What follows is a sampling of Member’s only articles (as well as a few public ones) that are accessible to those with a Forum Membership. The purpose of this list is primarily to provide access to some of our more popular signature pieces that give you an idea of the types of content that we publish.
In addition, and perhaps more important, we’ve hand picked these pieces to give you a solid foundation of what we think are important pieces to the vast mosaic of lightweight backpacking information. We hope you find these articles to be valuable on your road to traveling lighter in the backcountry.
Keep in mind that this is a very small sample of the Backpacking Light archives, and as a full member, you have access to our entire archive (2000+ articles as of 2015).
Of course, start here with The Art of Ultralight.
State of the Market Reports
- Ultralight Waterproof-Breathable Jackets: 2012 State of the Market Report Part 1
- Lightweight Inflatable Sleeping Airmats – State of the Market 2011 Part 1
- Lightweight Frameless Backpacks State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1
- Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 1
- Unconventional Sleep Systems Manifesto
Research & Technology Reports
- Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide – Deadly or not? Part 1: Theory
- A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods – Part 1
- Comparative Fuel Efficiency and Carry Weight for Six Lightweight Backpacking Cooking Systems: Part I
- Frameless Backpacks: Engineering Analysis of the Load Carrying Performance of Selected Lightweight Packs
- Lightweight Footwear Systems for Snow Travel Part 1: Principles and Techniques for Keeping Feet Dry and Warm
- A Case Study of Unsupported, Roadless, Long Distance Trekking: Part 1. Pack Weight, Distance, and Caloric Balance
- Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight Part 1, Introduction