Topic

New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Mike, I think I have found a minor bug…

Add a gear item to a pack, then edit the item in the pack and change it’s weight.  You will not be able to edit any more items that are in the pack until you back out of the pack and re-select it.

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Locale: SoCal

Add a gear item to a pack, then edit the item in the pack and change it’s weight.  You will not be able to edit any more items that are in the pack until you back out of the pack and re-select it.

When you change its weight are you changing the weight value or the unit, or both?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

The value.  Although I just tried changing the unit with the same result.  After the change, when you tap an item there is a light grey background animation…sort of a sweep from left to right, but you are not taken to the edit screen.  This animation will happen with every item in the pack until you exit the pack.  The animation does not seem to exist when things are working as intended.

I have confirmed this behavior on iPhone and 2 iPads.

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

The value.  Although I just tried changing the unit with the same result.  After the change, when you tap an item there is a light grey background animation…sort of a sweep from left to right, but you are not taken to the edit screen.  This animation will happen with every item in the pack until you exit the pack.  The animation does not seem to exist when things are working as intended.

I will definitely be getting a release out this week with image uploads. I will tackle this bug as well, I think I got an idea of what’s going on.

In the meantime here is a another beta image of image uploads in DFTS:

Keith T
    BPL Member

@keith-t

Locale: Western Central Sierra

Hi Mike,

I’ve downloaded your app and it looks pretty cool so far. I haven’t used the packing/checkmark feature yet, but that’s probably the biggest draw over lighterpack.

I want to add one more vote for a desktop version, when you have time. I plan my trips and gear at work on my desktop, then go home and switch to my phone to do the actual organizing and packing. So for me, a desktop version is the most important part of the equation because it’s where I do all my brainstorming and pack tweaking.

I appreciate what you’re doing with this app, so I hope I’m not coming off as ungrateful with this feedback.

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

I’ve downloaded your app and it looks pretty cool so far. I haven’t used the packing/checkmark feature yet, but that’s probably the biggest draw over lighterpack.

Even though you haven’t tried the packing feature yet, glad to hear you are excited about it! It’s in our name, we don’t want you to forget a thing in the backcountry, it can be dangerous if you do!

I want to add one more vote for a desktop version, when you have time. I plan my trips and gear at work on my desktop, then go home and switch to my phone to do the actual organizing and packing.

I really appreciate the feedback here, and love how you talked me through your use case. Super helpful! My next update adding image uploads is pretty big, might take a look more into desktop after I push it out. Flutter (Programming language I use) recently had an update come out which may make desktop designs a little easier for me. Are you on Mac or PC? I think I may be able to click a checkmark to allow users to install the app, on the desktop. Just wouldn’t be a huge window…. I will look into this in the short term as well.

I appreciate what you’re doing with this app, so I hope I’m not coming off as ungrateful with this feedback.

Not at all, I love the feedback especially how you walked me through your planning process. Super helpful!

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

JCH,

I am just about wrapping up all my image upload tasks and am getting ready to push a release. With that said I wanted to address your issue of having issues changing values when editing a gear in a pack.

I wasn’t able to initially re-create that issue. Can you try going into the menu and togling that gear item for me? So basically remove it from the back and re-add it. Then try editing it again?

If that doesn’t work, is there a DM feature on this forum to further troubleshoot with you?

I have twitter and instagram as well, if there is no DM feature here.

Joel P
    BPL Member

@scouter55

Hi Mike,

I am recently retired and getting back into backpacking.   At 67 years old I am working on lightening my load to compensate for age related knee and muscle decline.  I was accustomed to pack weight between 40 and 50 lbs.  I am re-tooling my pack planning and updating my “gear locker” to end up somewhere between ultralight and light.  I’ve always been a checklist guy when loading my pack, so this will be very helpful.

As Alex V mentioned, the ability to print list would be nice. While I do work on PC I am fine with using iPad instead.  Maybe a windows version with interoperability with iOS / Android could be a useful Premium feature.

I have only played with it a few minutes so no bugs noticed but I look forward to building a pack for a spring trip over the next few weeks.

THANKS for developing this app!

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

I am recently retired and getting back into backpacking.   At 67 years old I am working on lightening my load to compensate for age related knee and muscle decline.  I was accustomed to pack weight between 40 and 50 lbs.  I am re-tooling my pack planning and updating my “gear locker” to end up somewhere between ultralight and light.  I’ve always been a checklist guy when loading my pack, so this will be very helpful.

Welcome to the app! Excited to be a small part of your journey on lightening your load!

As you use the app do not be a stranger, Love hearing feedback! If you enjoy the app please go to the play store and leave a review as well to help spread the word!

While I do work on PC I am fine with using iPad instead.  Maybe a windows version with interoperability with iOS / Android could be a useful Premium feature.

Based on the feedback I have been getting I may scope out desktop or web browser based versions here soon. The app works on iPad right now, but I think it looks visually awful on the iPad so need to work on optimizing the app for larger screens other than phones.

I am so close to releasing the next big update for image uploads. Trying to get it out today or tomorrow, but will definitely have it pushed this weekend to the app stores for approval.

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Alright Image uploads is now live for Android and iOS! Enjoy!

Also fixed a few bugs and added some new default gear types you can pick from like climbing harness and helmet.

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

JCH,

I was finally able to reproduce your bug. I was able to fix it and it should be live on Android and iPhone now.

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Added a couple community requested features for small quality of live improvements yesterday. New update is live on Android and is being processed for iPhone. iPhone update should be live by the end of next week.

Updates include:

• Added the ability to un-pack all gear in a pack with one click
    • Can now search for ‘is-packed’ and ‘not-packed’ in pack search bar to see all packed or all not packed items
    • Tapping the packed percentage circle now toggles ‘not-packed’ search
    • Cleaned up setting page some more

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Nice!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Mike,

It’s now Feb. 26 and read your list of app upgrades. You are improving this app very quickly. Based on past experience do you have some idea when Apple will give you the approval for the updated iOS version?

This app is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Thank you for all your work.

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Eric,

Glad to hear this app is exactly what you have been looking for! Please tell your friends and write us a review in the app store!

Also both Android and iPhone should be on the samer version now, this was the quickest Apple has approved an update for me :-)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I just downloaded it. I’m old and don’t know much about “apps.”

After downloading it says I must sign in with my Apple ID or Google ID, which I did not do. Who is using my Apple ID information and how do I know it is safe.

This brings me to the next point — if I have to sign in, then I must be connected to the internet, right? What if I have no internet connectivity, as I often do for a few months a year?

Also, I went back through the thread and it appears the data is not stored on the device, but somewhere else? Where?

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

After downloading it says I must sign in with my Apple ID or Google ID, which I did not do. Who is using my Apple ID information and how do I know it is safe.

That is correct you must sign in. Your apple ID is used to track all your gear you add ot your gear locker in the cloud database. This allows you to sign in from anay device switch phones etc. and still have acces to your gear. Apple allows you to even hide your email address so I cant even see that if selected.

What if I have no internet connectivity, as I often do for a few months a year?

If you go without internet for months this app is probably not for you as we store your gear and packs in an online database. There are limited offline capabilities with caching but thats it. This app is more designed to help you plan for your adventure, and not specifically designed to be used out in the woods while on your adventure.

Also, I went back through the thread and it appears the data is not stored on the device, but somewhere else? Where?

All data is stored in the Google Cloud on a Firebase Database. You can learn more about firebase databases here if interested: https://firebase.google.com/docs/database

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

it says I must sign in with my Apple ID or Google ID
    Amusing.
    I don’t have either.
    I don’t intend to get either.

Cheers

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

I don’t have either.
    I don’t intend to get either.

I would say the app is definitely not for you then, appreciate the feedback.

PeakaWeek
    Spectator

@peak-a-week

Sorry, but I agree with Roger. I was very excited to use your app until I needed to log in with Google or Apple ID.

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Sorry, but I agree with Roger. I was very excited to use your app until I needed to log in with Google or Apple ID.

No worries, I appreciate the feedback!

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Pushed out another update last night to which is now live in the Android store and should be live for iPhone soon.

I added a small but very useful feature:

Added the ability to duplicate a pack. This makes it easy if you have 80-90% of the same items in one pack vs another. This will especially help through hikers who have slight changes in equipment for different section of the PCT or AT.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Hey Mike, like how it’s coming along. How about a copy/duplicate feature in the gear locker to duplicate items that are similar and only need minor changes like stuff sacks of different sizes or clothes for worn vs extra in pack type stuff

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Hey Mike, like how it’s coming along. How about a copy/duplicate feature in the gear locker to duplicate items that are similar and only need minor changes like stuff sacks of different sizes or clothes for worn vs extra in pack type stuff

Josh thats a fantastic idea and will be easy to implement. I am travelling this weekend for some hiking and fun, but should be able to code that and push it out next week :-)

I also have some time set aside to make the app look niver on bigger screens such as tablets. That’s my next big todo.

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Happy Easter for those that celebrate! Released a new small feature last night that Josh J asked for.

You can now duplicate items in your gear locker.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools