Topic

Bob Open 2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Open 2017

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

This is the correct spot for the finish right? I’m just second guessing it because on Dave’s blog is says the Lake Inez campground north of Seeley Lake, which I guess this is, but I would have written north of Lake Inez, so I wanted to make sure there isn’t another one.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Does Derek need snowshoes? If so, drive up to Seattle from Portland before heading east and I can lend him a pair.

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

Chase, if he makes it that far , sure not leaving him on side if road-I’ll let you know more once in area, leaving south bend ind late tue night – dan

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

The back of my truck is enclosed——–

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

Dan, that’s where we’re planning to finish. Unless we end up here first:

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

Locale: La Sierra Gorda

Doug, thanks for the offer. I think Chase is hooking me up with a pair of snowshoes.

CARLOS C.
    BPL Member

@lamboy

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Just wanted to say good luck to all of you and be safe. Look forward to post Open write ups. I live vicariously through you guys on this event.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

looks like the S Fork is on a big time rise, little cooler weather on its way so may tame it a bit

also here’s my SPOT page

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0as2DTvqzo9xZiK2BesmoQgRflL8jLk1T

Matt L
    BPL Member

@mattl6722-2

I’m starting to wonder whether I’ll be packrafting or playing it safe and staying in my feet.

Are you guys camping at the start Friday night or staying in Choteau?

Kevin B
    BPL Member

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

Best of luck to all!!!   Thanks in advance for sharing spots, pictures, and the trip reports

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

May be tough to find a room for Memorial Day weekend in Choteau.  Thad and I are camping with our families as near to the start as we can (doubtful there will be any spots in the campground available).  That way we don’t need to leave a vehicle at the start.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I’m camping in a van at the start with my wife.

My InReach tracking map is here:
    https://share.garmin.com/DanDurston

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

Good luck to all and make good decisions! I’ll be hanging pretty close to home this weekend and tracking your progress. In a pinch, I could probably be at any trailhead in 3-4 hours if assistance is needed. Send me a PM if you would like my phone number for help with unplanned bail outs! (but then I guess it would be at least semi-planned, right?)
    Thanks in advance for your trip reports — look forward to reading them every year.

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

I will second Dan’s offer word for word except it might take more like 3 to 5 hours for me to respond.  Also I will be going for a walk on Sunday so my response time may be extended to Monday if you leave a message on Sunday.

Wish I were joining you guys this year.  Trip reports and photos will be devoured.  Good luck!

Tanner K
    BPL Member

@tannerk

Thanks for the tracking links. It might make me too jealous to watch very closely but I will probably check in on Monday.

Looks like a great weekend (or longer) to be out in the woods. Have fun, stay safe and respect that water everyone!

Matt L
    BPL Member

@mattl6722-2

Here is my mapshare page:

https://share.garmin.com/MattLoctite

I’ll stop by Choteau for dinner, then head to the start to camp with my wife (and dogs).

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

matt and dan d- do you guys have the garmin in reach — i have on,e trying to get it set up — fun –any chance you could give a few pointers, assist, tomorrow around dinner? or earlier – name the time –

Matt L
    BPL Member

@mattl6722-2

Yeah I can help with what I just learned!  I just switched from SPOT so I spent 5 hours today figuring out/confirming how to optimize all the preset messages, social media/contact posting, and battery use reduction.  I’d be happy to share what I learned but there may also be someone that’s been using it for a while.  I hope we’ll be rolling into Choteau around 4pm but I think dinner may be a safer bet.

Chase M
    BPL Member

@walkingfoot-2

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here is Derek and my inReach tracking/messaging link:

http://inr.ch/GDLNSKR

Still don’t have our shuttle situation completely locked down, but for what it’s worth, we’ll be at Lake Inez CG around 9am.

If anyone happens to pass through with a couple extra seats, please let us know by sending an inReach message.

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

sounds great ! see you there ! should be driving a blue gmc crew cab

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

Well, i’ve struggled to make this decision all week and still not set on it, but i’m pretty sure i’m not gonna make it this year. The snowpack and water levels are a bit more than im comfortable with and the time frame with that in mind pushes my timelimit to the max. I hope to see ya’ll next year if there is another one. I finally felt like i was ready for the miles this year too. Wish you guys luck and safe travels. I’ll be watching eagerly.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Scott- fully understand; there will almost certainly be another one, so no worries there :)

Mike

Chase M
    BPL Member

@walkingfoot-2

Dan M, I need to stop by REI in Missoula this morning to purchase a Delorme as I forgot mine at home. Call me at 503-475-7918. I’ll be at our linkup point at Inez Lake CG around noon.

Kyle P
    BPL Member

@pucko25

Locale: Missoula

Heading East from Missoula this afternoon transporting Tyler and crew .. with an emergency pick-up of Chase if need be (topper on the truck). Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Here’s my SPOT share link for those following along at home.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0HASYGCgRbfOacrLvHprDV48gLiCV0NW5

Chase M
    BPL Member

@walkingfoot-2

Derek and I have a new inReach link for the e-hikers to follow along. We can be messaged and tracked at:

http://inr.ch/32KTA6Z

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools