Episode 67 | How to Poop in the Woods (Skills and Tools for Backcountry Pooping)
Listen to the podcast on Itunes, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts.
In this skills short episode of the Backpacking Light Podcast, Andrew and Ryan talk sh**, a.k.a, 💩.
How to poop in the woods? It’s an age-old question, particularly as popular backcountry sites become more crowded.
This episode addresses the question of how long poop takes to decompose and suggests alternative LNT-approved methods (beyond catholes) for dealing with human waste.
- 0:00:00 – podcast introduction
- 0:01:14 – the old ways of waste disposal in the backcountry and their issues (does poop decompose?)
- 0:04:39 – why include a trowel in your kit
- 0:06:01 – wag bags
- 0:10:24 – hygiene in the backcountry
- 0:13:58 – final thoughts: preventing GI distress through hygiene
- Ryan talks more about his backcountry bidet system in podcast Episode 50 | Listener Q & A.
- Read this interview with the inventor of an iconic backcountry trowel.
- Mark Wetherington has written several articles recently at Backpacking Light covering Leave No Trace skills, specifically in winter and natural hot spring environments, which include more thoughts on waste disposal and management.
- Check out this forum:
About the Backpacking Light Podcast
- Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | RSS
Feedback, Questions, Tips?
- Submit them via email or Twitter and get featured on our next podcast!
- Backpacking Light - Executive Producer
- Ryan Jordan - Director and Host
- Chase Jordan - Producer
- Look for Me in the Mountains - Music
- Written by: Chris Cunningham and Ryan Jordan
- Performed by: Chris Cunningham (acoustic guitar, lead and harmony vocals, harmonica), Chad Langford (upright bass), and Tom Murphy (mandolin).
- Produced by: Basecamp Studios in Bozeman, Montana
- This episode of the Backpacking Light Podcast is supported and kept advertising-free by Backpacking Light membership fees. Please consider becoming a member which helps support projects like this podcast, in addition to a whole slew of other benefits!
You can contact us at [email protected], or follow us on social media -
- Backpacking Light - Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Ryan Jordan - Instagram | Twitter | WWW
- Chase Jordan - WWW
- Some links on this page may be “affiliate” links. If you click on one of these links and visit one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently place an order with that retailer, we receive a small commission. These commissions help us provide authors with honoraria, fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!
Home › Forums › Episode 67 | How to Poop in the Woods (Skills and Tools for Backcountry Pooping)