Topic

Upright Canister Stove Reviews, StoveBench Tests, and Gear Guide

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Upright Canister Stove Reviews, StoveBench Tests, and Gear Guide

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Interesting, thanks, this makes sense

“However, if (IF) this is a genuine BRS-3000T it suggests …”

I question if there is a real BRS company that has quality control and so forth, so the word “genuine” doesn’t really apply

Is this just a bunch of individuals with parts with unknown pedigree?  The Chinese manufacturing system is different than ours.

Another failure that people have mentioned is bits of metal from the manufacturing process that plug up the fuel path.

I got one of these and have used it no problem a few times.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger said:

We now have more info.

the failure was in the tiny little piece of metal that supports the pot support. It has a rivet through it. The pot support leg itself didn’t fail. The metal in that riveted piece slowly creep(ed) as it heated, until the pot fell off the stove during operation. Same mode of failure for 4 of the 7 stoves I bought of a single batch. I haven’t been able to replicate since. So, possibly a batch defect resulting from improper tempering of this particular part.

This from Ryan J.

Some photos to explain it all follow.

This is an undamaged BRS-3000T stove (mine) heating a Ti pot.  Please note carefully the pot support arm which is connected to a ring under the burner head by a rivet. That little ring must stay ‘flat’ (albeit with right angle bends) for the pot supports to be at the correct angle.

This is the only photo I have of one of the damaged stoves. It was provided to me by Ryan J, to whom thanks.  Please note the way the pot support arm sags down at an angle highlighted by the blue line. The pot support arm itself is NOT bent or damaged: it is the support ring (with rivet) which is bent or twisted.

How did this happen? I have no idea, although to me it looks as though the riveted support ring was bent down by force. This might indicate serious ‘trauma’, or it might indicate a really soft bit of metal as Ryan suggests. In the latter case, the ‘force’ would be that of gravity on the pot. Plasticine metal. But there is more.

What is curious is that some units seem to have kinked pot support arms, as shown here. My BRS-3000T stoves (I have several) do not. Is this damage or a fault? I don’t think it is either: I think the kink was part of the manufacturing. However, if (IF) this is a genuine BRS-3000T it suggests that there has been some variation in the production process, which leads on to this photo.

I found this photo on the web (author unknown). The pot support arm has that possibly genuine kink, but the bent part of the support ring shows a bad crack as highlighted. This sort of crack looks to me as though the metal was bent up after it had been tempered. I have made similar cracks in test pieces of Ti 6Al4V myself. Once again, some variation in production, and definitely some deficiencies in Quality Control.

What this leads to is that the QC on this support ring may have been lacking, at least for a batch or two. Not enough tempering, too much tempering, tempering at the wrong time, … whatever. If you have a ‘good’ unit, then that’s fine: keep cooking. After all, Ryan did find 3 good ones in his batch of 7. If you have been unlucky enough to get one from a bad batch – go back to your supplier with photos and demand a refund.

If you are thinking of buying one – do so, but test it carefully as soon as you get it, and only buy from someone you could go back to in case of a problem. Remember: many of us are very happy with our units.

HTH
    Cheers
    <ul id=”bbp-reply-revision-log-3618571″ class=”bbp-reply-revision-log”>
    <li id=”bbp-reply-revision-log-3618571-item-3618572″ class=”bbp-reply-revision-log-item”>This reply was modified 15 hours, 47 minutes ago by  Roger Caffin.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger, there is no visual evidence in the photo saying Ryan ever tested it with heat applied. No discoloration caused by heat. We are led to believe the support arm was bent prior to heating. A possibility is when the stove was screwed onto the canister or when the supports were raised to the open position. That would be 2 “operator errors”

Very possible that it was a faulty rivet(weak metal) or an assembly error created by child labor ;) not enough pressure to the rivet to make a complete closure/assembly.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Can’t agree that there is no evidence of heat, of the stove having been used.

Look at the corner of the pot support pointed to by the green arrow. That is typical heat discoloration. Also, Ryan did say until the pot fell off the stove during operation. in the above quote. You would not expect a lot of heat marking if the stove failed on first use.

Cheers

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

BRS 3000T failed. Pictures have been posted.  Older stoves don’t have the problem. Some newer stoves may have exhibited the problem. Some recent ones seem ok.  Are we done yet?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Look at the scrape marks on the canister. Stove was screwed down onto canister while pot supports were in the down position causing support arms to bend outward. “User Error” of the ultimate kind. Errors are so obvious.

Ryan had 4 that melted, so he was in error….should have said “rivets failed” ;)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

<div id=”post-3454249″ class=”bbp-reply-header”>

<div class=”bbp-meta”><span class=”bbp-reply-post-date”>Mar 3, 2017 at 7:41 pm</span>#3454249<span class=”bbp-admin-links”>REPLY | REPORT</span></div>

</div>
    <div class=”odd bbp-parent-forum-1215628 bbp-parent-topic-3454249 bbp-reply-position-1 user-id-37976 topic-author post-3454249 topic type-topic status-publish entry”>

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>
    Hikin’ Jim
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>BPL Member</div>
    <p class=”bbp-user-nicename”>@hikin_jim</p>

<span class=”profile-data”>Locale: Orange County, CA, USA</span></div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

So, I’ve got a total of 4 reports of pot support failure.  OK, yeah, that’s not that many, but…

Sorry Jon, you are in error,  the older ones are the ones that failed according to HikinJim, posted in the year 2017. See his above statements in the thread “another one bites the dust”

</div>
    </div>

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I was fiddling with my BRS-3000T.  There’s no position of the arms that would produce scrape marks on the canister like that.  Maybe that was from some other stove.  If I push the valve handle down I can get it to reach the canister at about that location, but it doesn’t seem like that would cause any failure.

My stove says “Fuhoz” on it.  Maybe that’s the manufacturer name.

Sorry Jon, this subject will never die.  Mystery must be analyzed to death and then some.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hey Jerry – can you post a photo of yours?
    If it has Fuhoz written on it, I don’t think it is a genuine BRS-3000T.

I found this in the web. What is it?
    Brass column, not Ti.
    Different pot supports, and weaker
    Different (bigger) rivet
    Narrower bent arms
    “Fire Maple BRS” conflates two different brand names (one Korean I think)

Move over America, now we have the Wild Wild East!

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Who are BRS?
    This is their web site: http://www.brs.net.cn/company. But the ‘English’ button does not work yet.
    They may be part of http://www.futailong.com – that URL brings up the same web pages. Or the other way around?
    Anyways, they are not a backyard job.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger, translated it for you:

<span>Since 1999, the company has invested in outdoor leisure, investing tens of millions of yuan and “Wal-Mart” and “Metro” to achieve an annual output value of more than 10 million US dollars. All products are exported. In 2005, the company once again invested 10 million yuan to invest in the field of outdoor camping supplies, opened up the domestic outdoor products market, and registered the English “BRS”; the Chinese “Brothers” brand, focusing on the design, development, production and sales of outdoor equipment, The products cover 4 core products: outdoor oil stoves, outdoor gas stoves, pots and self-driving equipment, as well as other types of extension products. </span>

<span>BRS is the abbreviation of English Brothers (brothers), representing the brand concept of the brothers.</span>

<span>With strong financial and technical advantages, BRS quickly gained recognition from consumers and quickly stabilized the domestic and international outdoor products market. The company has accumulated more than 1,000 domestic distributors and a huge sales network in more than 50 countries.</span>

<span>In order to adapt to the rapid development of the household market, “Jie Deng Outdoor Products Co., Ltd.” was established in 2012. With independent intellectual property rights, the company has more than 60 patents in 2012, and has the industry’s leading technical reserves, production capacity and testing equipment. A number of key technologies have been in the international leading position, and at the same time, it is one of the domestic outdoor camping equipment production bases. There are already five national military designated procurement company products. BRS always leads the technology trend of outdoor camping equipment, and constantly innovates to make products better serve the public.

“Mobile landscape, unchanging home” is BRS’s philosophy of pursuing outdoor products, and hopes that this positive, healthy and civilized lifestyle will be passed on to everyone’s hearts through our products and services. A healthy and positive life.

</div>

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Thanks Dan.
    Not a backyard operator then.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

what I bought according to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Backpacking-Miniature-Ultra-light-Camping/dp/B01N5WRJ8A/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Camp+Stove+Titanium+Stove+Backpacking+Stove+Hiking+Stove+Miniature+Stove+Ultra-Light+Stove+Camping+Stove+Pocket+Stove&qid=1573776480&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-3

But mine is actually a little different:

I see there are a lot of BRS labeled stoves on Amazon

“With independent intellectual property rights, the company has more than 60 patents”

I think intellectual property rights are a little different in China.  No reason for anyone to respect them

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

The tiny stove market is nutz. i wonder how many sub 3oz stoves are sold yearly, worldwide.

I wonder what will be next. Different fuel? Nothing? Stoves finally made of Unobtanium?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

hydrogen fuel rather than butane?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jerry

I think your stove, branded Fohoz (not Fuhoz), probably IS a BRS-3000T unit, but rebranded by BRS for whoever Fohoz is. The Chinese do a lot of this rebranding. After all, it is just a change of silk-screen. They probably just have an MOQ for it. You pay for the silkscreen and buy 1,000 (say) units.

Test it. If it goes well and does not get warped, then fine.

I will stick my neck way out and suggest that the ’60 patents’ comment is probably aimed mainly at the USA market.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger, I seriously doubt that qc would not have seen such an error.

Attaching the arm would not have been possible with such a fracture. The action of setting the rivet would have broken it completely.

More than likely, the owner tried to bend it back to level off the pot support arm and oops, didn’t work to well. operator error.

Ryan has 3 more BRS’s that failed, see if you can get him to take photos of them please.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I seriously doubt that qc would not have seen such an error.
    You would not see it if you were making thousands of them and inspecting them from above. Could have been a very cursory scan over a few dozen at a time at $2/hr.

Attaching the arm would not have been possible with such a fracture.
    When I have managed to make similar fractures in Ti alloy, the bend was still strong – which amazed me. If the riveting was automated then I think it would have been quite possible for the unit to pass through the system intact.

the owner tried to bend it back to level off the pot support arm
    The damage in Ryan’s photo was a twist, not a bend. From inspection of the photo, I think the bend was intact, unchanged. So it is possible that the stove was still able to support a pot. Funny stuff, Ti alloys.

So what caused it the twist? Don’t know. Very puzzling. Could it have been a maladjusted assembly machine? They always have many adjustments on them which have to be tuned and then locked.

It’s always possible: Coleman once had a batch of ‘faulty’ Powermax canisters due to a maladjustment in the crimping machine used for attaching the Lindal Valves. Caused no end of strange customer complaints. They fixed it after I alerted them to the source of the problem.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger, the stoves are packaged by hand, I know, I carefully unpacked 6 of them looking for defects.

What are the odds that 4 rejects of the same type ended up in the package of 7 that Ryan purchased. Highly unlikely. Ryan needs to show us the other 3 rejects ;)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Jerry, I noticed a defect in your stove pictured above. How did that outward bend occur on the support ring? I enlarged your photo to get a screen shot.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Dan, that support ring on the one of mine that failed  a year ago also had such an ‘outward bend’, although much less dramatic. It was pretty easy to bend it back into proper position when I got home.

I finally got around to re-testing that stove’s performance earlier this week, to see if I could replicate the previous failure. I purposely chose to run it at a higher flame setting. I usually run it at 1/4 turn from the off position, but for these tests I opened the valve about 1/3 turn . I did five 2-cup boils using 45* F water. Then, to test a heavier pot weight, I did 3 boils of ~3 cups of that same water in an MSR Titan Kettle. The stove functioned perfectly, with no sign of impending failure as what happened before.

I’m guessing that excessive heat might have caused the support ring issue. I am thinking that my friend, (who doesn’t quite get it about using a lower flame setting to conserve fuel), would continually fire up the stove at a rather high flame setting. In addition to wasting fuel, this likely created a good amount of heat which could have caused failure of the support ring. I’m just guessing here…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

this likely created a good amount of heat which could have caused failure of the support ring.
    Trouble with that idea is that the top of the pot support, which does get red hot (see my photo near the top of this page), is not distorted. The rivet area does not get that hot. Strange.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

the owner tried to bend it back to level off the pot support arm
    The damage in Ryan’s photo was a twist, not a bend. From inspection of the photo, I think the bend was intact, unchanged. So it is possible that the stove was still able to support a pot. Funny stuff, Ti alloys.

So what caused it the twist? Don’t know. Very puzzling. Could it have been a maladjusted assembly machine? They always have many adjustments on them which have to be tuned and then locked.

Roger, you’ve been around here for ages and then some, In your opinion, why doesn’t Ryan J participate in this discusion being he is the one that has had the experience of the 4 melting stoves?

Mark Ayers
    BPL Member

@philoserf

Locale: greater Grand Rapids, western Michigan, about the midpoint of the North Country National Scenic Trail

I am surprised the Crux lite was here but not the Crux. I’ve been a Pocket Rocket user for a very long time. I thought the Crux might be a good competitive choice. It was clear the Crux lite wasn’t. Big miss in a comprehensive review.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools