Topic

The Holy Grail of Long Handled Spoons?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Holy Grail of Long Handled Spoons?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

My issue with most long handled spoons, including many recommended on this thread, is that the business end is too small… when it’s time to eat I like a shovel!

I’ve got a couple of the lexan REI spoons and it’s excellent in almost all respects.

However, for years I’ve used a polycarbonate “portion control spoon” from Carslisle Foodservice Products. With a .5 oz business end, 9” handle, and fantastic ergonomics, I believe it to be close to the Holy Grail. Probably better than the REI spoon.

https://www.carlislefsp.com/food-bars-and-accessories/polycarbonate-spoons/446002

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

According to Carlisle restaurant supplies, their polycarbonate spoon withstands heat up to 270F. Perhaps some type of oil could be used in a pot, heat to 300-320F (check with kitchen therm.), put the Lexan (GSI or similar) handle into the pot to heat it up, remove and gradually stretch the handle.

I have a bent Easton stake without the head. It is screaming at me to add a spoon bowl. Should be able to cobble something together with the Dremel. A rainy day idea….

Cheers
    Bill in Roswell, GA

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

I have a bent Easton stake without the head. It is screaming at me to add a spoon bowl. Should be able to cobble something together with the Dremel. A rainy day idea….

Ergonomics mean something… round dinnerware handles “turn” in the hand… from my experience, the best, most ergonomically agreeable handle shape is flat, which doesn’t allow the utensil to turn in use. From my perspectives , the Easton stake idea takes a bad idea to its “worst” level… unless gram counting is the only objective. For me, it’s not. Tools need to function first and foremost… ymmv

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

How about just splicing the handle off a second spoon onto the handle of the first spoon? One should be able to get a fairly smooth join. Need an adhesive able to bond to Lexan of course.
    Such glues exist all right – see for example https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLY-GLUE-CANOPYS-LEXAN-NYLON-PT22/231919113343?hash=item35ff74d47f:g:oq8AAOSwmP9cpOOh
    Or just some methylene chloride if you have a chem-lab handy.

Followed by a delicate bit of filing and polishing.

Cheers

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

How about just splicing the handle off a second spoon onto the handle of the first spoon? One should be able to get a fairly smooth join. Need an adhesive able to bond to Lexan of course.
    Such glues exist all right – see for example https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLY-GLUE-CANOPYS-LEXAN-NYLON-PT22/231919113343?hash=item35ff74d47f:g:oq8AAOSwmP9cpOOh
    Or just some methylene chloride if you have a chem-lab handy.

Followed by a delicate bit of filing and polishing.

Cheers

Or just buy the Carlisle spoon for $1.61 USD…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Or just buy the Carlisle spoon for $1.61 USD…”

For some folks, it’s just much more satisfying to make something yourself rather than just buying something, even if making something costs more. Doesn’t have to make sense if it makes someone feel good.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Two problems with the Carlisle spoon:
    * Shipping to Australia would cost a LOT more than the spoon.
    * the handle is only 9″ long. I want 11-12″ length to get to the bottom of our MYO yoghurt bottles without getting covered in yoghurt.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

years ago found a set of 3 plastic salad mixing spoons at walmart/kmart. The longest one was the perfect length for getting to the bottom corners of Mountain House meal bags. I altered the shovel end by heating in a pot of boiling water till I could bend it to the curve that suited my liking. They looked like this:

Image result for 3 spoon salad  set

Christopher V
    BPL Member

@thevonz

I just use a long handled plastic spoon they give out for free at Freddy’s Steakburgers & Custard.  Superlight and they work great!

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

My local co-op grocery sells bamboo spoon/fork/knife/chopstick sets, in a little carry pouch. I bought them to carry along for take-out meals, so as not to use throw away plastic utensils.  But I liked the spoon so much, I now carry it backpacking. But it’s not long handled so I guess that won’t work if you eat out of bags. But they are light, clean up well, and pleasant to use. Never had a mold issue, but I wash it.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m not a spork fan but somehow I find this one noteworthy.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Um.
    Why does ‘Trident’ come to mind?
    Is it the work of the devil?
    :)    :)    :)

Cheers

TOU-47
    BPL Member

@tou-47

Locale: "Top-of-Utah"

To each, their own but as noted earlier, I really like these too.

https://www.toaksoutdoor.com/products/slv-11

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

To each, their own but as noted earlier, I really like these too.

https://www.toaksoutdoor.com/products/slv-11

Indeed, as some of us have noted earlier, the Toaks has an exceedingly small business end.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

As I probably also noted earlier, this TOAKS ripoff has a good sized business end:
    It doesn’t seem to be on the .com version of amazon anymore

https://www.amazon.ae/Gear-Lab-Store-Ultralight-Titanium/dp/B071KCW2QY

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Yeah, but have you checked the price????
    Unreal! Total fashionista rip-off.

Cheers

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

So this deep-in-the-weeds thread got me on a search…

I’d like to keep all my eating/cooking gear non-plastic, but most aluminum and Ti spoons have the fatal-fault of a too small business end, including the Toaks refrenced a couple posts up. No thanks. So, I went on a search and found this gem:

Read the reviews… I ordered one. Will report back.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

OK, it’s been a couple of years. What is your favorite UL backpacking spoon now? What do you take on a trip most often?

My current spork is the TOAKS TITANIUM LONG HANDLE SPORK WITH POLISHED BOWL. It works great with polished bowl. I do wish it would break down to fit in my kit, but you know…..

I still have the old REI long Lexan spoon, but guess who cut off the end so it would it in my Evernew .9 L short pot? Oh well. Some one will bring it back. Maybe DROP?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I went on a wander through Amazon, and found at least 4 or 5 brands of long Ti spoons. Different brands.
    But some of them had the same photos as others …

Cheers

TOU-47
    BPL Member

@tou-47

Locale: "Top-of-Utah"

As cheap as $7.50 each delivered (if you buy 4) & 4g lighter than a Toaks…I think I might give these a try with my kids.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

IMO,  the spoon must be long, but it must also fold in order to fit in the pot. I do not personally find my (apparently now discontinued) Optimus folding long spoon’s bowl to be too small.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

IMO, the spoon must be long, but it must also fold in order to fit in the pot.

Why “must” it fit in the pot?

Forever, my long spoons have ridden in the food bag.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Forever, my long spoons have ridden in the food bag.

I used to do that…then discovered on day 1 of a 5 day Yosemite trip that I had forgotten it.  Much harder to forget the entire kitchen.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

<p style=”padding-left: 40px;”>I keep looking at titanium spoons, but my MSR folding spoon only weighs 11 g, and the last long handled titanium spoon I looked at weighed 16g. Not worth the boasting rights.</p>

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

I keep looking at titanium spoons, but my MSR folding spoon only weighs 11 g, and the last long handled titanium spoon I looked at weighed 16g. Not worth the boasting rights.

“Boasting rights”… you think that is what this is about?

A lot of us don’t especially like eating off plastic, and I’ve been consciously moving away from it with my eating gear. Ditched my plastic MSR bowl in favor of Ti for that very reason.

My wife uses the MSR spoon. Again, for me, the business end of the spoon is entirely too small.

Within reason, as long as a spoon is sub 1oz, I really don’t care what it weigh’s… this is one of those tools where function is first and foremost.

Like all things this is a HYOY sort of topic…

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools