Topic

The COVID 19 outbreak. Does it mean MORE backpacking this year?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion The COVID 19 outbreak. Does it mean MORE backpacking this year?

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 530 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

As for backpacking – I’ve still been doing long dayhikes a couple of times a month, and may get one or two more in before they get stopped by work, or the heat/humidity, or both.   I’ve got two drive-able weekend backpacking trips planned this spring/summer, and then a Southern Sierra High Route trip in early August – I have to fly for it obviously, but hopefully this mess is under control by then.    If it’s not I’m not sure our economy/society can survive.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-quarantine-intl-hnk/index.html

“Hong Kong appeared to have the coronavirus under control, then it let its guard down”

Hong Kong largely prevented covid19 by shutting things down.  Then they eased up – people going back to work, groups of people,…  Then new cases happened and they’re tightening back up.

I think that’s what we have to look forward to.  Shutdown to eliminate new cases, then loosen up but expect new waves.  Find out just how much loosening we can do.  Until a treatment or vaccine are available.  Maybe a year from now.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/scientists-rush-to-develop-novel-coronavirus-vaccine-60-minutes-2020-03-22/

good piece about developing treatment/vaccine

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

This posted yesterday from the San Mateo Country Health Officer, near San Francisco:

“As I write this, I am both immensely grateful and exceedingly disappointed. We are in a grave crisis. I believe the virus is growing at an exponential rate in our county. Unless everyone does their part and follows the County’s Shelter-in-Place order and the Governor’s Safer at Home order, we will be facing an Italy-type catastrophe very soon. These orders are not recommendations, they are rules to be followed. My disappointment stems from the fact that many people just aren’t taking this seriously and going about their business as if nothing has changed. Our world has profoundly changed in an instant. It is now up to you all, the community, to decide what you want your future to be. If you decide you want to do your own thing and follow your own rules, you disrespect us all. You spit in our face, and you will contribute to the death toll that will follow. For those of you who say: “nobody tells me what to do,” now is a time to make an exception. You can go back to being ornery in the future.”

And this:

“For families in different households, do not mix your households at this time. As hard as this is, do not gather in any way outside of immediate households. As for outdoor exercise, people certainly need to get out, but do this in your own immediate neighborhoods. Do not drive except to provide or obtain an essential service. Do not go into other neighborhoods for recreation. This increases the risk of virus spread. Always maintain social distance. Wash your hands frequently and follow all the other recommended actions.”

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Yesterday new cases:

New York – 5085

California – 378

Today:

New York – 2335

California – 29

That’s a good trend.  Maybe the numbers were larger the previous couple days because they started doing more testing.

You need to see improvement for a few days before it’s significant

You need to see a reduction in ventilator demand before you really know for sure.  That’s delayed several weeks from new cases

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Great Smokey Mountain National Park just closed all trails through at least April 6th.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/coronavirus-symptoms-loss-of-smell-may-be-an-early-indicator-of-covid-19-doctors-say.html

“Coronavirus symptoms: Loss of smell may be an early indicator of COVID-19, doctors say”

“Those in the health care industry are still waiting for firm and robust data confirming that patients with COVID-19 develop this symptom shortly after contracting the disease. However, anecdotal evidence has started to show anosmia, partial or complete smell blindness, may prove to be a side-effect of the disease, some claim.”

Supposedly, some people that are asymptomatic experience this.  Since they’re asymptomatic, they continue infecting other people

If loss of smell (and taste) is verified to be true, this would help people know to isolate themselves.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

oops – they just added some more new cases in New York for today, now 4790

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

In the case of Oregon and Washington, they update once a day, and then they put the number on worldometer

In the case of New York, worldometers showed 2335 so I assumed that was the days number like Oregon and Washington, but then they updated it to 4790.  Maybe they’ll update it again today with a higher number.

I am hoping they turn things around.  New York is making some efforts at social distancing.  At some point things will turn around.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/03/23/heres-when-bill-gates-predicts-we-can-reopen-the-e.aspx

“When asked by one questioner the simple question, “how long will this go on?” Gates replied:

This will vary a lot by country. China is seeing very few cases now because their testing and “shut down” was very effective. If a country does a good job with testing and “shut down” then within 6-10 weeks they should see very few cases and be able to open back up.”

But, it’s 6 – 10 weeks from shut down to very few cases only if the shutdown is sufficient.  We won’t know if the shut down is sufficient for several weeks.  I am skeptical we’re there yet.

If we dilly dally around and have a half ass shutdown, it just puts off the time from which the 6 – 10 weeks clock starts.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

LA County has closed all multi-use trails, effective yesterday.

I live on the doorstep of many Angeles National Forest trailheads and use them on a near daily basis year-round.  I ride my bike in alone, to walk and sit alone, and have been doing so during the Stay at Home orders (which originally still provided for outdoor walking, etc.).

The last two weeks have been among the busiest I’ve ever seen it out there, on par with Memorial Day weekend and other big “outdoor” holidays; it’s been a giant party.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

That article also explained that peak in new cases feb 12/13, they recategorized a bunch of cases as covid19 that were previously categorized as something else.  The Feb 12/13 peak data should be smoothed out over previous days.  :

The real peak was Feb 4, and then new cases gradually declined.  That’s what we have to do.

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

“The last two weeks have been among the busiest I’ve ever seen it out there, on par with Memorial Day weekend and other big “outdoor” holidays; it’s been a giant party.”

I suspected as much; I am glad I ignored people’s advice here to check out the trail head first. In large cities like LA it just seemed obvious too many people would have the gumption to think only they want to use the trail.

I’m sorry everyone else has ruined something I’m sure you worked hard to have in your backyard Wisner @xnomanx

For all of us in urban areas I think we need to accept that our local trails, parks, and wilderness areas aren’t remote and we shouldn’t travel to remote places. This means less backpacking for us.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’m not going to begrudge anyone of their desire to get outside.  It was pretty obvious it was going to get crazy as restaurants, malls, bars, gyms, sporting events and everything else most people do for entertainment/exercise got shut down.  Not sure how loading up the family van for a picnic is in line with pleas to avoid non-essential travel as part of a Shelter in Place order, but hey…people were also told that “outdoor activities” were still OK.  I tend to think that by “outdoor activities” the state meant a walk around the neighborhood, not getting on the I-405 to explore new hiking areas or driving to Joshua Tree to climb….

“All of humanity’s problems stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.” – Blaise Pascal.  An extreme statement, but likely some resonance in these times…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Trails closed in OR and wa.  Maybe not everywhere, it’s a decision for each locale

I can see why they did this, otherwise they’re crowded

Maybe if someone went somewhere and obeyed protocol, no one would bother them

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I’m so lucky all the trails at Tilden park close to my house are still open. And surprisingly have been nearly deserted! Yesterday the otters and egret were back at Jewel lake. It’s been lightly raining so maybe this accounts for the lack of hikers but I doubt it. My neighborhood has tons of walkers out and about at all hours, but not enough to form crowds. Easy to keep distance.

I like the Pascal quote. I’m actually getting more into the rhythm of staying in! Sorta liking it. I’m trying to settle down. I spend too much time on the internet tho.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Maybe that which cannot be seen cannot be bothered.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

that has the sound of a famous quote…

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Jerry, OK, you are only counting new cases. Sorry, I thought you were counting confirmed cases (over 25,000 at 1800 MAY24.)

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Why is anyone asking or taking the advice of Bill Gates with regard to a public health issue? Is he some sort of expert?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I don’t worship Gates.  He was a ruthless businessman, although also he created a standard that many people use.

His advice about covid19 sounds reasonable.  His charity seems pretty effective.  He’s donated a lot of money, he could have used it to buy the world’s most glorious yacht : )

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

what happens if Madonna and Bill Gates give me contradictory advice? oOHH, my head! Who to trust in this mixed up world?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Gates

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Why is anyone asking or taking the advice of Bill Gates with regard to a public health issue? Is he some sort of expert?”

The Gates Foundation has been very active in worldwide health issues for quite some time. The Foundation started investing in COVID-19 mitigation efforts back in January (before our own administration was doing … I believe the technical term is ‘jack shit’). Bill is a very smart guy who listens to experts/leans on science. He even had a ‘Perspective’ article about necessary steps in the battle against COVID-19 in the New England Journal of Medicine – they don’t usually allow quacks to publish in their journal.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 530 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools