Topic

The COVID 19 outbreak. Does it mean MORE backpacking this year?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion The COVID 19 outbreak. Does it mean MORE backpacking this year?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 530 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

With overseas trips being cancelled wholesale as a result of the COVID 19 pandemic does this mean more folks will opt for backpacking, car camping and canoe tripping this year?

It seems these choices would be a good way to have fun outdoors in a safe environment. I plan on adding more of these trips this year instead of our planned (and cancelled) drive around Spain and Portugal.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

We’re supposed to work from home if we have symptoms. (cough, cough)

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

I was just pondering the same question. For those of us who are asymptomatic, time in the bush is beneficial in so many ways – including sources of infection!

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

* avoiding sources of infection

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Probably best to drive yourself to the trailhead and avoid public transport.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Out in the boonies, just about everyone keeps a certain personal space except couples.

May be some more solo type trips but counterbalanced by less “group-drive” trips where many share transportation for any great amount of time.  Conferences and now festivals are being called off (Austin’s SXSW the latest to be cancelled) … but that’s far more massive in terms of sardine – packed people than even a group backpacking trip.

Also depends on the virus itself.  Does it linger through summer or disappear in terms of activity?  If it disappears, does it reappear when cold weather returns?  Unknown.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m wondering if the school I teach at will close down for a while. I may need to do some backpacking here real soon. :)

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

… add there’s also bicycle riding, kayaking, motorcycle-riding, etc..

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

And base jumping and bungie jumping……

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Just don’t get hurt because hospitals are likely to be so overburdened that people with other problems, including getting hurt on an adventure, won’t get the care you might need.

Larry Swearingen
    BPL Member

@larry_swearingen

Locale: NE Indiana

If it last into the Summer maybe less crowded National Parks that
    have a LOT of International visitors. Think Yellowstone or Yosemite.

Larry

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

As my mind turns to what is potentially in store for the sick and/or elderly members of my family and community, I’m not exactly inspired to go backpacking…

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Even if “only the old and compromised” die this is awful.
    Here’s a scary thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/LizSpecht/status/1236095180459003909

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Keeping it medical, Dr. Fauci (one of the lead US doctors in this field) said on the Meet the Press show, the next 3 months may call for more “social distancing”, … especially among vulnerable, as a vaccine is worked on.  Summarized here..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-08/fauci-says-his-sense-on-coronavirus-scope-is-not-encouraging

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

That’s a very grim thread Kat, thanks for sharing. I get the very, very strong impression that managing political and economic optics are currently more important to our government than an appropriate course of action- and I’m hearing this from friends and family in the health care system, one of whom is an epidemiologist.

And I take absolutely no comfort in the “only the old and compromised” line of thinking that people seem to be throwing around so casually.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Katt’s thread is scary and I’m not taking covid lightly. However, I wonder about this: the author played with the Italy’s 10% number, as here:

“10% of Italian cases that tested positive required ICU stay for acute hypoxia respiratory failure, ie, mechanical ventilation. See where the math goes when you calculate not how many hospital beds, but how many ventilators.”

BUT: remember, cases that are being tested are from walk in hospital patients; i.e. they felt sick enough to go to the hospital. Will 10% of the entire population who gets corona virus require icu stays? I seriously doubt that. I’m guessing the vast majority of those who get this virus or have already had it simply ride it out like a normal flu. However math and statistics is hardly my strong suit and maybe I’m misunderstanding.

the flu looks incredibly deadly and virulent based on the patient sample that shows up severely sick at a hospital. That’s not a real sample of the flu as it’s acting in the world at large (I hope.)

That said, I’m all for going all out prepping supplies for hospital workers and establishing emergency beds and all the rest for the influx that’s likely to show up soon. We should be/have been going all out.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

I read that a genetic analysis of the covid bug in Seattle showed that it had been circulating in the population for six weeks. that was about two weeks ago. I haven’t heard of a large uptick in hospitalizations in Seattle, but I may have missed this.

I’m assuming this flu has been circulating for a similar period of time here in the Bay Area. that means a lot people have it. But there are still few tested positives–in this theory, because not that many people have become so ill they required going to the hospital to be tested.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Part of the problem, of course, is that there simply aren’t enough test kits, and won’t be any time soon.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

That is about to change.  Maybe……I have it on good authority that the University of Washington virology department has perfected a self test with an 8 hour turn around time and is readying it for distribution.  They intend to manufacture 2000 tests per day and ramp it up from there.  The main obstacle is apparently getting CDC approval.  Who would’ve thought that our premier infectious disease institution would become part of the problem?  Between them and the megalomaniacal sociopath in the White House, we are on the verge of becoming a banana republic, with the public paying the price.

Brian W
    BPL Member

@empedocles

I have three car camping trips planned.  I’m planning to do day hikes at least twice a month.  And I’m looking at some back country permits for the fall.  I don’t anticipate any out of state travel unless this virus is contained.

Here’s how I’m tracking this thing:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

And here’s where I’m getting a medical view on the virus:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MEDCRAMvideos

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for the links Brian. It’s not looking good in Italy.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Yes, it looks grim in Italy. My optimistic scenario may be way off base. I really have no idea how this will all play out.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

YouTube video

this is a good explanation

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

What’s a little frustrating is the influenza vs. Covid dilemma I’m encountering in discussions.  I was speaking with my 75 year old mother tonight about the scenario.  Her default response was “yeah, but the flu kills tens of thousands per year…”

Perhaps influenza patterns should serve as a major warning, not a sign of comfort?

If influenza can kill 35,000+ Americans, cause 500,000 hospitalizations, 15,000,000 hospital visits, and 35,000,000 cases in 2018 despite a robust vaccination program, knowledge of the virus, a shorter incubation period…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

And I often have a variety of strangers in my house as I’m doing some remodeling. I pretty much stay in my office while they’re here.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 530 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools