Topic

5 Ounce Fleece Hoodie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 5 Ounce Fleece Hoodie

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the Thermal Weight sounds very similar- grid fleece, base layer cut and about the same weight- if the wicking and breathability of the Kuiu is similar I’ll be very pleased :)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I really like Cuddl Duds Stretch Fleecewear Half Zip Hoodie . Prior to Christmas I payed$12 dollars but right now for $20 is still a great price, here is a review  8 OZ Cuddl Duds Winter Fleecewear Stretch Half-Zip Hoodie  mine weighs less but I can wear a smaller size.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

can’t argue with a fleece hoody for $20 :)

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Locale: SoCal

Yeah, looks like Cap Thermal weight hoody is also 3.8 oz/yd power grid. My Adahy fleece is actually more breathable than both, but not nearly as warm. Peloton is base for me so top layer is also important to breathability. I pair with active pieces (e.g., Marmot Alpha 60, Strafe Alpha Direct) that use air permeable face fabrics.

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Cuddle Dud link is to women’s hoody. Do they make a men’s version?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

No they only make women’s

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

received my hoody the other day, definitely the right call going XL- the Large would have been too restrictive (probably fine as a cold weather base layer, not fine for layering over a light base layer)

this thing is uberlight!  fleece (albeit a light fabric) w/ a hood AND a 1/2 zip at 5.6 oz (in an XL!) is almost elvish in nature :)

oh and the hood is perfect, as good as my Patagonia thermal weight

this will be accompanying this spring on the Bob Marshall Open!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Please report your thoughts on the piece when you get a chance to put it through it’s paces.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Brad- will do!

Mike

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Well happy to report that the Peloton Hoody is a winner- I’ve used it as a mid-layer (over a very light OR Echo top) on the move and has worked really well.  I’ve also been using it a sleep piece (again over the base layer).

I was so impressed with the hoody, that I ordered the zip off bottoms- also surprisingly light (5.3 oz in Medium).  I’ve also used it as a sleep piece and if the mornings are cold (which in Montana in the winter they are :)) I’ve been leaving the bottoms on.  Down the trail when it warms, you can simply zip them off (without taking off your boots!).

I haven’t used either as just a base layer, but have no reason to believe they wouldn’t perform admirably.

I think both will find there way into my pack on this year’s Bob Marshall Wilderness Open :)

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Good to hear it’s working the way you intended it to. I’ve only used mine as a base layer typically paired with active insulated pieces like alpha direct (Marmot 60, Strafe), Atom SL, and Marmot Driclime. In somewhat warmer weather I use with a light shell like Kor Preshell or BD Alpine Start. How are you finding the stink control? I’ve found the Makspec works a bit better than Polygiene. I use the Peloton more often now than my Neothermo hoody.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’ve only had it out on a couple of 3 day trips and then only as a mid-layer, but seems good.  Longer trip and used as a base layer good change that????

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

I’ve found I can get several uses before a wash with the Peloton, whereas my Pulse hoody will typically need it after three hikes. Neither base layer is as good on odor though as my Merino stuff like the Rab 120, Bjorn Daehlie, or FS Wick Hoody.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

looked up the Pulse- looks very similar to OR’s Echo- a very light, grid synthetic

that’s about what I get out of the Echo too before needing washing

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Yup, very similar, Rab calls it Motiv fabric. My Terramar Transport Tee is also similar idea to Pulse/Echo.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Ahhh- you can add Capilene Lightweight and Sitka’s Core Lightweight to the list as well- definitely good stuff :)

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Okay, been off the site awhile.  How is the Peloton 97 different than a OR Echo Hoody since they are about the same weight?  It looks like the 97 might be a bit thicker.  Also I have a OR Ascendant Hoody initial release in XXL that was an REI variant that was a bit more weather resistant but a slight bit less breathable (30d I think).  How does that stack up against the Marmot 60 which I think is a bit thinner and the Strafe Alpha Direct?  Thank you.

And yes, I wish they made OR (or anyone else) Echo Hoodies with a quarter zip in white in XXL.

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Brett,

The Peloton 97 is a fleece and much warmer for weight than the Echo or Pulse hoody. The Karuishi fleece has a soft brushed interior and smooth outer surface. Pulse/Echo are more warm weather sun hoody type pieces similar to lightweight Capilene.

I also have an early version of the Ascendent (Nimbus) that is 95g alpha direct paired with Pertex Microlight. Besides being less insulated at only 60g alpha direct, the Marmot uses Pertex Quantum Air as the face fabric. Quantum Air is much more breathable (20 CFM) than Microlight. The Strafe Alpha Direct Insulator is similar weight Alpha Direct (90g) to Ascendant, but uses an even more breathable (Recon Air) face fabric than the Marmot and does not have a hood.

For me, the main difference in the Alpha Direct jackets is the Marmot and Strafe work a lot better than the Ascendant as active insulation due to the increased breathability. The Marmot is also more of a summer alpine piece due to its lighter insulation. I also have a hoody (Macpac Nitro) made of just pure alpha direct (90g). Wearing the Nitro as the lone outer layer you can feel how much of a difference the face fabric of the other pieces makes in terms of breathability.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thank you Michael.  I believe I have a Ascendant Nimbus also in the XXL.    I find it keeps me warm enough down to about freezing while just walking and wearing an Echo T under an Echo long sleeve.  I would probably not go more breathable since it tends to stop most of the wind we have here on the plains and does repel light rain.

As for 97 is seems that an XXL would run about 6.6oz and maybe a bit more to fix the hood.  I wonder how the sizing is to cover my 6’4″, 225# frame?  I am interested in it but from some people’s comments it does seem a bit fragile and for about 2.4 oz more I get a full zip with my MH Microchill lite full zip (once you remove the pockets) which is not fragile, has a full zip and looks to be a bit warmer.  Not trying to knock the 97, just seeing where it fits in.  Thank you.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’d call Kuiu on the sizing question- guessing XXL would work

the Microchill would be warmer (and heavier) if that’s what a guy wants; if you want a mid-layer that is lighter AND can serve as a base layer/sleep layer in colder weather, then the 97 would fill those roles pretty nicely

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Brett,

Yes, Nimbus has better wind resistance and warmth. Sounds like a good fit for the conditions and activities you describe.

I feel like Alpha Direct generally works best as an active insulator when paired with a more breathable face fabric than Microlight. The Strafe for example, although similar weight alpha as Nimbus, has a much wider temp band where you can just leave it on without getting overheated while ascending or descending. In similar conditions, with Nimbus I will get significant puddling in the chest pocket and interior moisture buildup while being active. I still use the Ascendent for casual walking around and occasionally hiking in colder weather. The hand-warmer pockets are my favorite feature as I like how easy it is too access those for a quick warmup.

I don’t have Microchill Lite, but looks different from Karuishi fleece on the exterior. Couldn’t find it still for sale anywhere, but reviews indicate the listed weight of 4.8 is significantly off and closer to 8 or 9 oz.

Agree with Mike, give CS a call on Peloton sizing. I was looking for close base layer fit and they recommended large. I’m 5’9″, 180, 42 chest and large is close active fit on me. Yes, the smooth outer surface is great for easy layering, but does seem to snag fairly easy. Actually just checked it over now and only found a couple, but I use primarily as a base layer.

Snag on sleeve

Small snag near shoulder seam

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thanks for the information.  I guess I will look at these if it ever comes down in price as $100 is a bit much for a fleece baselayer top.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

if you sign up with them I believe they give you a 15% coupon, also if you happen to be a LEO/military you can get additional savings, but yeah it’s not an inexpensive piece (but it’s certainly not alone in that respect as far as outdoor clothing goes)

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Kuiu doesn’t have sales that often, and they’re not usually big percentages. They had a decent pre Black Friday, but only on certain items. That said, I got my Adahy Hoody on sale for around the same as full price Peloton. I use Adahy as mid layer or outer, Peloton as baselayer.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I think the Adahy Hoody would be like the MH MicroChill Lite fleece but that with the MH the microfleece is on the outside.  Is it possible to get some more pics of what the fabric looks like on the inside and outside?  Thank you.

There are not many large ascents or descents beyond a few hundred feet around here but there always seems to be wind and lots of light precip now that it rarely snows.  I find I don’t want anything more breathable than the Ascendant because some of those winds when it is 25mph+ get really cold.  And if I get too warm I can always just open up the zippers on the hoody.  But yeah, most of this stuff is based on the environment and the person.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools