Topic

The Holy Grail of Long Handled Spoons?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Holy Grail of Long Handled Spoons?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I use the boil-in-bags from PackitGourmet.

https://www.packitgourmet.com/CookIn-Bags.html

Unfortunately, they are tall and narrow rather than short and wide.  The large ones are 11″ tall.  So 9″ maybe not be long enough…

Mike Farrell
    Spectator

@m-farrell

Locale: C.A

I like three different spoons. A Toaks long handled Ti spoon for FBC, A Snow Peak Ti spoon and my favorite spoon I carved from a Plumb hammer handle from the 1930’s. “There’s nothing like a nice piece of Hickory” Bonus points for identifying the quote. The Toaks is great for the freezer bags. The angle of the spoon works for reaching into a deep pot or bag. The Hickory spoon is lighter and better feeling for everything else. I have a nice chunk of Black Plum from the tree out back and I am working on a long handled spoon form it.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

What about the angle of the bamboo spoons? I’ve never been fond of flat spoons.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The bamboo spoons are a bit flat – both in the handle angle and I’d prefer a slightly deeper bowl. That’s easy when forming metal or plastic.

The ones I’ve gotten from BambooMN are much thicker than needed so I sand them down a bit for weight savings and to improve the angle and bowl volume.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

“There’s nothing like a nice piece of Hickory”

Clint (Pale Rider)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Bonus points for the pale rider quote.

The best spoon shape, for me, is the MRE spoon.  Unfortunately it isn’t as durable as a Lexan spoon but I typically get a hiking season out of one.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Take a look at the oval bamboo spoon in the photo. It’s 12″ long

some specs

https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Cookware/Cookware+Utensils/Bamboo+Spoon+Set/1674

Set of three:
    12” oval spoon.
    10” round spoon.
    12” round spoon.
    Made of sustainable, renewable bamboo.
    Won’t conduct heat or absorb moisture.
    Dishwasher-safe.

edit to Add: take a look at some of the wooden “curry” spoons:

https://www.google.com/search?q=curry+spoon&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiRnd_-pLfUAhXqy4MKHTEfCWYQ_AUIBygC&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=_

Mike Farrell
    Spectator

@m-farrell

Locale: C.A

Five Star you are worthy of your name, and get five more stars

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

I bought this…it breaks down small which is great in my cookset

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

How happy was I when I discovered that my recently acquired freeze dried Indian food comes with a free spoon?

::pinch me ::

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Try to beat these specs:

• 3.5″ folded
    • 7″ unfolded
    • 11 grams
    • $1.99

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Try to beat these specs:
    How about
    7.6″ long
    4.6 g
    Free from take-away shop

Cheers

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

New requirement: must fit in cook pot

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Army ration pack spoons are dirt coloured, light and strong but dirt coloured.

I drill or melt in mine and put some Glo-wire through in a loop. Removes the weight saving of the UL spoon but I don’t loose it, they are short tho but army FD packs are not tall

10 grams with the string

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

New requirement: must fit in cook pot
    Changing the rules halfway through the race? Is that legal? :)

Anyhow, all our cutlery goes in a cutlery bag. The pot is quite full of other stuff.

Cheers

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I don’t see what the issue is with titanium. I don’t taste my titanium spoon, but don’t like putting wood in my mouth.

I like this one I got, the bowl isn’t bent forward like some others, and it’s actually sized like a normal spoon instead of the tiny teaspoons on some. Flat enough to put comfortably into the mouth, just don’t try and eat soup with it (why would anyone be eating 200 calorie soup while backpacking anyway?) Also slightly longer than the typical 8.5″ I don’t eat out of pouches, but it’s still nice to have some decent handle to hold onto and stir with.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071KCW2QY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I also don’t have a problem with Ti spoons. I often use them as a screw driver, not something you can do with Lexan. I went through several sets of lexan, burnt/melted the end of one, broke several Light My Fire sporks…went back to the BPL spoon and never looked back. Unless you are really looking to shed the 14gm, they are highly durable(can pass them on to the next generation of hikers,) don’t scratch easily, use no plastics, and do a bit of multi-use (screwdriver, egg flipper/fried foods, kitty-hole digger, etc. (I won’t say they are good for a tent stake, though. NEVER try to cook/eat in a rainstorm with your only utensil holding up the tent and keeping you dry!)

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

For those who love their spoons in Lexan. Why not just get a regular Lexan spoon, put the handle in tension, heat it up and stretch the handle to whatever length you want. And while you are at it you can adjust the angle of the bowl to match your taste.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Has anyone actually tried stretching the Lexan handle of a spoon using heat? I have not, and my gut feeling is that it may not be that simple – but I could be wrong!

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

This has become my favorite spoon: Keith titanium folding spoon. Don’t like sporks at all, do like to put my spoon in my cookpot (or coffee cup, if that’s outside the cookpot), and this fits the bill well. Also a good sized spoon bit, not some dinky thing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have been using bamboo spoons and cutlery for years now.  Imo/e great stuff.

Bamboo poles also makes decent, fairly lightweight non adjustable hiking poles with some minor tweaking.

I’m semi convinced that one could make a super light, but super strong and durable hiking pole out of a combination of using thinner/lighter/smaller bamboo as a core, high quality epoxy doped with carbonized highly crystalline nanocellulose, and some carbonized high crystalline cellulose content woven fabric (such as flax, hemp, jute, ramie).  For a bit of a weight penalty, you could make it near indestructible and super vibration dampening by spraying the core of the bamboo with expanding foam.  I did this with some carbon fiber tubes as a backpack frame, and it made them and the frame much stiffer, tougher, and vibrationally dampening (these were Easton tent pole carbon fiber tubes, so were a little more flexible than usual or that I liked/needed for the purpose they were being used for).

If I had the time and energy, I would make such a prototype, but my focus is elsewhere and will be for awhile.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I’m not sure I understand the obsession with folding spoons.  The Walmart lexan(?) spoon was less than a dollar and around 11 g.  Sadly, I can’t find this any more.  The GSI lexan spoon at REI is around a dollar and weighs 11 g.  I prefer to hang my spoons off my pack so that they can dry during the day and are easily accessible.  Same with my toothbrush.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I use the long-handled aluminum Sea to Summit spoon. I also have a ti spoon but it weighs almost twice as much. Like David, I hang mine on the outside of my pack (I tied on a mitten clip) so it doesn’t get lost. The spoon is too long/tall to fit in my cook kit, but even if it did I’ll do cold lunches so like to get at the spoon easily without having to dig anything out of the pack.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

Long handle sundae spoon is my go-to…only 2g:

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“I’m not sure I understand the obsession with folding spoons.”

It’s not an obsession, it’s a preference, like your preference for cheap, lexan spoons (or is that an obsession?).

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools