Topic

5 Ounce Fleece Hoodie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 5 Ounce Fleece Hoodie

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Rob, 5 oz is amazing for a fleece hoodie.  I will be interested to get some feedback from users.  Thanks for sharing.

Gerry

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

5oz is almost too good to be true. I have a Cap 4 L/S Crew (no hood) that is 5.1oz. Is the fabric thinner than that?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

+1, +1

Somebody buy this magical garment and weigh it.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

It’s the same fabric presented during IPSO 2015 (in the middle of other fabric and garment descriptions)

https://backpackinglight.com/ispo-2015-pullan/

I’m interested too, though the now discontinued OR transition fleece had a full zip and hand pockets for a few oz more.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

This Mountain Fit hoody seems to be just slightly different from the Peloton 97 hoody that Kuiu has been making for a while. I bought a Peloton 97 earlier this year. It is a large, and I added a bit of elastic cord to help seal the hood to my face better. It weighs 160 g on my scale, or 5.64 oz.

So far I’ve only used this for 8 days in the field, but I really like this piece. It is comfortable, quite warm, and has a good hood and thumb loops. I do wish it had a 1″ longer tail, but the fabric is not too slippery so it still stays tucked in quite well. I would buy it again without hesitation. The fit is slightly loose and the fleece is stretchy. I paid 80 bucks and I note they’re down to 70 bucks in the Kuiu outlet.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Somebody buy one and do a review :). I wonder how this would compare to a Polartec 100wt fleece? I think this would make a great camp/sleeping layer.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

@eb – Just curious – what size is 5.64oz and how does it fit compared to other brands?

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I have to wonder if a 5oz top can do anything beyond covering one’s nakedness.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I have a Patagonia Thermal Weight crew that weighs 5 oz in a size S. It has no zippers and no hood. I would say it’s around 2/3 as warm as a standard 100-weight fleece. Unless this fleece is super magical, I’d guess it’s similarly warm, but it would be nice to get some user feedback. I like my thermal weight crew for trips down to 25 or 30 degrees – good for cold starts when a wind shirt isn’t quite enough and a little extra warmth when sleeping.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

Brad R: my 5.64 oz. Peloton 97 is a Large. I wish I’d weighed it before I added the elastic cord and button to the hood, but that’s a matter of only a few grams. Kuiu fit is a bit unpredictable, but in this case I’d say it is pretty normal. I’m 6’1″ and 175 lbs. and the Large is a bit loose on my 32″ waist. I’m sure I would find the sleeves too short on a Medium (I like long-ish sleeves).

Brad P: You might be surprised at how thick and warm this fleece feels. I certainly was. The knit has considerable loft, much more than my other baselayers of similar weight. It remains to be seen whether it packs out quickly. I haven’t used it hard enough to have any idea of its warmth in the long term.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I wore the Peloton 97 zip t for hunting this year in 40-50 degree temps and it is a super lightweight base layer.  The hoodie intrigues me – I’d like to see it in camo so I’d have a hooded baselayer for hunting.

https://www.kuiu.com/shop/shirts-tops/base-layers/peloton-97-zip-t/20030.html?cgid=shirts-base&dwvar_20030_color=ViasCamo#start=2

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

Mike: They have the 97 hoody in 2 different camo patterns as well as grey/brown and brown/grey.

How did the fabric hold up in Kodiak alders? Did you put it to the test?  :-)

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

There’s also this piece: https://www.the-house.com/mh3mlfzh06sh18zz-mountain-hardwear-fleece.html

Full zip fleece hoody with pockets for 4.8oz

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

It’s an interesting piece. Fit is a bit loose, as on Eric’s Peleton 97, but not overly so. I’m generally between a medium and a large, and the medium fits fine, but not skin hugging (doesn’t even hug my bit o’ buddha belly). Usually the arms on most pieces are a bit long on me, but not so much with this, which is nice for me (but perhaps not for someone with long arms). Smooth face fabric outside, and while brushed inside, it has very, very minimal nap. Haven’t worn it on a trip so no idea how warm it will be, but I imagine less warm than my TNF 100, which seems just a tad thicker. Don’t know that, just a guess. It’s very comfortable to wear with a nice bit of stretch without being overly stretchy.

Also like Eric’s Peleton 97, not overly long. My medium is 26.75″ from the neck seam to the bottom of the garment. The hood is not form fitting, and there’s no way to tighten it (which I think is pretty standard on pieces like this). When zipped up completely there’s still a small rounded-v-shape opening at the top of my forehead. That’s not to say it’s loose all around, it isn’t. I just doesn’t quite hug all the way around either.

My medium is 5.3 oz. on my cheapo kitchen scale.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Useless answer from customer service,

Q: What is the back length?

A: Depends on the size, they get longer as you go up in size.

Real helpful guys.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Brian,

I ordered a medium and large of the Mountain hardware one you posted.

As my Dad used to say “you couldn’t make it yourself  for that price”.

Thanks,

Daryl

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hope you’ll post the weights of those MH hoodies Daryl, as some commenters have said they’re closer to 8 oz.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

The Mountain Hardwear are closer to 8-10oz depending upon size.  I went with it because it is made of microfleece which I find better at retaining warmth, cutting down the wind and shedding light precipitation than grid fleece.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

“microfleece which I find better at retaining warmth, cutting down the wind and shedding light precipitation than grid fleece”

I’m heading toward a similar conclusion.

I’m a heavy sweater.  This may be a factor.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Speaking of lightweight garments/shirts from Kuiu, and how do you say that anyway? Que Ee U? Anyway I was going to devote a little time when I finally get around to working up a trip report about an April hike in Salt Creek/Needles and a nice trip to the Winds in August to mention the Kuiu Tiburon shirt:

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-shirts/ultra-tiburon-zip-t/21002.html?dwvar_21002_color=Khaki&cgid=shirts#start=22

I treated mine with permethrin for August in the Winds but that turned out to be unnecessary. The shirt has just enough of a shell effect for knocking down the breeze, full sun protection and with those pin holes in the weave pattern breathes great! Wore it with one of those new Mt. Hardware T’s with the horizontal bands of open weave venting, the VNT and I was good in temps ranging from @ 40 crossing passes in snow fields (as long as I was moving)  to @ 75+ (and it would be my first choice for higher temps when you need the coverage from the sun) . As you can see following the link; the tiburon specs @ 5oz  (M?) and I checked mine in a large at 5.8 oz or 166 grams. Since I’d moved up to a full sized xtherm I was trying to compensate and shave a few oz. and instead of a compromise I got a better bonus! The shirt has a really deep zip and also a very handy semi-napoleon zip chest pocket. I’m 5″9/160 and normally wear a medium but got a large since I didn’t want it too form fitting and I was using the shirt as a sort of shell. It’s very well-made, really stretchy and also pretty darn tough. No problems with willows in the Winds though I did get a few random pulls in the weave when I went bush-whacking through/across Salt Creek right at Kirks cabin to check some sites on the west side. Anyone that’s tried that might appreciate the challenge to you and your clothing! Another level of bush-whacking!

As they saying goes it’s a little spendy but I really love it as a light shell for sun and bugs that won’t overheat. I don’t know anyone at Kuiu or have anything to do with them but they seem to be coming out with some good gear. I plan on getting a pair of the trousers and the shorts since I’ve been so pleased with the shirt

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Koo-Yoo

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Mountain Hardware Microchill Lite Hoodies arrived.

Medium on my scale is 8.6.  That’s only about 4 ounces and 180% higher than the advertised weight of 4.8 ounces.

Oh well, Mountain Hardware stuff is always kinda heavy.

The Large weighed 9.4 ounces.

Like Brett said…..8-10 ounces depending on size.

I otherwise like it.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Got my Mountain Fit in the mail today.  6.6 oz. in XXL.  Fit and feel are fantastic.  Can’t wait to take it out on my section hike in early December.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools