Topic

The Holy Grail of Long Handled Spoons?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Holy Grail of Long Handled Spoons?

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Also, I suspect the economics of designing, prototyping, testing, manufacturing, marketing and retailing a “holy grail folding spoon” for gram-retentive UL backpackers (numbering in the low three digits?) is rather…uh…grim.

I bet the folding mechanism in a spoon adds at least a tenth of a gram.  Just one more reason why folding spoons are so incredibly wrong, I suppose.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Discovering you have no way to eat on night 1 of a 5 night trip sucks.
    Explaining to one’s wife that one has forgotten the spoons is even worse.
    We made do.

Cheers

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I hear you, but I am not the shiniest car on the lot. I need to create systems that prevent me from screwing up by losing or leaving home key components.  Everything I need to eat packs away in a 130mm Toaks 900 ml pot. That includes the fuel canister, stove, spoon, knife, lighter, hot lips and kitchen towel.  A long spoon would have to go somewhere else.  Or be forgotten.  Discovering you have no way to eat on night 1 of a 5 night trip sucks.

IOW…a good folding spoon allows me to trick myself into not being (quite so) stupid.

You remind me of me :)

Anyway, long spoons are a bit of a hassle to pack. Sure is nice to have all my cook gear together.

Back in the early 1970’s I had one of those Boy Scout-type clip together utensil kits. I ditched the knife and fork, and cut the Spoon down to 6”. It fit in my Sigg pot with the trusty Svea 123. I used it right up until the early 2000’s when I decided I wanted a longer spoon. The thing about it is the “business end” is huge, and what I prefer. It’s even larger than the GSI/REI spoon. Put that business end on a folding Ti chassis and the Holy Grail will be anointed!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Explaining to one’s wife that one has forgotten the spoons is even worse.
    We made do.

Ha!  I made do as well…but did not have to explain it to my wife :)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Ha hey… Forgetting something is something we all have done…and not only with spoons. My wife thought I had it, I thought she had it. We got wet when we were a day out setting up camp and we never forgot the tent again. Metal long handled spoons are necessary iff you do any sort of cooking. 12G/.4oz https://seatosummitusa.com/products/alpha-light-utensil-long-spoon

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Metal long handled spoons are necessary iff you do any sort of cooking.

We haven’t carried metal spoons for maybe 30 years.

Cheers

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I forgot the spoons on one trip here in the WA Cascades. So, we found some flat stones. Boiled them in water to clean them, and then used them as makeshift spoons. We got by (it was just an over night). Since then, I pay a bit more attention to insure that we have the spoons!  :-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Ha!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Ha, ha…does it flip fried eggs in bacon grease?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

does it flip fried eggs in bacon grease
    Probably not.
    The on-board diet analyser will probably decide that the combination is bad for your over-weight health.
    They can do that you know …

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Just to confirm…the new GSI Pouch spoons really are the reincarnation of the REI long handled spoons. Basically just have a small hold at the end now for a carabiner. Weight is .50 oz vs .57 oz of the REI spoon.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

I have found a Co. that makes exact copies of the Snow Peak Ti Folding Spoon. I have 3 qty avialable here:

https://backpackinglight.com/gear-swaps/folding-ti-spoon-snow-peak-copy-3-available/?alert=swap_updated

Glen L
    Spectator

@wyatt-carson

Locale: Southern Arizona

The Snow Peak folders are well worth it. I’ve had and used one for years and years. I use it every day when make our special lattes at home in a tall, narrow pot. Got a few spoons to choose from, the only eating utensil that goes in my pack.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

You need a Boy Scout pocket knife with fork and spoon.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Brad, can you share a link to the company please?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Assuming Brad shares the info, if anyone is interested in a group buy, I’m in :)

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Hey guys, here’s a link to the website. You’ll have to create an account. Shipping is $24.00 whether you buy one or four (as I did). The implements are on sale right now, which is a nice bonus. If you could get more than 6 people in on it, the savings would really start to add up. Expect 4+ weeks turnaround.

https://en.pinkoi.com/product/LkcUQD24

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thank you!

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

You’re welcome Matthew.

Would add, the BestTi spoon is 5 g’s lighter than the Snow Peak spoon.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Same comany as the ti spoon

https://en.pinkoi.com/product/WVYCbjZe

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Same comany as the ti spoon

https://en.pinkoi.com/product/WVYCbjZe

Indeed. But it’s not a long handle. Also, I’ve found that roundish handled flatware is impractical – it wants to roll in the hand when in use.  I’m always amazed that some standard flatware sold for day to day uses has small roundish handles. It’s just bad industrial design.

OTOH, the chopsticks look like something I’d like to try!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Long and 3 times lighter than titanium

Firm grip won’t let it roll.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Long and 3 times lighter than titanium

Firm grip won’t let it roll.

There’s a bridge in Brooklyn for sale… :)

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools