Topic

The Holy Grail of Long Handled Spoons?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Holy Grail of Long Handled Spoons?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I’m constantly on the lookout for the holy grail of long-handled spoons.  Sadly, my old long-handled REI Lexan spoons have disappeared years ago and they are no longer made:

https://www.rei.com/media/product/781529

My records indicate that these spoons weighed in at .39 oz, which is about the upper weight limit for a spoon for me.  Nowadays I use the Coghlans spoon from Walmart, which appears nearly identical to the REI variety but has a shorter handle (sigh).

http://www.redflarekits.com/3040?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6-PJBRCO_br1qoOB4LABEiQAEkqcVcEohoZV1NxBULv2q0SHOZIRz90KH2R3uEs4VLvS4D4aAvhg8P8HAQ

I love the size of the spoon, but not the handle length.  Any thoughts?  Is there anything else out there that is made from the same material (not interested in titanium) but with a longer handle.  DIY handles?  Tell me about your UL spoon enlightenment journey…

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I bought a 3pc set of mixing spoons at Walmart. One of the 3 was the size I wanted. I heated the end in boiling water to soften it and then curved the end to my liking. The link is to a site that will give you an idea of the “set”

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

The Holy Grail was made of Titanium.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I assume you are aware of the Sea to Summit long handled spoon?  It looks like the Ti versions but is actually Hard Anodized Aluminum  and is 0.4oz.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have some GSI Lexan spoons which have been excellent.

Cheers

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I like the MSR folding spoon but it has a small bowl which some people don’t like—doesn’t bother me. Weighs 9g and fits inside most cook kits.

I’ve tried a titanium spoon or two. As others have reported from time to time, to me Ti spoons have a weird mouth feel.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I mostly like the feel of Lexan (certainly more than titanium) and especially like just throwing it in a dishwasher after each trip.  It’s not as indestructible as all the “polycarbonate is bullet-proof glass” quips imply – I’ve had various Lexan implements fail on me.

I did a thread on some long-handled spoon options:
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/104912/

but it can be summarized by this photo:

The bamboo spoons have a lot going for them, including being a lot study and stiffer than the Lexan or Ti choices.  While not quite as long as the long-handled Ti spoons, wood is super easy to work with and extend.  70% of one handle left attached to its bowl and 70% of a different handle, cut from the distal end; joined with a spot of Gorilla Glue and you’d have a super-long reach spoon.

I couldn’t quite tell, but it looked like your Lexan spoon might not have been a teaspoon or soup spoon but made a group or serving-sized spoon?  I ask, because I think the company selling those bamboo soup spoons also had larger serving utensils.

“Spoons Of Unusual Size” in Princess-Bride speak.

It would be close to an ounce, but truly a “Spoon to rule over them all” to reference another movie.

You started it with the mention of “The Holy Grail”.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

If you don’t like titanium because of the “feel,” then maybe this one works (even though it’s almost twice your upper weight limit):

https://www.toaksoutdoor.com/products/slv-11

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have the BPL version that looks very similar to the REI one on David’s photo. (20.5g)

The polished Ti type. No odd feel for me and no taste from it.

My Snow Peak spork is also of polished Ti, same no odd feel, no taste.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Unfortunately, I don’t quite like the taste/feel of titanium as others have mentioned.  The Sea to Summit, at .4 oz, is no lighter than my long lost REI lexan spoon and probably has a smaller scoop volume.  I am intrigued by the bamboo soup spoon. Looks like you need to buy 10 at a time though:

https://www.bamboomn.com/8-Bamboo-Dinner-Utensils-p/utduxx.htm

Anyone else need 9 bamboo spoons?

Now one concern I have is whether the bamboo would stain and start growing mold.  Does anyone have experience with this?  My Coghlan’s spoon cleans easily, has a large scoop volume, just isn’t long enough…Now the first thing I’d do to that bamboo spoon is starting shaving weight (literally).  Sand it down and reweigh…The things we ULers and SULers obsess over!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Anyone else need 9 bamboo spoons?

I’ll take a couple, David :)

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Why not make a multi-use item out of the spoon handle? For example, an Easton Nano nail stake is 8 inches long and has a head with two distinct ridges, plus a hole where you could insert a pin. You’d only need to bring the bowl of the spoon and stub of a handle to connect it to the stake.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Now one concern I have is whether the bamboo would stain and start growing mold. Does anyone have experience with this?
    We have two wooden sppons in the kitchen: a large one used in the stew pot and a smaller one used for my wife’s morning porridge. Both are ‘quite old’.

I suggest that what matters is that you clean them reasonably well each day with hot water.

Cheers

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I have a Sea to Summit long handled aluminum spoon that I like – .4 oz gets me down to the bottom of those big Mtn house packages just fine. I don’t like too big a bowl on my spoon.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

“Furthermore, researchers found that disease-causing bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella could not be recovered from new bamboo cutting boards even shortly after they were put there. The bacteria placed by researchers on bamboo cutting boards did not multiply and gradually died. However, the surfaces of new plastic boards enabled the bacteria to persist.

Comparing the bacteria found on bamboo cutting boards, to those found lurking on plastic ones, when both have been cleaned manually, the researchers found more bacteria on a used plastic surface than on a used bamboo cutting board.

So, what makes bamboo cutting boards the best choice? The bamboo fibers which construct bamboo cutting boards contain anti-bacterial qualities. This unique anti-bacterial quality is due to an antimicrobial bio-agent called “bamboo kun” which is naturally found in the bamboo fiber. This “bamboo kun” makes bamboo a naturally anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and odor resistant fiber.”

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Cameron

Yes, I read that. Was it in New Scientist or AAAS Science?

Cheers

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Matthew: Send me a PM with a snail-mail address, I got a 25-pack last year.

Jeff W.
    BPL Member

@jcwhynot

Locale: Northeast
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

That Gossamer Gear offering looks nice and has a good bowl shape/size, but at “Average Weight 15-20 g 8.25″ Long, $9.95″, it’s only 1/4″ longer but 50% heavier than the $1 (or free from me) bamboo soup spoons.  For freeze-dried food pouches and FBC, a 9-inch spoon is A LOT longer than an 8″ spoon.

If only some factory in China made bamboo spoons that didn’t try to be a dinner utensil nor an overly-large serving utensil, but tried to be a long-handled backpacking spoon (and made millions of them), then we could have a 13-gram, 12”-long, sturdy, $1 option.  In the meantime, I’ll keep using my belt sander and some epoxy to take down and build up existing spoons to my ideal.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Hey Roger

I found the quotation in an article about bamboo cutting boards where they only cited “UC Davis”. I looked it up because I have heard similar counter-intuitive claims about normal wood cutting boards vs plastic.

I should sell my titanium spoon, I really dislike how it tastes, how it feels in my mouth and how it handles heat. Luckily I own several old-school Lexan ones. When they are all broken or lost in thirty years, I’ll give the bamboo another serious look.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Cameron
    I am sure I read something about that very recently, but I can’t find it. No matter.
    Cheers

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I don’t eat from pouches and my favourite spoon is also a bamboo spoon. Here you can get them at many stores, like ÂĄ100 (“dollar”) stores. Light, feels good, lasts long enough, cheaper than the UL titanium etc options.

I can imagine people wanting a long handled one, and I admire the MYOG version posted above. I don’t remember seeing them here, but I have also never looked for them.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

SAY IT AIN’T SO!

I love my long handled REI spoon. And now it’s no longer made?  Well, sure, that’s because it works so well so why keep selling it?

I think (hope) I have an extra one. I’ll have to dig thru my gear box.

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

GSI makes a pouch spoon which is 9″ long and weighs .6 oz.

they also make another spoon called the essential spoon. 9.9″ long and weighs 1 oz,

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Spoons 9″ long?
    Two of those would make a centre pole for a tarp.

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools