Topic

enLIGHTened equipment down quilt from $165

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals enLIGHTened equipment down quilt from $165

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I really wish I didn't snatch up the great deal I got on my bag (that I just got a month ago). What's the wait time for a bag Tim?

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

I spent Monday night under my quilt and am beyond excited and pleased with it. Top notch Tim!

-Pic of my custom 60" wide, 30% overstuffed, 20* revelation x..all opened up
    quilt

-Another Pic
    quilt 2

-Partial pic of it in action next to my BA Encampment in my Cuben Solong6. Sorry for the poor picture quality, but look at it loft.
    quilt in tent

Thanks Tim!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Wait is holding at 4weekz but I always say 4-6 just in case

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I'd say BUMP it back to 7 weeks for Paul.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

As puniishment for buying something else first? Isn't that punishment enough?

-Tim

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Tim, I got your quilt out for its first run last weekend.

Went to sleep one night and it was about 60*F. I opened up the footbox and patted all the down off the center baffles, creating a light insulation perfect for the weather. As the temps dropped into the 30's in the early morning, I closed up the footbox and patted the down back up over me for more warmth. When it was time to make breakfast under my tarp, I undid all the snaps and zipper to make a nice cozy blanket to wrap around me as I sat Indian-style and made breakfast.

I think this is going to be a super-versatile piece of gear, and I hope I get to use it year-round. I like it enough that I'm thinking it will replace my 30*F Montbell bag that is almost 5 ounces lighter. (for those of you who don't know, I have a 20*F quilt with 30% overfill, so for the rating, my Montbell isn't really "lighter.")

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Gear design is all about compromises. It is hard to get everything you want in a piece of gear in one design. Your experience is exactly what I had in mind when I made the choices and compromises I did. There will always be features you could choose to add or options you didn't go with but I feel that this design does more than any other and that versatility is worth some of the trade offs.

-Tim

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Just for clarification, when I said "5 ounces lighter" in my previous post, I'd like people to note that I edited my original post above to point out that my Montbell is a 30*F bag and my quilt is a 20*F with 30% overfill. This should actually highlight how light the quilt is for its rating regardless of all the features it offers.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

tim,
    would you be able to make a little tube of down that a user could simply plug in that hole when they seal up that footbox? perhaps integrate a stuff sack with some down in it to give it the ability to plug that hole and stay attached some people don't lose it?

i don't know if that makes any sense how i typed it but it did in my head. with that said, gnight…

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Josh, I'm not sure it's needed. The hole cinches down to the size of a pencil at most, and the lofty down and cinched material pretty much take care of it.

If you really wanted to plug it with something, you could use an extra sock, glove, hat, underwear, wad of toilet paper, etc… but IMHO, its not needed.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

If you wanted a plug I could do it but I'm with Travis. Anything will work if you really need to plug it.

-Tim

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i'm just a new home owner so i've been reading a lot about insulation and heat loss and the biggest thing that everyone says is to plug all air leaks… :D

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Josh,

If you want a plug email me and we can figure it out

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

heh. i'm good bro. my cold weather tq doesn't have a hole at the bottom. :D was just spitballing an idea.

william roberts

@blakeroberts2107

Locale: Southeast

Hey i just had a question. Can anyone tell me if a revelation X 30F 6'6" regular can fit into a size medium zpack?

Rob Jones
    Spectator

@robj

Locale: Washington, D.C.

I was about to pull the plug on a WM bag, not being sure a quilt is the thing for me. Being a stomach sleeper though, thought quilt might be the way to go, but not sure. After stumbling on these quilts today and the pictures… now I'm salivating and couldn't believe the price.

Tim you mentioned an 8D option? Would that make sense for use in a DuoMid or similar shelter or stick with the 20D? Are there going to be color options for the 8D?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

The 8d is very breathable which can translate to heat loss is wind is allowed to rob the trapped air. It can be used as a liner to the 20d with no fear of heat loss. I would only use 8 d shell if in a bivy or windless shelter. The duo mid might be a good option if you keep it sealed to the ground, but big you like to vent it off the ground a little just 8d lined may be the way to go.

I have it in charcoal and black right now.

TRISTAN STEWART

@t-stew

Hi, first post here although I am a member of a few other hiking forums. Really thinking about getting one of these quilts! Looking at the Revelation X, I am 5'9" ~170# and usually a belly sleeper but toss and turn. Never used a quilt before, or down for that matter. But upgrading my gear, trying to go to light and compact. I'm thinking the 6' Reg. It will also be mainly a summer bag for the northeast (WV, NY). Still trying to decide on a temp rating. Thinking a 40 with the 30% overstuff would suffice.

Is there any pictures of black and olive together? I'm thinking black outside with olive green inside.

Jacob Wallace

@jacobw

Hey Tim,

would it be feasible for you to do a double version of the revelation X for me and my other half? What might the cost be…?

Jacob

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Doubles are too big to make on our current 6×8 table. Eventually we will but not until we get a bigger space

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Just ordered mine this week. Tim is great to work with, and answered all my emails very quickly. I will post pic's when it arrives. Keep up the good work Tim, and thanks for all the info and help.

Jack

Patrick Baker
    BPL Member

@f1prb22

My order 6'6" Wide 40F with overfill (Green/Black) came in exactly at the spec weight of 20 ounces. Kudos to Enlightened Equipment.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Very glad you are happy. I try really hard to get the weight estimates right on. There are so many options we offer it would take a year before we could build each one to get an actual weight so I do the math and it is good to hear that it is coming out right on.

-Tim

Wong Terence CK
    Spectator

@shrew-2-2

Hey Rob D!

Thanks for sharing the photos! I'm wondering what color does your quilt actually is?
    It seems like in grey and a little bit of brown?
    thanks! T.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Really thinking more about a quilt. Per about post #10, a 12"X24" stuff sack? That's about four times the size of my WM 6"X12" (XXS) stuff sack for my Caribou bag. I'm trying to get my volume down enough to eventually get a ZPack pack. Real world, how much will a Revelation X, regular width, 6' length, 30 degree bag stuff down to? I'm a side sleeper at 165 lbs., 6' tall, the 52" width should work for me. Would really like to get the 20 degree quilt, but I need to think summer volume, reduced weight first, so the 30 degree quilt will have to be the one.
    Duane

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 179 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools