Topic

Titanium HX Windscreen for Canister stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Titanium HX Windscreen for Canister stoves

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

These will be available next week paired with Toaks Light 650 pots.

More info later today and tomorrow.

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTF1c7SbZE0</span&gt;

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

YouTube video

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Windscreen weighs 30 grams and is expected to increase fuel efficiency by 30+ percent.

It can also be used with Toaks Light 550 and the Toaks 750 with handles and also other pots with the same diameter.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

One way to use it:

YouTube video

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The three stoves that I used for testing the windscreen/skirt/HX were the 25g BRS 3000 Titanium Ultralight, the Fire-Maple FMS-116T and the Titanium OLICAMP Ion Micro.

The vertical HX fins touch 14 inches of the pot wall while heating for efficient heat transfer.

When the burning gasses exit from under the pot, they are forced against the windscreen and fins causing turbulence which helps to attain complete combustion.

Any questions? Any interest in this type of canister stove windscreen/skirt?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Any suggestions on how I can improve it?

YouTube video

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So what’s the deal?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

So what’s the deal?

You purchase the pot and windscreen/skirt/heat exchanger, I give you a free Starlyte Burner for if and when you get an urge to do alcohol as a fuel. A no-spill burner ;)

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-burner.php

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Got a PM and was asked:

quote:
    (I noticed the windscreen is a bit taller than the toaks pot and pokes out a bit when stored inside. Is there any reason why the windscreen couldn’t be made a bit shorter to fit completely inside the pot allowing the toaks lid to fit on top?)

In response I made a shorter model and this is what it looks like:

YouTube video

Is anyone interested in either one? Any ideas how to improve on it?

Eng-Shien Wu
    BPL Member

@engshien

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I’m interested, but is it possible to modify the shorter model so that the pot handles can be still be used (two notches in the windscreen for the handles)? I’m willing to sacrifice some efficiency for ergonomics.

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

This is looking great, Dan!  I am interested.

I’m also interested in a version like the previous poster describes.  I suppose it would need one more fin to hold the windscreen away from the pot, since the handles would not be tucked under the windscreen to perform that function.  On the other hand, the handles would cool more quickly.  This would probably be a convenience that would offset the slight weight penalty.

I am also liking the ‘turnkey” that you are using to adjust the fuel consumption.  That would be very useful for preventing burned fingers, and I would want to bundle it with my order.  I have no suggestions for improvement.  But I would be interested in an efficiency test between short and tall versions.  Thank-you!

Eng-Shien Wu
    BPL Member

@engshien

Hmm.. I suspect that the windscreen would need to be flush against the pot around the handles to not heat up the handles. With the handles, I’m hoping to avoid needing a turnkey by lifting the pot with windscreen attached to adjust/turn off the stove.

Can you still store the windscreen and fuel canister in the 650ml pot? BRS-3000 stove?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Good ideas! Thank you.

Notches worked great. I’m sure handles will remain cool enough to pick up the pot once the water boils. The notches snug up to handle base and keep it tight against pot to compensate for loss of tension that the handles applied when under the windscreen, no extra fin needed.

I’m out of fuel. I will get more tomorrow and do some tests to see how the notched version works out.

A turnkey will be included in the bundle deal.

A small canister of fuel will not fit inside the pot with the windscreen…sorry.

I appreciate the great/successful suggestions

(cool handles…..no need for a pot lifter like the one Roger uses)

Eng-Shien Wu
    BPL Member

@engshien

Looks nice! Look forward to it being available.

Given that the canister can’t fit, maybe include a cup that fits inside with the windscreen that can also hold the stove and a mini-bic. I’ve used a mini soda can (7.5oz and 8oz) wrapped in thin insulation, but the lip gets too hot with coffee. I’ve also used a cut down water bottle wrapped in thin insulation but the capacity was too little for a Starbucks Via instant coffee packet unless you like it espresso strength.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I like the ribs as a centering device. If a section of each rib could be angled, it could help stir up the boundary layer (of already cooled exhaust) nearest the pot.

Better yet, how about a simple cylindrical windscreen (easier to make and store) but two bands around the pot (at the bottom and midpoint) with dual-purpose vortex generators / stand offs? I’m not solving it with paper origami in a way that only needs bends, but could you spot weld a dozen SS tabs (at a 30-ish degree angle) to a SS band about 1 cm wide?  Imagine cutting a strip out of the skin of this airplane wing just under the VGs and then wrapping that around the pot.

(Don’t actually cut up other people’s airplanes – it pisses them off.)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Or, if you cut tabs at an angle into the windscreen itself and bent them inward – that accomplish both the stand-off and VG functions but leave openings that would dilute the hot gases with cool air.  That’s maybe fine near the top/handles since most HX has been accomplished but at the bottom a simple band around those holes would seal them up.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

David, thanks for your imput….awesome. While conducting some tests today I’m amazed at the turbulence that is going on under and between the short distance between the walls of the windscreen and outer pot wall. The burner head of the BRS is designed to start the swirling turbulence right off the bat. Turbulence abounds within the walls of the windscreen. I have been getting boil times of under 3:00 with air temps at 60 and also beginning water temps. If we add your ideas to the equation we could possibly see boil times of 2:30 or less. Now that’s a fast 2 cups of coffee :-)

Adding the V notches so that the handles are exposed during heating is an award winning suggestion. The handles remained cool all througout the heating process…..I was so pleasantly surprised. Victor Jorgensen will receive a free kit for his highly successful suggestion.

The first video shows the handles being totally cool to handle the pot once it came to a boil.

The second and third show turbulence while the burner is ablaze. The one video I vigorously blew at the windscreen/pot to see how well it sheilded the flame….awesome protection.

As you will see, I used a mirror placed at the base of the canister so you can see up into the underside of the windscreen.

https://youtu.be/-YHQ7XZizOQ</s

https://youtu.be/HNnJBnGwtSc

YouTube video

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Made a mistake, 1st one this year :-) It was that said:

Eng-Shien Wu

@engshien
    </p>

</div>

I’m interested, but is it possible to modify the shorter model so that the pot handles can be still be used (two notches in the windscreen for the handles)? I’m willing to sacrifice some efficiency for ergonomics.

He gets the free kit.:dblthumb:

</div>
    </div>

Eng-Shien Wu
    BPL Member

@engshien

I just noticed your Stormy Stove for Esbit. Would this also work for Esbit? Alcohol? Would you need extra holes?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Dan, you’re closing in on something really nice. Keep iterating. I think David’s suggestion of angling the fins is worth investigating although it might hinder the simplicity of construction.

PS:  I’d be very interested in this sized for a wide Toaks 900ml pot :)

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

Yes Dan, it is Eng-Shien Wu that deserves the credit for the suggestion.  I don’t mind paying for my kit when they are ready.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The windscreen is evolving day by day because of ideas going back and forth.

I cut some slots in the long version for the handles to slide into when using alcohol or esbit. On the bottom are three air entry holes for use with alcohol and esbit.

This photo shows the handle slot location when using windscreen in the canister mode:

I do have the ability to provide 1 cup capacity aluminum cups that would fit inside of the short version kit. Windscreen would fit inside the aluminum cup. Cup looks like this:

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

Where can I sign up for the Grease Pot/ BRS-3000 version?

I am anxious to transfer money. Please provide your account details.  :-)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Toaks 900 and Grease pot will come at a later date. For now I have to get back to the original full length version. I’m going to utilize David’s idea of adding angular vortex generators to create turbulence within the walls of the windscreen. Sorry for the delays.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Dan – R&D takes time.  Excited to see where you are able to take this.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools