Topic

Are you “packing” while you are packing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Are you “packing” while you are packing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Tim Sullivan

@hrairoorah

Locale: Mountain State

I am wondering what the consensus is on carrying a firearm while backpacking? I am new to this and I was curious what other people do. The area I am in does have a black bear population, copperheads and rattlesnakes and I was considering taking a Bersa 380 with me, mainly for the noise but also just in case.
    West Virginia allows open carries of firearms. For concealed carry you need a permit.
    So how many of you guys are packing when you are packing?

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

I believe it is not common anywhere but Alaska.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I have a feeling this is gonna be fun

Mr Ide, can I borrow your chair?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

No, this gets ugly every time.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Please moderators, not again!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

This conversation always goes bad. Some do, some don't. Some will, some won't. If you want to, go ahead. Remember that we pack our fears with our gear.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

i'll stick my toe in. i am a hunter. so i personally don't have any ethical issue with firearms or using them in a prudent manner. however, for backpacking I can't see that they matter much. a can of bear spray is far more effective statistically in the rare event of a bear attack. It would also work on most any other animal including a human who didn't have their own firearm. My guess is that unless a person has sophisticated military style training that most guns outside of a shotgun or something would be useless to them in a high stress situation. the can of bear spray is much easier. point, wait (that is the key) spray a large area hoping the wind, etc…doesn't hurt you.

if you go the bear spray route test it. i can't imagine having a grizzly close enough to actually use the bear spray, but it does offer some source of protection even if it is just a mental security blanket. as with anything wise choices rule the day.

as far as snakes go i can't see any reason you would need a firearm. we walked up on a decent size copperhead this past weekend. a few sticks and a gentle nudge from a trekking pole and he was on his way. he was the exception to the rule. most feel you coming and move on.

Tim Sullivan

@hrairoorah

Locale: Mountain State

I did not mean to stir anything up. MODS please remove this before it heats up.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Are you 'packing' while you're packing
    Asked the OP with a grin
    The responses were quite tepid
    Until Beartooth ambled in

So far no flurry, and no fury
    of responses in the thread
    Just a bit of trepidation
    From the members here instead

So I'll add a thought or two
    since the OP wants to know
    'bout if I'm 'packing' when I'm packing
    And does that 'packing' make me slow

Well I certainly pack my 'package'
    And at times it even 'shoots'
    It's a gun, says Full Metal Jacket
    Though I don't stick it in my boots

I can draw it pretty quickly
    But it takes a while to load
    I carry it 'open' in the forest
    But conceal it on the road

I don't aim it at no snakes or bears
    or most people, for that matter
    The few times that I've tried it
    All the women quickly scatter

So though I pack my package
    And, I'm sure, I'm not alone
    I've never had a cause to use it
    Sometimes I wish I could leave it home

Hope that helps!

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Doug, you crack me up. I just pmed Roger to let him know Tim was asking politely for this thread to be removed, and then you post that gem. Did you just whip that out, sorry up, now, or have you been working on it for just such an occasion as this?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

A poet, and he didn't know it. Not even going to work in a crack about Longfellow.

Tim, this is a great source for info, and great people. However, all the standard buttons of political correctness work overtime here, so you just have to be careful not to push one. And besides, a Bersa weighs too much.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I suspect Douglas packs a Magnum. LOL

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

I heard he was known as Douglas 'Derringer' Ide.

Apparently that was a pretty cold trip though.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Is that package big or small?
    Is it even there at all?
    Is it dormant, or actually used?
    Handled gently, or quite abused?
    Is it under lock and key?
    Is it always right with me?
    Powerful ammo, or only blanks?
    Do you really want to know

NO THANKS!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

New people to backpacking frequently ask this question. I think it takes a few trips outdoors to see that what you are scared of and what you should be scared of are quite different things. I'd say the number one most dangerous thing you should be worried about is water. Moving water, falling water, sweated out water, hydration water, dirty water, hygiene, ice, and snow.

kevin smith

@divr6347

for me the answer is

YES AND YES but im kinda biased as im an avid shooting sports person and hunter

i have not ever had an issue with this and no one ever knows i have a firearm unless i tell them as i am lucky enough to have a carry permit for my state

i think of it this way

if you are comfortable carrying while backpacking then go for it just make sure you use common sense with the way you handle the firearm as you may be camping with a group and some of them may not be as thrilled about the fact that they are hiking with someone they don t really know who is packing a firearm some people are just not as comfortable with firearms as others hence the reason i do not let anyone know i have mine with me if they happen to ask however i will be honest and tell them that i do have a firearm and am perfectly legal in doing so and that i have a permit to carry concealed and it usually becomes a non issue

i really think that as long as you handle your firearm properly and keep the issue low key you will have no issues with packing while packing

this is only my opinion and im sure some will disagree and some will approve but for me it comes down to what im comfortable with and i decide before every trip what will be the apropriate method of carry for each perticular trip

kevin

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

What was I scared of?

pants

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Officer stops car with tail light out.

Driver hands over officer his concealed weapons permit and informs cop that he is carrying firearm.

Cop says "OK, just keep your hands on steering wheel please"

Cop asks where firearm is.

Driver indicates he is carrying on his waist.

Cop asks if there are any other firearms in vehicle.

Driver says there is also a firearm strapped to his ankle.

Cop asks "Any more?"

Driver indicates there is a sidearm in the glove compartment.

Cop: "Any more?"

Driver: "There is also an AR-15 in the trunk"

Driver: "A semi-auto shotgun behind the seat"

Driver: "hmm, I guess that's it"

Cop: "If you don't mind my asking, what are you scared of?"

Driver: "ABSOLUTELY Nothing"

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"I did not mean to stir anything up. MODS please remove this before it heats up."

Nah, the mods here are good about letting things take care of themselves, without pushing the "good vibe only" thing.
    Your question is legitimate, it's just that many here have seen this go south before. Does not mean it can not be brought up again, in my opinion.

kevin smith

@divr6347

i have been stopped while driving and carrying a firearm

i have had nothing but good experiences with the local law enforcement

gave them my permit and they just asked where i was carrying it replied in my waistband on my right hip

they said ok wait here while we run your info and firearm serial # i never excited the car and the officer handed my permit back and said your good to go thank you for telling me about your firarm

that was it no big deal and no one got crazy over it

iguess it depends on who stops you but i haven t run into any hard core anti gun officers yet lol

kevin

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Three way shootouts are what I worry about. One on one, I've trained for that. But three ways? Sheesh. How could I ever train enough? Can I get my gun out of the pack fast enough? Who's going to shoot at who first? I have discovered some secrets: it's part a matter of reflexes, part psychology. You have to look your enemy in the eye- the shootout is often won or lost before it's even started. The skilled user of a revolver can actually shoot it faster than a semi-auto.

Three way shootouts are what I worry about.

How can you prepare for this?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Craig, that's the difference between still being a young pup and being an old dog. How do you prepare? Why, you read the script, that's how. Never fails……

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

You tellin' me there's a way to know who's gonna shoot first?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"You tellin' me there's a way to know who's gonna shoot first?"

Kinda spoils the fun, don't it. But at least you stay alive…….

Dave T

@davet

I agree that the things that are likely to kill you in the wilderness are not likely things helped by carrying a gun. Hypothermia, dehydration, injuries, lack of itinerary and exit plans, heat stress, snow and ice, water crossings, driving to the trailhead. It's all risk awareness and mitigation.

And please don't shoot snakes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools