Topic

5 Ounce Fleece Hoodie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 5 Ounce Fleece Hoodie

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

Sorry obx!

Please see my retraction above.

2 beers coming your way.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

2 hearted ales please

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

My head measurement is 22″, kind of between medium and large.  Regarding hood fit, let me elaborate on a point that I made about the neck length of the hood.  The fabric lifts up from my trapezius area at the nape of my neck when I am wearing the hood, but because of the good fabric stretch, this doesn’t cause any discomfort at all.  But I have some slight concern that this may not be holding body heat as well as it might, with a more conforming drape to the fit of the neck.

The hood fits the opening of my face very well when fully zipped up.  It comes right up to the bottom of my chin, without any irritation.  It moves well from side to side without any slipping.  The top of the opening is the only border of the hood which is not ideal for me.  It rides just above my hairline, rather than just above my eyebrows.  This might be perfect when hiking with a truckers hat.  But I will need something more to keep my forehead warm while sleeping in this hoodie.  My Hoodlum will take care of this for me.  Or I may pair the hoodie with a wool cap, either under or over the Kuiu hood.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

I have to ask -what is a hearted ale?

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Ah, very interesting about the hood Victor thanks. I wonder if you might put a ultrathin elastic in the hem- and according to the pic there is one, then it would be perfect! Undo a stitch or two insert elastic and hand sew it up.

I had a seamstress put one in my Borah gear vest sleeve hole-genius! The vest is now perfectly fitted to me.

Added only about 4 grams.

Yes I would like it down near the brow but I carry an ultrathin Icebreaker beanie when walking in the cold, so that may go under or over it-just tried to use the discount code and the site won’t allow me. Bugger!

Will have to send them an email-I think their server sees me as an overpaid Ozzie!

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

Good luck with the discount code!

And the elastic hood adjustment would be a great upgrade!  Then again, somebody else with a different neck and shoulder configuration, may find that the elastic idea is totally not needed.

Also, I think it would be far more comfortable to layer the fishing shirt OVER the hoodie.  Fabric glides over the tight knit outer surface of the hoodie with ease.  The lower friction of layering it that way, translates to greater freedom of movement.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

I added a piece of thin elastic cord to the hood opening on my Peloton 97. As Graham surmises it is easily done. You don’t even need to unstitch anything. Just use a large needle, and thread the cord right through the fabric into the tunnel on one side of the zipper, through the tunnel to the other side, and right back out through the fabric. A few quick hand stitches will hold the tail end in place. At the business end, I used a small button as a cordlock. You’ve possibly got an unused spare on a shirt-tail somewhere – that’s where I found mine. Just thread the cord through 2 of the 4 holes in the button. Very simple, very secure, and very light.

Now that I’ve used the hoody a bit and haven’t adjusted the cord much, I’m tempted to cut off the excess, get rid of the button, and stitch the end in place. That would probably save 1-2 grams. Oh my!  :-)  But first I need to be certain that I’ve got the length just right.

Victor’s comments on the hood fit are generally spot on and I concur wholeheartedly.  But I note that there’s a very good reason for the extra fabric at the nape of the neck. If that fabric is not there, then when you bend your head forward (tuck your chin), the hood will necessarily ride up on your forehead. I have another hoody (older Sitka Core Lightweight) which I like very much except that when I wake up in the morning the hood is always up on top of my head. That hoody has no extra fabric at the nape and this is a design flaw.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

That is genius Eric. The seamstress I referred to had me move all over the shop with the Borah vest on and adjusted it for me. If I had to do it I would be a bit lost as to how much to remove.

The length she said, and I went with is perfect-I would have made it tighter thus probably strangling my arm pits and stuffing it up.

Your idea of using it and not committing is excellent. Then trim/or not.

I will do this. Thanks.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Graham that’s Bell’s 2-Hearted Ale. Probably hasn’t made it to the antipodean land of Oz.  I guess trout have 2 hearts? and they’re great fighters? It’s a really tasty I.P.A. A little more tale with every ale ;). Wait a minute… that may be the Cuttroat Ale from Montana. It’s all good!

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Mmmm it’s 6.30 am now but I could easily have one later.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

It’s go time! They just lowered the price to $59!

Just ordered a M to OZ thanks everyone.

I went to add a tiburon which is also a good price I reckon, but the postage went from $15 to $35. So backed out and am now awaiting the 97 Peleton.

Giddy up.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

They got me with the P 97 price drop. I think the big question with this fabric is how long it stays fluffy. Once it starts to clump, can it be brushed like conventional fleece to restore loft?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Once it starts to clump,”

There’s such a small nap to this fabric I don’t see it ever clumping.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

“Layer the fishing shirt over the hoody”- yes Victor, that is on the cards for certain and something I have thought about, this being such a multi useful piece. I concur.

Now I just need the bloody thing to get here. Why is the US so far away?

I also still like that Tiburon, (that’s 3 beers I owe you OBX, I might as well fly there, buy you beer and save on postage! ) but only an M left- bugger!

Serenity now!

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Graham said “I reckon I would carry and wear this to bed as a stand alone PJ top in the cold.”

I think I’m going to try for just that on my AT section hike in December.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Hey fivestar yours was the loose hood wasn’t it?

Put the ultrathin elastic in the hem (I will if necessary) and the PJ situation will be even better!

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

My Peloton 97 just arrived.  Mine weighed in at exactly 5.00 ounces for a medium size.  I’m 5′-9″ tall and weigh 156 pounds.  The medium fits me well.  It could stand to be more form fitting.  I also have about 5 inches off the chest when I pull on it.

I’m going to use this for 2 seasons.  I’ll use my Cap 4 1/4 zip for the the other 2 seasons.  The Cap 4 will be for colder seasons.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Got mine. Love the fabric. But the hood is too short. Some combination of big head and long neck, I guess. Putting it in the trade section of the forum.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Mine finally arrived (took one week to leave California, bounced around between POs!!) and wanted to say thanks to all the help. It is perfect for my body shape! All the info passed on to me here was spot on!

Will (probably) put an elastic as mentioned in the hood to go more Ninja like. So I can look like “Tonbei the mist” from The Samurai tv show!  https://www.google.com.au/search?q=shintaro+tv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjag4rhk87eAhVSfH0KHYBWAR8Q_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=646&dpr=1.5#imgrc=m3YdCilBs18dYM:

Wish I had a second one!

Ta again.

Cheers Graham

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

A wee bit of feedback after about 100 hours use under a day pack-about 3-4 kgs.

Truly stellar top!- used in 6C  to 18C trying to inundate it, get a tiny bit sweaty but dries while you are thinking about it. Ultra stretchy and so smooth.

Sat the other morn in moderate wind 12C (7C with windchill) hot from walking, had a coffee, did it all up, zippered hood, thumbs in holes the lot-only had an ultrathin merino t shirt underneath, nothing over the top of it-fully static for 25 minutes.

I did not cool down anything like I would have with the PatCTH–breathes well and maintains better warmth. You beaut.

I’ve worn it only as an outer layer. In this respect the perfect outer layer-better than the Pat Cap Thermal Hoody? Maybe! More multifunctional for sure, but….

Sold as a baselayer and this creates a potential problem which I have encountered already.

Spacer mesh on padding will abrade the ultra smooth surface, but so far only if there is constant sideways rubbing.

Shoulder strap- no problem as it stays in one place-NO pilling

Decided to run with my day pack (I never use the hip belt) which is an 8L cycling one that has two small pads on the back and the swinging motion created 2 very lightly pilled areas on the back about 4 X 4 cms.

I am walking for two days this w/end and will use it as my outer layer and don’t feel concerned with the backpanel- VX42 rubbing it -I don’t use a hip belt with that either. I am hoping that the smoothness of the VX will move across it fine, but time will tell.

So if you have that spacer mesh on your rucksack and intend on using it as an outer layer  just try and avoid side ways rubbing and all should be well. For what it’s worth the Pata CTH has never abraded when used like this. Stronger, yet less stretchy face.

As a base layer alone I reckon it would be superb. But multifuntion for me is the key to everything I use.

Cheers.

Eric Peterson
    Spectator

@moose_ecp

Locale: New England

For people interested in this hoodie (great reviews here, thanks to all who’ve posted), the Peloton 97 version is available right now (no longer in the outlet) in sizes M-XXL in black color for $70 as a part of their Black Friday Sale.

https://www.kuiu.com/shop/shirts-tops/hoodies/peloton-97-zip-t-hoodie/20031.html?cgid=shirts-hoodies&dwvar_20031_color=Black#start=1

I just pulled the trigger on a size large.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I just ordered one (had a discount code)- I went back and forth between Large and XL, and finally decided on a XL as my intention for this piece to be used layered over a light base layer.

I really like the idea of a light fleece hoody :)

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Locale: SoCal

I got a large in black couple of months ago. Was looking for close next to skin fit baselayer hoodie to wear under mid and outer layers. I’m 42 chest and athletic/muscular build. The large is good close fit in chest and shoulders, more roomy in lower torso. My Rab 120 Merino is thin enough that I could wear it under, but I like the soft feel of the fleece and it wicks really well. XL is probably good call if you plan to layer under.

Love it as a baselayer and often wear it with Atom SL and Strafe Alpha Direct. The hood keeps ears warm and zip provides some venting if needed. The outer face does snag/run pretty easily. I’ve never worn without top layer except around house and still have a few snags in it.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

sounds like we’re similarly sized; if the XL is too big- I’ll send it back for a Large :)

looking forward to getting it

I use Cap 4/Thermal Weight/possibly yet another name? hoody as a winter baselayer- I’ll have to compare the two in that role, thus far no complaints from the Pata hoody though

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Locale: SoCal

I have a Polartec power grid (Marmot Neothermo) hoody I often use as baselayer. Little heavier (8.1) than Peloton, closer fit, similar wicking and breathability, touch warmer. Also like my Aerowool 150 Wick hoody as a base, works well in both cool and warmer temps.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools