What follows is a sampling of Member’s only articles (as well as a few public ones) that are accessible to those with a Basic Membership (which also allows you to post in the forums). The primary purpose of this collection is to provide access to some of our more popular signature pieces that give you an idea of the types of content that we publish.
Also, and perhaps more important, we’ve hand picked these pieces to give you a solid foundation of what we think are important pieces of the vast mosaic of lightweight backpacking information. We hope you find these articles to be valuable on your road to traveling lighter in the backcountry.
Keep in mind that this is a limited sample of the Backpacking Light archives. As a Premium or Unlimited Member, you have access to our entire archive (17+ years, 2000+ articles, 4+ million words of content).
Watch The 60-Second Backpacker, Episode 1: Weigh Your Stuff
State of the Market Reports
- Ultralight Waterproof-Breathable Jackets: State of the Market Report Part 1
- Lightweight Inflatable Sleeping Airmats – State of the Market Part 1
- Lightweight Frameless Backpacks State of the Market Report: Part 1
- Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report Part 1
- Unconventional Sleep Systems Manifesto
Research & Technology Reports
- Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide – Deadly or not? Part 1: Theory
- A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods – Part 1
- Comparative Fuel Efficiency and Carry Weight for Six Lightweight Backpacking Cooking Systems: Part I
- Frameless Backpacks: Engineering Analysis of the Load Carrying Performance of Selected Lightweight Packs
- How to Use Trekking Poles: the Gas-Brake-Coast Method
- Lightweight Footwear Systems for Snow Travel Part 1: Principles and Techniques for Keeping Feet Dry and Warm
- Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight Part 1, Introduction