Topic

Wind screen for canister stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wind screen for canister stoves

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Oneil
    Spectator

@oneil

Locale: Sierra Foothills

Can it be done safely? Always thought it was verboten for obvious explosive reasons. Something like a cone would be foolish but what about a partial screen, facing the wind?

I’m pathetically addicted to the con cOnvenience of canister stoves and the jet boil in particular for extreme efficiency, but would like to explore using some of my other pots over gas, I just can’t stand the inefficient wind flicker of my Snow Peak or even the Pocket Rocket without a wind screen.

My son has the dual-fuel MSR that can run on a canister in remote mode, that would open up some options for sure. But I like the simplicity and weight of the trad canister-top stove.

Andrew I
    BPL Member

@akivisuals

Check out Flat Cat Gear Ocelot Windscreens.  I was thinking of trying out the version they make for the BRS 3000T.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

+1 for Flat Cat Gear.  I haven’t tried the Ocelot, but I have a Snow Leopard remote canister windscreen, and he now has a Bobcat mod that allows remote canister usage.  Of course even MSR makes a windscreen for their remote canister or white gas stoves – long considered essential for snow melting scenarios, but good for wind mitigation as well.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Just came back from a 7 day trip using MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe, EVERNEW 750ml pot, Ocelot Wind Screen, Felt Hat and using 1+ (111g and 23g)  4 oz SNOW PEAK GIGAPOWER FUEL. 57 cups boiled with 134 g of gas that gave me 2.34 g’s/boil. This was under the 2 cup boil that Jon calculates using 5-7 grams of fuel with a slow burn rate.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Rocks. Trees. Backpacks or seat pads.

Dual or triple use items are the secret to lightening your load.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

You’re better off with a remote fueled system such as the one I put together using the very efficient AceCamp 4708 Volcano Lightweight Gas Stove . Use a do-it-yourself aluminum full circle windscreen like the one Roger uses. Show it to her Roger.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Everything has risks, but an upright canister stove with a windscreen that doesn’t trap heat around the canister, plus periodic temperature checks (is the canister too hot to touch?), and not using it in a shelter, have worked for many people on BPL, despite the warnings.

A couple of examples here, but there are others:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/td-sidewinder-as-canister-stove-upper-windshield/

Disclaimers apply. Don’t be stupid.

— Rex

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

The Ocelot looks like a good invention, but the Pocket Rocket 2 version won’t accommodate a pot larger than the radius of the pot supports.

Here’s mine. There’s more about it in my posts on the Covid Projects thread. The parts are:

1. The main shield, held on to the pot supports by its springiness and hooks made from paperclips. What you see in the picture is a a prototype made from aluminum valley flashing stock. When I cut the final from a piece of titanium I got from Ali Express, I’ll make the skirt below the pot supports 5mm less and make the shield 10mm shorter so it wraps around less.

2. A reflector below the burner cut from an aluminum foil pie plate.

3. A collar for the jet perforated with two rows of 19/64 inch holes. Made from titanium left over from an earlier project.

The canister doesn’t get hot, at least for a 4-minute noodle boil. I check by pressing a finger on the canister every half minute.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I have for years used a Trail Designs Vari vent cut to fit around my pot and with a large area cut out on one side to get to the valve and to vent head.  As Rex says, just check the canister from time to time, if you can’t touch it, it is too hot so open the screen a bit.  If it is really windy it will not be an issue.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I’ve used the titanium outer section of a caldera cone stove for a wind screen for a Pocket Rocket for years. I leave it a bit open on the lee side. That way I can touch the canister periodically to test for heat. I’m cooking solo and so only need to do a single boil; there’s never been an issue. The added benefit is that I could use the cone as a a wood chip stove if needed.

Extremely light and rugged. And effective! A windscreen adds a lot of efficiency and reduces boil time a lot.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/titanium-hx-windscreen-for-canister-stoves/

Picture and video heavy in the above thread :-)

Ultralight titanium windscreens. No CO produced in use.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

@Ken – I am glad to hear that it worked out for you.  Thanks for the feedback.  Let me know if you would like to see any improvements as I am getting ready to manufacture another round of parts.  Jon

Max L.
    BPL Member

@mlehman

I made this out of a couple crowler cans (32 oz beer cans). I added a second end piece, but don’t have a picture. The end pieces pop out and it rolls up relatively small. I wanted something I could use with any of my pans. The corners peak out from under my smaller pan. I was also worried about the can heating up so wanted something protecting it from the heat that also blocked wind from the flames.

Crowler-based windscreen

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

@mlehman

Awesome, nice design!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

@mlehmanThe end pieces pop out and it rolls up relatively small. I wanted something I could use with any of my pans.

Being able to use it with a variety of pots/pans is what most people will like. I like it.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

@Jon.…I believe what you have works well. For me the storage of the triangular part I bagged to protect the tabs and the bottom of the bag…. a weight gain of 3g’s.

Did one bake with the system in the “wilds” to see how it would perform…the results.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Hey @mlehman, what’s the total weight of your windscreen? I’m liking it more and more each day :-) Will try my hand at cutting up some 32oz cans. Thanks for the great idea :-)

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

@mlehman, I’d love to see more detail on the corners and how the pieces are connected.

Max L.
    BPL Member

@mlehman

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

In regards to the Ocelot Pocket Rocket 2 wind screen.. I see the pics on the site. But how does it store? Just wondering if it can kind of compact to fit inside a 600ml cup..

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

All fit into stuff bag: Stuff Bag with Ocelot Burner Plate at the bottom, Ocelot Wind Screen wraps inside 750ml pot on top of Ocelot Burner Plate, Baking Pot, 2cups, Felt Hat in top cup,  KOVEA Baking Plate on top of cups, 750ml Pot Lid.

MSR POCKET ROCKET DELUXE in a stuff bag in the Food Bag.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

@dirtbag for 600 ml mugs, the burner plate ( triangle thingy) would have to be stored outside of the mug.  Jon

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thank you. And I assume then that a small canister will not also fit in the 600 ml mug? Right now I can get a small canister, my pocket rocket 2, a mini bic lighter all in there..

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

The Ocelot windscreen itself should fit in there as well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools