Topic

5 Ounce Fleece Hoodie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 5 Ounce Fleece Hoodie

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Five Star – thanks for the specs on something besides a medium. How is the fit in xxl? Any measurements? Much appreciated!

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I could not resist, but to rationalize just a little I ordered a Peloton 97 Zip-T hoodie from the Kuiu outlet instead of the Mountain Fit in order to save a few bucks.I can’t say if the fit is the same on the two garments; clearly it’s the same fabric since they state that clearly. Features appear to be the same.

Mine is medium, and 5.5 oz. on my scale. The sleeves are long and the body a bit short but that suits me as I have a short torso and long arms.

Fabric is significantly thinner than powerstretch or 100 weight grid fleece. But clearly will be warmer than, and weighs the same as, my base layer shirt that I wear to hike in – plus has a hood. It promises to pack a pretty good warmth to weight ratio. For summer high mountain backpacking, I have usually brought two shirts – one to hike in, and one to sleep in, and if it gets cold enough I may wear them both together. This would do very well as that second shirt – comfy jammies especially with the hood. For lower elevation trips I can see just this and a shell being all I’d need. I wish more manufacturers were using this fabric. I’d like to see some long johns in this stuff. Kuiu has longs but they are full side zip, which I don’t want.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

@Curt

Fit:  Arms a bit long but appropriately so if you’re using the thumb hole (which is a bit smallish).  Length and fit otherwise about average on my 6’2″ 230# self.  Note though that the hood is kinda loose when zipped fully, almost as if it was designed for a helmet.  I got quite toasty during the 60 seconds I had it on.  Pretty sure you could layer this over a thin baselayer.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

D@mm you guys. Talked me into it and I just pulled the trigger.

Anyone wants a 15% discount PM  ma with your email address  QUICKLY and I’ll click on the “share with a friend” thingy and get you the discount but have to do it while the screen is still up I guess.

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

What exactly is the difference between the Mountain Fit and the Peloton? The Mountain Fit just seems to have fancier tech talk in the description…is there any real world difference?

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

I ended up emailing them.

“Thank you for your email. The Mountain Fit Hoodie and The Peloton 97 Hoodie are the exact same product, but the Mountain Fit Hoodie has a few reflective accents to make you visible when running in low light. Please let us know if you have any questions.”

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Anyone have an opinion as to how well these wick as compared to Polartec PoweDry/PowerStretch? Is this material a true wicking baselayer?  (Sounds like it is looser fit, so probably not?)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

That’s interesting Scott, I emailed them as well. Here’s the answer I got:

Yes, there are a couple differences between the Mountain fit and the Peloton 97.
    Our Mountain Fit line is designed for off season training while the Peloton 97 is designed as a durable base or mid layer depending on weather conditions.
    * please note that the mountain fit is made of a different (sport) fabric.*

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Well that clears that up ::eye roll:: haha.

Think I’ll just pull the trigger on the outlet 97

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a very similar REI light fleece pullover – no hood. Nice for a sleep shirt.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I pulled the trigger on a medium 97 outlet….  We’ll see what its like….

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Does anyone have an idea on how this compares in terms of warmth to the Patagonia Cap 4 hoody which had Polartec Power Dry High Efficiency (not the newest one with “PowerGrid”)?  This would seemingly save about 3 oz and I’m interested in it if it is warmer.  Another possible benefit is that it likely dries faster since the Mountain Fit is 100% polyester whereas the Patagonia has 8% Spandex.  Also, how is the hood?  When it is zipped up what portion of the neck or face is covered?  On me, the Patagonia covers up to just below the mouth (The neck and chin) .

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon. It is a medium. I’m, 5’9″, 160. I wear like a 15.5 neck , 33″ sleeve or a 41  sportcoat. The length from the bottom hem up the zipper to the top is 28″ A medium might get a little short on someone over 6′

The fit is not tight but comfortable. I really like the thumb-holes. The sleeve without stretching goes over my palm to the base-palm knuckle. Using the thumbhole I have coverage to the second knuckle which I think is perfect.

The zipper covers up to the chin and the hood fits very well without fitting tight like a wetsuit hoody. Not sure why another commenter found it loose like it was designed to fit over a climbing helmet? Must’ve misunderstood that.

It weighs 144 grams or 5.1 ounces.

It is very comfortable and cosy with an inside, next to skin texture sort of reminiscent of the Stephenson warmlite fuzzy stuff for those familiar with that. Also very giving/stretchy.

Also breathes well. I wore it next to skin taking the dog for a walk in 56 degree, 15 mph wind, very humid air and could feel the breeze enough to know it breaths well. I wasn’t chilled

Pardon the digression but even with lots of experience it’s difficult to adjust for the difference in sensible cold from a maritime location with a saturated atmosphere and lots of wind to a typically drier atmosphere in the effect on sensible temperature; even with decades of experience and living in drier climes like Colorado at 10,800 feet or spending lots of time in the 4 corners but I’d say it’s at least 15 to 20 degrees. One thing that stands out from experience with cold windy and wet is that a hood makes a really big difference, even as compared with a similar weight top + a similar weight cap. That’s why I found this product interesting.

It’s warm. I’d say,  that with a cap 1 base and a lite shell it would do for aerobic activities like backpacking, skiing, snow-shoeing etc. well below freezing, like even upper teens, 20 but you’d want a bivy jacket if you stopped moving. Wetter, maritime climes you could push it to @  or below freezing. maybe setting 30 as a bottom limit though interestingly enough once you get below 30 the moisture level tends to drop as well (sometimes even falling as snow;) and the spread in comfort range shrinks. Anyway I also have a cap 4 or thermal weight crew neck and shooting from the hip would guess this is not as warm beneath a shell and also less breathable but along with that; warmer without a shell, shedding wind a little better. And then there’s that hood; and the weight.

Speaking of digressions I found Kuiu doing some reading and research on the Nahanni when I came across some of their excellent videos. Though in the past or when I was younger I was an avid hunter and fisherman I’ve moved on. The fact that their core market target appears to be relatively affluent North American big game hunters is notable but it is not a pursuit that I’d either endorse or condemn. HYOH.

I’d buy it again in a minute. I’ll post a couple of shots as soon as I get the time to do the requisite re-sizing. Guess I need to set up a file just available for open public viewing of photos on google drive or something to avoid the se-sizing hassle?

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

“Not sure why another commenter found it loose like it was designed to fit over a climbing helmet? Must’ve misunderstood that.”

That was me.  My hood is kinda loose, but not ridiculously so.  Certainly has room to wear something under it.  But mine is an XXL.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Five Star maybe that’s a difference between the mountainfit and the peloton? Maybe that’s just the price you have to pay for being a big burly dude? ;)  ( seriously I bet looking for XXL stuff that fits can be more than a little tedious: the things we take for granted!)

Anyway the peloton medium fits fine on a 7.25 to 7&3/8 noggin.

Here’s a couple of photos:

Below: Hood, zipper and seamless underarm: The underarm is the brown band in the foreground

Thumbhole: seamless hole in inset section at the end of the sleeve

Fuzzy inside fabric face around my thumb

Bonus sunset: Jockey’s Ridge Saturday: Kill to get crimson

I’ve got hundreds of these. Start a “Sunset of the day” thread?  ( or please spare us?)

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

Hi I want the outlet L one sent to Aus. Only M left and the XL is way too big. I am between sizes and want to know from a M owner their chest size and height. I wouldn’t be fussed if it was a bit tight.  Bodyweight doesnt really help. I am 102cms with the tape snug around my chest and 179cms tall. The Mountain fit is too expensive. Thanks for any help you can give. Im happy to take a punt and am keen on one of these- I just need to know if anyone has an M with my dimensions and how tight/loose it is. Ta.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I’m about 103cm with the tape snug around my flabby chest at the nipples (measuring myself, if that makes a difference), and about 5′ 7-8″ tall. The medium fits great, closely without being skin tight (this is the Mountain Fit, which I assume fits the same as the Peleton97).

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Thanks kindly Doug for helping, that is just what I was after.

Do you think it would look skintight over a thin LW CAP shirt, or even over a hiking/fishing very thin shirt.

Or would you only wear it as a base layer because it has that tighter fit?

My height is 5 feet  10 1/2 inches being a bit taller would this cover much of my bum do you think or would it end at my belt line/hips area?

Is there a little bit of an air gap between you and the hoody fabric?

Ta again matey!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

101  chest x 175 height. Fits loosely with space for layering. collar to bottom hem @ 71 cm so measure from @ your adam’s apple down and that’s where the bottom hem will be. Still plenty of room with a cap one  long sleeve’T” beneath. See below. I like the loose fit. But that said I think this item would feel good even if it were a snug fit like a compression type shirt. I just wanted a looser fit for layering. I could easily layer a cap 4 crew neck under this. In the photo below it’s about 6″ off my chest where I’m holding the zipper

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

For those of you needing a smaller size (S or XS), Kuiu said they may only offer additional sizes in 2019 if the Mountain Fit Hoodie sells well.

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

@ Graham,

My Kuiu hoodie came in the mail today.  Mine is a size medium, and weighs 4.975 ounces on my scale.

I am almost your exact height, and 94 centimeters at the chest (with a full inhalation).   I believe this will only cover just below the belt line in length, as it does for me.  Especially true for me when wearing the hood.  I have a longer neck than this hood was designed for.  And when wearing it with the hood and raising an arm (with thumb in thumb hole, the hoodie rides up above the waist. The cut is boxy at the hem for me, but could be a nice snug fit for someone with a 102 chest.

I don’t believe that I will wear this over my thin fishing shirts, but possibly over a merino wool blend tee shirt.  I just tried the fishing shirt/hoodie combo.  After taking half a minute to smooth the fabric around the arms and shoulders, it actually felt fine.  But not quite as comfortable as a stretchy tee shirt underneath.  Also, my arms are pretty much medium diameter for my height.  Somebody with bigger shoulders and arms may feel more binding with a fishing shirt underneath..  The arms are cut more form-fitting than the body, in my observation.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

OBX your bloods worth bottling! I owe you a beer! (Thanks Doug, my apologies obx.)

That is fantastic.

Thank you kindly again for your help and the photo..

Sorry, one more question if it’s not too much trouble?

How do you find the fit of the hood-does it run up onto your chin, or end up under your chin.

I prefer a tightish fitting hood.

Cheers

Graham

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Victor thank you also. That is excellent to know.

I owe you a  beer as well!

I reckon I would carry and wear this to bed as a stand alone PJ top in the cold.

And/or over a Long Shore Drift Columbia (my choice of walking shirt-stunning breathabilty and no sun gets through) in cool walking conditions.

Also could be worn as a static item at the end of the day in cooler weather -then wear it to bed as PJs.

Or over a LW Cap Pata. It seems doable and could be a real multi function item, an idea which I love.

Thanks very much for all the help.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

the photo is from obxhiker, not me! You owe him a beer!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

That Doug sure is a good looking guy! ;)

I tried it back on after reading Victor’s comments and Agree with Victor the forearms especially are a closer fit; and while exceptionally buff I’m no Pop-eye.

Victor’s observation about the length are spot on. Wouldn’t want to wear this as an absolute next to skin base unless it was tucked I tried it on my 175 height with the hood on and it didn’t come loose from being tucked in loosely . Also the hood can sit either under or on/over my chin. But untucket  (couldn’t resist) and you may get a little extra venting. Guess it depends on your torso length and neck length.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools