Topic

The Holy Grail of Long Handled Spoons?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Holy Grail of Long Handled Spoons?

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

And like the holy grail, unavailable.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

They do look out of stock on most places, which surprises me. I picked one up in a local store a couple of years ago. I like it, but the bowl is a bit smaller than ideal.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

This is the Holy Grail of spoons.  Why?   Long enough, light enough, and folds securely without being clunky.  And, it’s inexpensive.

While nice enough, it can’t be the Holy Grail… the “business end” of the folding MSR is entirely too small. My wife uses it and likes it, but it’s just too svelt for my big gob! :)

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

To each his own.  I find the plastic MSR folding utensils both too flimsy and too small.  My current precious is the Optimus long folding TI spoon which, sadly, appears to no longer be made.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Some of my spoons – Left to right:

Fitness City “Longest Handle Spoon.” Titanium. Has an excellent sized “business end.” And is looong…  9-11/16″ – 0.81oz’s. I think it’s the finest non-folding Ti spoon made.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/finessCity/page/559E490C-D7FF-4687-8012-CA4D5B0D5C4C?ref_=ast_bln

REI Long Spoon. Acetal . Excellent sized business end. 8-7/8″ – 0.56 oz’s. Fairly rigid. DISCONTINUED. I think I have 3 of these around the house.

https://www.rei.com/product/781529/rei-co-op-campware-long-spoon?cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-152258-_-189374-_-NA&avad=189374_e1f1756ed

Snow Peak Folding Ti. Smaller business end than those above, but still large enough to satisfy me. 8-1/2″ Folds to 4-7/8″ – 0.85 oz’s. DISCONTINUED. If you can find one, I consider it as close to the Holy Grail as likely possible. Pretty much the only spoon I use anymore.

https://www.rei.com/product/109596/snow-peak-long-folding-spoon

“Portion Control Spoon” from Carslisle Foodservice Products. Polycarbonate. Withstands heat up to 270F. Excellent sized business end. 8-1/4″ – 0.53 oz’s. Probably a better spoon than the REI Long Spoon. Its business end is almost a bowl, is more rigid and significantly more heat resistant while being just a bit more compact, yet still long enough to eat from a food bag. Pretty tough to beat for $1.40.

https://www.carlislefsp.com/food-bars-and-accessories/polycarbonate-spoons/446002\

MSR Folding Spoon. Nylon. The least satisfying business end – too small for me. Feels flimsy/non-rigid but is the lightest and most compact @ 8″ – 0.35 oz’s – Folds to 4-3/8”. It’s my wife’s favorite spoon.

https://www.rei.com/product/849664/msr-folding-spoon

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

My current precious is the Optimus long folding TI spoon which, sadly, appears to no longer be made.

Indeed, that looks outstanding. And of course falls into that frustrating category “if it’s good they’ll quit making it.”

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Fitness City “Longest Handle Spoon.” Titanium. Has an excellent sized “business end.” And is looong…  9-11/16″ – 0.81oz’s. I think it’s the finest non-folding Ti spoon made.

This one. I’ve been using this spoon for a few years now and it is indeed the best. Longest, and a real chow shoveler.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Better link for the Carlisle spoon. It’s the .5oz version. On sale, $1.19 :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

my search for the grail spoon is over, 9″ long- easily navigates any and all freeze-dried/dehydrated pouches and the spoon end is like a front end loader- no disappointingly small spoonfuls with this

and it weighs all of 0.5 oz

done

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

my search for the grail spoon is over, 9″ long- easily navigates any and all freeze-dried/dehydrated pouches and the spoon end is like a front end loader- no disappointingly small spoonfuls with this and it weighs all of 0.5 oz

That looks to be the GSI Pouch Spoon mentioned one page back. It’s exactly the same as the REI Long Spoon. My guess is GSI made REI’s, since the geometry, length, weight and Acetal construction are the same.

However, in true looney form, I must politely point out that the Holy Grail Spoon will pack smaller than any non-folding spoon ever can. LOL!

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I’d be trimming that one down; I don’t like eating from a bucket on a stick, which is the sensation that large spoons create.  I take small bites.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

I’d be trimming that one down; I don’t like eating from a bucket on a stick, which is the sensation that large spoons create. I take small bites.

Then the MSR should be your huckleberry. If I didn’t mind the small business end and the fact it’s nylon that’s what I’d use… but I absolutely prefer Ti or Stainless.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I didn’t realize it was the same as the REI, but yup the GSI mentioned previously

If it folded like the MSR, that would really be something :)

Yeah small bites don’t cut it here

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

If it folded like the MSR, that would really be something :)

Get creative!  Surely there’s an easy folding joint that can be cut into spoon handles… 😉

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Get creative!  Surely there’s an easy folding joint that can be cut into spoon handles… 😉

Well yeah… but I don’t have to. I already own the Snow Peak Ti folding spoon!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Surely there’s an easy folding joint that can be cut into spoon handles…
    But I don’t want my spoon folding in half while I am eating dinner.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

hacksaw and Gorilla tape?  hmmm

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Indeed, that looks outstanding. And of course falls into that frustrating category “if it’s good they’ll quit making it.”

Just like every trail runner I have ever loved :(

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

But I don’t want my spoon folding in half while I am eating dinner.

I don’t either; I have zero use for a folding spoon.  But it ain’t all about us, man…

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

…I have zero use for a folding spoon.

I hear you, but I am not the shiniest car on the lot. I need to create systems that prevent me from screwing up by losing or leaving home key components.  Everything I need to eat packs away in a 130mm Toaks 900 ml pot. That includes the fuel canister, stove, spoon, knife, lighter, hot lips and kitchen towel.  A long spoon would have to go somewhere else.  Or be forgotten.  Discovering you have no way to eat on night 1 of a 5 night trip sucks.

IOW…a good folding spoon allows me to trick myself into not being (quite so) stupid.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I wasn’t criticizing the spoon choice: our choices in cutlery are very personal.  I, for example, find the folding portion of a spoon to ruin both the aesthetic form and physical function of the device…but if a folder is what you need to make the spoon fit into your cooking system, then so be it.  I’m surprised, however, that someone hasn’t 3D-printed the most perfect folding spoon in all of existence: carbon-laced polymer, hollow-core handle with honeycomb bracing inside, ideal surface-to-depth ratio in the bowl, an ingenuous folding joint that is neither obtrusive nor weak… it’s a project that’s begging for attention.</p>

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

maybe the gent with the 3D printer that made the UL saws????

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

General thinking is that 3D printing and food is not a good combo. Even if your materials are foodsafe and your printer has not had toxic materials run through it (unlikely) the layers harbor food and bacteria.

A 3D printed handle extender for a spoon would be fine if one was so inclined.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

General thinking is that 3D printing and food is not a good combo. Even if your materials are foodsafe and your printer has not had toxic materials run through it (unlikely) the layers harbor food and bacteria.

A 3D printed handle extender for a spoon would be fine if one was so inclined.

Ugh, that’s such a letdown.  I guess I’ll stick with my wooden spoon, then.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Also, I suspect the economics of designing, prototyping, testing, manufacturing, marketing and retailing a “holy grail folding spoon” for gram-retentive UL backpackers (numbering in the low three digits?) is rather…uh…grim.

We are a small, picky, opinionated group with a surprising dearth of overlapping gear goals…as this thread aptly demonstrates :)

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools