Topic

TD Sidewinder as canister stove upper windshield?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TD Sidewinder as canister stove upper windshield?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Saw this and thought – “Huh, interesting, is that safe?”

Photo from http://walkingwomad.com/2016/03/07/hiking-on-the-canary-islands-la-gomera-and-tenerife/

Apparently they used this setup for a big chunk of the PCT, too:

http://walkingwomad.com/2016/02/10/pct-15-gear-review/

Anybody else tried this?

— Rex

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I don’t like it!
    It risks causing a lot of CO emission, and it risks overheating the canister.
    But that’s me.

Cheers

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Rex, Yes, I have used similar. About 10-12 years ago I used a piece of aluminum foil over my pot(s) to capture heat from the old SVEA. It worked really well. But, as Roger says, you have to have enough air feeding the bottom jet and flame. This will keep CO emissions to a minimum. Since the heat will rise, out of the vents, I don’t see any problem with it in that regard. But, when I used a cone, it slipped off the pot. You can see the off angle it is sitting at in the pic. I am guessing that is due to the expansion and contraction of the metals. That is why I used a simple “cap” over the whole pot with an extra large piece of foil with some holes punched in it.

I added a found stone on top to keep it relatively in position, in any sort of wind. It worked pretty well actually. For about the weight of the top, it also captured the heat next to the pot. However, in any sort of wind, it would still blow the flame around a bit and really disrupt heat flow in the cone. So, I still needed a wind screen around the lower to prevent that. Carrying both turned into a gadget factory.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Hey Roger, it’s a Pocket Rocket, with a cone. Want to revise your post?

;)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Nick

Bit hard to tell what stove is inside, isn’t it?
    But no, the stove model does not really change my concern about increases in CO production or overheating of the canister.

Cheers

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

On a recent car camping trip, I chose to throw caution to the wind and try the combination of Sidewinder, 900 ml Evernew pot, and a roughly 30-year-old Bluet cartridge stove in windy conditions, on picnic tables and the tailgate of my truck, in temperatures ranging from 40° F to 60° F, to boil 2-3 cups of water and simmer for a few minutes every night. And heat water to clean up afterwards.

Worked great. Lived to post this message. Cartridge got warm-ish to the touch, but never hot. Even the plastic regulator knob came through unharmed. Tip: Rotate the Sidewinder so it jams against the pot handles, then it won’t slide down.

Don’t try this at home, or you’ll die or something.

— Rex

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

How about Sidewinder and a remote canister stove? I have a Kovea Spider. It would be a nice snug fit and there’d be no danger of the canister getting hot, but I wonder about ventilation – would this produce carbon monoxide? Maybe I should try it – if I don’t post again you know the answer…

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

if you use a tight fitting screen, make sure theres nothing that can be melted on the enclosed areas on the stove …

;)

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

Like the rubber seals you mean Eric?!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Any plastic some stoves might have …

some stoves get melted by too large a frying pan (our dear leaders jetboil for example), never mid a constrictive windscreen …

;)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools