plastic, air tight lid on top of the burner. Caldera Keg Stove System in the background….Fosters Beer Can Pot.

Happiness is a Hot Fire to Dry Your Gear Out with and to Warm Up With

Actually, a few people were boiling water/cooking food with the fire, while others were drying out wet gear.

A Warm Glow Against a Blue Tarp Sky

Danny from Massdrop with the newest and youngest BPLer….two month old Sage

Danny may be one of the luckiest guys on earth with a dream job. He is in charge of the Ultralight department of Massdrop. After people vote on what products they would like to see go on sale on Massdrop via user created voting polls, Danny will contact the manufactures to arrange a number of sale prices that decrease as more and more people sign up to join the “Drop”. I recently just scored a great deal on a recent drop for a Black Rock Gear Down Beanie. Danny has had the surreal pleasure of meeting a number of UL cottage manufactures and to build not only a working relationship, but friendships too.

The Cutest BPL Member with the most Request to Be Held

Hot, Dense Wood….Makes for a Fire that Last All Night Long

I was pleasantly surprised that the logs that we had did not burn up so quickly. The wood burned long and hot that night and made what could have been a slightly miserable night into a joyous one filled with many conversations around the fire. Again, thank you to Marc for taking the time to load up his truck with fire wood this year and every year past.

A Beautiful Orange Glow that Breaks the Darkness of Night

Night wanders on and a choirs of voices are punctuated with a sudden burst of laughter. Orange and black shadows flicker against the blue tarp and the human drama plays out as the flames reach up to the heavens. Wisps of smoke shift in the night air and eyes winch from the momentary burn. A bottle is generously handed around and sips of liquid burn my throat, but warms my soul. People who were strangers share a meal and stories. Friends not seen since last year renew ties and exchange smiles.  Hands reach out to the flames to find warm. The radiating glow of the fire is blocked by a steady circle of characters taking their turn to feel the dampness of the day’s rain steam away. Slowly and surely, the voices drift away as darkness and warm down sleeping bags call to the weary. There is someone sitting on a picnic bench just a the end of the fire’s warmth, who has fallen asleep while sitting up with their hood pulled over their head. There are slices of cheese cake, left uneaten that must be finished lest the creatures of night get them. My feet, unaccustomed to bearing these long unused and heavy leather boots, are hurting from standing up so many hours. I turn to leave the dwindling fire, which is more of a hot bed of coals, and I leave the voices and venture into the stillness of the night. Looking up, I see white and grey clouds in the sky that partially hide a bright moon that struggles to be seen. Thankfully, I crawl into my tent, happy to be free of mud caked boots, and slip under my down quilt. Feet are quickly warming as they are nestled in down booties. The sips of whiskey have caught up with me and I feel the slight turning of the world beneath me. Everything is okay and I lay my head down to the sound of voices in the distance and the occasional pitter patter of drops of water drumming away on silnylon.

The Sun Rising Over the Campsite

Hot Coals from the Night Before Used to Stoke Another Fire

Danny carrying Sage in his arm with a chest carrier.

Brock, busy being a boy and happy as can be

Just think about how lucky Brock and Sage are going to be….enjoying the outdoors and having to avoid all of the experimentation and trials and errors of going lightweight. For them, it going light weight will be natural and they will unlikely every know the distraction of an unbearably heavy pack taking away from their joy of the outdoors.

Another of Cheryl’s Hammock Pole System

A Happy Turn in the Weather. Sunny Skies.

Tarptent Stratospire 1 or 2 46 oz. 2-3 Person Shelter 4 Season Capable with Light Snow Loads

Rear View of the Stratosphere

View from the Far Edge of Camp

Josh’s Mountain Laurel Design DuoMid

Josh had biked in a fair distance from one of the other entrances and had arrived later in the night

Most of the Upper Campsite

Creative Pitching After the Wind Tears You Apart

Cheryl, Marc, and Peter Enjoying the Morning.

Big Sky Chinook 2 Person Tent 3 Pole, 4 Season 3 lbs 11.4 oz

Rear View of the Chinook 2

Manfred’s Family Lovingly Tucked Away in Zpacks 21.0 oz Duplex Tents in Green. White Shelter might be 23.8 oz Triplex Tent

Unknown Black Diamond Tent

View of the Lower Campsite from the Lower Edge of the Site

The Business of Breakfast….Unknown Stove and Cook Pot

David P Using Unknown Canister Stove

Note: Smart Water Bottles are a popular choice for Sawyer Mini Water Filter Users. The Semi Ridged Smart Water Bottle is easier to dip into the water and fill up vs. a collapsible soft side water bottle, like a Platypus. However, it is strong enough and flexible enough to be squeezed to force water through the Sawyer Filter.

Where Erik’s Brother in Law Slept Due His Tent Not Being Waterproof

Home Made Aluminum Foil Wind Screen

Japanese Instant Coffee for the Trail or on the Go

Just Open Up Cardboard Wings to Attached to the Lips of the Mug after Peeling the Top of the Bag Open

Pour Hot Water into Bag in Small Amounts To Allow Filtering and you have Coffee

Danny Attends to Brock and Sage. Brock has a fascination with all folding foam pads. Apparently, he loves to fold them up and carry them around. Here, a foam pad is a welcome bit of duel usage to keep your bottom away from the cold, wet bench.

Another Canister Stove, when you want a lightweight and easy solution

Stupid Easy Choice for an overnight trip like this when you don’t want to fuss with anything and where having the lightest weight pack is not of critical concern.

We should all sleep so well.

Funny thing, we start out our lives living in the simple lap of luxury and, when we are older, maybe we are just trying to earn enough money to be treated this way again???

Father and Son Enjoying a Hot Bowl of Special Oatmeal

Natalie (???) was great…taking the time to walk around with Brock and to keep an eye on him

Chubby Cheeks and The Look of Contentment

Cameron with Orange Jacket with David to the Right with Blue Puffy Jacket

Who is the man in blue to the left and woman?

Josh Warming Up with a Hot Cup of Something and Feeling the Morning Sun

Kristen with Sage

Generous Gifts Donated by Vargo to the GGG Courtesy of MassDrop.com

Danny brought these into the GGG to give away to attendees of this Year’s Gathering of Gear Geeks

In the middle we have a Vargo 0.5 oz Titanium Spork

To the Left we have a Vargo Ultralight Titanium Nail Peg at 0.3 oz each

To the Right we have a Vargo Titanium Shepard Hook Stake in High Vis Orange at 0.3 oz each

Brock is modeling two additional gifts from Vargo:

Hexagon Wood Stove at 4.1 oz with Vargo Converter Stove at 1.6 oz

The Converter Stove is a clever bit of kit that can be suspended with attachable “hooks” to the opening of the Hexagon Wood Stove. The Converter Stove is suspended low enough to shield it from the wind, turning the Hexagon Stove into an effective wind screen. The Converters Stove is an alcohol stove, but when turned upside down, it has a small depression on the underside that allows it to be used as a solid base for Esbit Fuel Cubes. The result is a multi fuel wood, alcohol, or esbit stove at 5.7 oz total weight.

Note: Brock is holding the collapsible “hooks” that attach to the Converter Stove

View of the Underside of the Hexagon Stove

Toaks Titanium Backpacking Wood Burning Stove 5.4 oz

Another gift that Danny from Massdrop brought in that was Donated by TOAKS Outdoors

I believe that the Pot on Top is a Toaks 375ml or 450 ml Titanium Pot

Firebox Gen2 Folding Nano Ultralight Wood Burning Stove 6.0 oz./4.0 oz for Titanium Version

Another Generous Donation to the GGG by Firebox Stoves

This stove folds completely flat and is stored in included pouch shown for easy and clean storage, keeping soot from getting onto your gear in your pack. Cleverly, the Gen2 has been designed to be able to work with the Trangia Spirit Burner Alcohol Stove to allow a multi fuel option.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

isn’t that last cuben shelter a Cricket and not a solomid?

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Yep, that’s a cuben Cricket with silnylon inner (my shelter). The rough weather was a great way to test the storm worthiness of the setup – I stayed dry the whole time! Winds gusted to around 15mph on Friday night, combined with heavy rain. Saturday was a little less wet, but still pretty breezy in the evening.

In spite of the weather, it was a great weekend. I was particularly impressed by the lady (didn’t catch her name, maybe someone can help me out here) with the no-tree-hammock-system – way cool. Hopefully someone got some pics of that. Also, Jeremy (I think) brought a long strip of copper for folks to cut to length and use as heat shunts on upright canister stoves. He even brought the shears to cut it with!

The massive blue tarp and the firewood drops were game changers. Would have been a MUCH less pleasant experience without them. My brother-in-law joined me on this trip and he’s pretty new to backpacking, and totally new to the concept of ultralight backpacking. He had a blast, and was very impressed by some of the gear that was on display. Even with the crummy weather, he kept morale high and can’t wait to go on some “real” backpacking trips. I think he caught the bug :) Oh, the Stansport shelter – that was his…He’s thinking a silnylon mid is in his very near future :)

I’m already looking forward to next time!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Erik

Unless there was another lady…I think you are referring to the set up that belongs to Marc Elridge and it is way cool.

I had a hammock but was set up between trees ….but I did not get a drop of water on me ;)

I got there Friday and left Saturday, missing many late arrivals. Had a cold/fever but still enjoyed the time I was there.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Tony thank you for posting the trip report and photos. The Ms. and me were sorry to miss seeing you and everyone at the GGG, and it’s nice to see some photos.

Bad weather is no fun, especially when you are trying to hang out, but it’s made for some of my more memorable trips. Looks like you were pretty well prepared for it.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Jennifer & Erik,

Thank you for the correction!

Always learning something new…in this case, never have seen a cricket up close and personal.

Will get the captions and weblinks corrected tonight.

Tony

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Kat,

That could be what I’m referring to – I thought the lady was the owner of the system though, and was actually trying to bring a product to market. Now that I’m thinking about it, you may have been gone by the time she got there (later on Saturday). It was the setup that used trekking poles, and some sort of adapter to lengthen them. There was a “hub” at the center with 3 shafts extending radially. Those 3 shafts were connected by cord on the outside, forming a triangle. Then, another line went from each point on the triangle to the top and bottom of the main shaft. Once all these lines were tensioned, it created a very stiff pole that was strong enough to use for hanging a hammock. It looked like an alien weapon or something, but it was a very clever design. Here’s a quick sketch of what it looked like:

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Oh, I think I remember hearing that the silnylon pyramid was made by Oware.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

double post

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Tony

For the sake of accuracy :)

Ken and Marc arrived on Thursday and it sprinkled that night. A couple of handful of us arrived on Friday and while it did rain hard in the afternoon and evening, it did not rain much at night and three of us slept in our hammocks/ tent and were fine.

edited…@Tony

thanks for the kind words!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Katharina,

Thank you for setting me straight as I only heard 2nd hand, since I arrived on Saturday.

Will make the corrections!

Then who ended up sleeping in the barn?

Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Ken, yes it does look quite a bit like the Handy Hammock poles. But, hers doubled as trekking poles.

I just got a PM from someone who could identify the maker and product:

“Erik,

The hammock stand that you saw at GGG is a NoGround pole that is made by Cheryl from Woodland, CA. You can find out more about the poles at Cheryl’s website at http://www.tiggzcraftworkz.com/. I have a set of these poles, and was planning to use them at GGG. Unfortunately, my wife was put off by the rain and we decided not to spend the night.”

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Nice report Tony.

It’s nice to see some familiar faces (Ken, Kat, Marc, David, Dylan, Cameron, Matt). I’ve been somewhat of a recluse when it comes to socializing with BPL friends. I think even had the weather been better this one would have been tough for me to fit in, but its nice to see the spirit still alive and well… cuben fiber, scotch, cheesecake… yep sounds about right!

That giant blue tarp is awesome by the way! It’s funny how this kind of stuff materializes at group gatherings of ultralight backpackers :)

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

The tarp and 100′ cord I packed in weighs 16 lbs, and we used at least another 50-100 feet of cordage. Not exactly UL, but well worth it. This kind gentleman (apologies, name?) offered to pack it all out uphill, and I gladly accepted.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

“Surprised that I was able to drink a number of sips through the night when a shot would normally put me down. Hey, maybe this means that I am going to grow some hair on my chest next???”

C’mon, Tony, let’s not get carried away! NO WAY you’re getting a hairy chest.

Thanks for posting the pictures, you always do a good job of capturing the details of these gatherings.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Looks like the rain was pretty tolerable, especially with the Big Blue Tarp!  Sorry I had to miss the fun – I hope I’ll be able to attend next year.

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Tony,
    Awesome photo essay! Thanks for being so detailed! Great photos!

The gathering was great! I really enjoyed seeing everyone, hearing great stories and catching up with familiar friends. The big blue tarp and the wood hauled in for the fire were great treats for our wet cool weather. Thank you to those who hauled it in and thank you Marc for supplying the wood from home! Thanks again to Ken Thompson and David Gardner for organizing the event!

Oh man, I missed seeing the wood burning stoves Danny brought. I really would have liked to see the Toaks Stove and Firebox Stove. Bummer I missed them. I’m a wood stove-oholic. That Vargo Spork with clip looks tempting also.

I’m looking forward to the next GGG!

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your great photo report. Below are three comments/answers.

1. The three tents for the six of us were two green 10 oz SMD Cuben Haven and one white (olive) 21 oz Zpacks Duplex
    2. You got “Natalie” right. Our daughter loved to entertain Brock
    3. The man in blue next to the lady is Jeremy who was next to Angela.

Manfred

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

Another thanks to Tony for documenting the GGG!

Thank you Ken (sorry to miss you) and David for all the planning. Was wonderful to finally attend a GGG and great to meet everyone.

This is the only picture I took – the ellusive Tony and his well weathered Jam.

IMG_5014

Whistle model unknown.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Dylan,

That’s a Storm Whistle (I have a few), “the loudest whistle on the market.”

http://www.stormwhistles.com/storm.html

— Rex

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Part 2 of the 8th Annual Gathering of Gear Geeks

(The forum only allows for one week to make changes to a message and I ran out of time to finish the whole report in one week)

Danny with Little Sage

Josh Happy to be Warm

Trail Designs Ti-Tri Three Fuel Stove: Wood, Alcohol, and Esbit at the end of the table

View Inside the Cone….Alcohol Stove

Klymit Splash 25 Adjustable Air Frame Pack 21.0 oz

Waterproof/Dry Bag Design

Close up of the Squeeze Bulb for Inflating the Air Chambers in the Pack

Old School Mountainsmith Backpack

Zpacks Arc Blast Cuben Pack 21 oz

Osprey Exos 48 Pack?

Rarely Seen BPL Absaroka Pack 36.0 oz?

Cameron’s Absaroka Pack….he says that it carries like a dream when he did the JMT in 2011

Dylan Breaking Down Camp

Checking Out People’s Gear

Natalie Keeps an Eye on Brock

Morning Chit Chats with New and Old Friends

Slowly Trickling Away….People Finished Breakfast, Talked with Each Other, Enjoyed the Sun.

Sage….BPL Mascot and Most In Demand UL Celebrity

Breaking Down the Blue Beast

Rolling It All Up….This Blue Tarp that David G Brought in Made This Years BPL a Success

It provided up with plenty of cover when the rains came down. It was the place we all congregated under to share a meal, drinks were shared, and good times were had.

A Generous Volunteer Steps Up to Offer to Carry Out the Blue Beast

Dylan Drowns the Fire after having hiked a short distance to collect water from the large water tanks that the park has, which limits the needs to dry camp and haul in all of your own water

Nothing Beats Laying on a Close Cell Foam Pad on a Tree While Reading

Kids at Play….a gathering for all people

Hiking Out with Dylan

The Morning was a welcome change from the day before with mild temperatures and an early morning sun to warm us up and to help dry gear that had been damp from the night before. People enjoyed their morning meals in the company of new found friends and familiar ones who keep coming back year after year to this gathering. People hung around to chat around a smokey fire. Slowly people began to pack their gear and trickle out of camp one by one. Good byes were said, but knowing that many would be back again next year. So it really wasn’t so much as “good bye as see you next time.”

Dylan Tossing out Trash…Recycling Beer Cans from the 24 pack that he had hiked in to share

I really enjoyed getting a chance to know Dylan on this trip. He is an interesting man who has bike from Seatle across part of America over a three month period. Starting out with hiking boots and then bicycling with sandals and only spending seven or eight days in a hotel or motel. Bike camping. He lives modestly, but knows that the wealth in his life are the moments he shares on the trail with his girl friend and others. In a world of materialism, he has chosen to be contented with having less, but finding that he is richer for it in a way that works for him. Not unlike how our approach is to lightweight backpacking. Each of us has an unique path and journey to how we got here, but we share a common bond and love of the outdoors. I find that some of the best people that I have meet have been on the trail. Perhaps the trail makes all of us equal to some degree. We are stripped of the material things that could separate each of us from others. We are carrying the essentials of what we need and perhaps in that we are humbled and less judgemental of others and therefore open to making friends with people we might not normally do so when we are back into the working world that is our daily routine.

Back to the Beginning…..Thank you David G. and Ken T. for Another GGG

Til Next Year….Safe Travels on the Trail and See You All Back Again

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Fantastic job, as usual Tony. Thanks so much. Until we meet again.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools