Topic

GGG in Southern CA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips GGG in Southern CA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

GGG in Southern Ca

Time to take action and stop thinking about this! Our northern brethren have been having far too much fun for far too long. It’s time all the BPL members in So. California meet and greet. I have some open time before getting out on the trail for extended trips so I’m formally announcing a GGG gathering. I realize this may be too short a notice for some but I wanted to wait to announce it until after the big GGG.

When: April 11-13

Where: Henninger Flats in the San Gabriel Mountains above Pasadena. Water, pit toilets and firewood provided. There are no fire rings but there are standing camp stoves with open fronts. The facility is operated by the County of Los Angeles Fire Dept. It's about a 2.5 mile hike with a 1400' elevation gain.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/ll5eagl

Cost: $0 (Unless I get a bill from Ken charging for using the GGG name)

This is all still in it’s planning/organizing infancy but Ken and others have posted a lot of very useful info about the GGG trips up north so it won’t be a total wing it affair. As an incentive everyone in attendance will receiver a free lightweight gear gift (don't expect anything with cuben fiber in it!).

The campground does not have unlimited space but for now there is no limit on the number of attendees. This could change of course.

More info will be forthcoming.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

March 11-13 is midweek, right? We might get more people if it's moved to the weekend.

Whatever! I'm good for March 11-13, or the weekend of March 14-16.

Great idea, Don, and good job on making it happen!

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Pretty sure there are no fire allowed at all in the San Gabriels?
    At least all the places I've been.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Crips…I forgot to post the diclaimer that all errors are due to age and changes are sure to follow. The correct dates are April 11-13.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

April…not so good, but I could come Saturday afternoon/evening through Sunday.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Arron, "Not all backpackers are retired." I'm not really retired. Backpacking is my Job but I have to work occasionally when I'm not backpacking.

Henninger Flats is not part of the Angeles National Forest (as I read the boundry line on my map) and is subject to the County of LA Fire Dept. As of today they aren't allowing fires in the camp stoves.

Come April it's hard to say what the restrictions or lack thereof will be.

The current fire condition level in the San Gabriel Mts. (Angeles National Forest) is "very high" but fires are still allowed in stoves and fire rings in designated sites.

More info here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/angeles/home/?cid=fsbdev3_027721

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Sat afternoon through Sun should work well Stephen. Fri will be more of a set up day. I'm not sure if there will be any scheduled activities that day. Heck there may be no scheduled activities on Sat for that matter. We'll see how this all plays out.

Don

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Don

I'll try and make this one to represent Borahgear, I couldn't make the one up north due to a severe Gout attack, It's still hangin on! after 2 weeks, I don't think I have any plans that weekend so count me in.

I will bring some of the gear that we make to show others what we have available.

Jack

kevin smith

@divr6347

HEY

dont forget me lol

just got back from ggg 6 5th time attendee and yet again another awesome trip

count me in and jack i hope you have lots of fuel money since its so far for me to come pick you up for the trip (3 blocks around the corner lol )

anyway count me in would love to check out the southern hiking options

kevin

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

Looking forward to it!!

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Thanks for all the initial response. I almost feel like this is cutting into all the happy chatter from all the people who just came back from the big GGG up north.

Jack, that would be super if you can make it. I've been very happy with my Borah Stealth backpack and I just returned from a trip today and one member of the group was feeling warm and toasty in a pair of the Borah Down pants.

Don

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

I'll definitely be there :)

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Great idea! I've missed the GGG's up north, it will be good to have something closer to home.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

You're holding this event in my backyard….I'll be there.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

That's a 15 minute drive for me, I guess I have no choice but to go!

One question though, and forgive the noobness: what does GGG stand for, and what exactly is it?

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

GGG – Gathering of Gear Geeks :)

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

GGG–What is it? This recent post by Tony Wong explains the history and some of what GGG is about. Thank you Tony and also thanks for the write up/interview of Ken Thompson regarding advise for organizing a GGG. It's been my planning guide since I decided to do the GGG/SoCal.

What is the G.G.G and its History on 01/24/2014 23:49:54 MST Reply Report Post Print View

Matthew,

The G.G.G. stands for Gathering of Gear Geeks, which has been an annual winter gathering of lightweight/ultralight backpackers in the California Bay Area.

This is the 6th year that it is being held.

It is open to anyone….traditional and lightweight backpackers, anyone interested in learning about UL backpacking.

The 1st one was organized by Ken Helwig, a BPL member, and was held at Point Reyes, CA. and had about 15-17 people attend.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18317

Successive G.G.G. were co-organized by Ken Helwig and Ken Thompson until we outgrew the group sites there.

At that point, the G.G.G. was moved to Henry Coe State Park in CA/Bay Area, which would allow groups of up to 100 people.

Eventually, Ken Thompson became the sole organizer of the G.G.G with generous help from fellow BPLers who donated water and firewood, which the Rangers at Henry Coe State Park would allow to be trucked into the group sites.

Recently, UL Cottage Gear Manufactures have been coming out to the G.G.G. to enjoy the gathering and to show their products. In fact, last year we have had Ron Moak from Six Moon designs with Brian Frankle, founder of ULA Backpacks, announce a new partnership and showed pro-type product and to get feedback from the UL Community via the GGG attendees.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72766

People have traveled from all across California to attend and we have had a handful of people fly in from other States to attend.

What is nice about the G.G.G., in my opinion, is that it is a great way to check out the large variety of UL/Lightweight gear that you typically can only see in photos online. More importantly, it is about people making friends, sharing their love of the outdoors, swapping stories, sharing knowledge, finding people to take backpacking trips with….etc.

It is casual and inclusive- everyone is welcome, no matter if they are new to backpacking or long time travelers.

Within the past two years, there have been other G.G.G.s that have popped up around the U.S./country.

Hope this helps explain what the G.G.G. is.

Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Very cool. Been a while since you guys had something like this go on. Have fun!

Here is a link to another attempt down your way.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=84522

No charge for using the GGG trademarked brand name.

Kevin and Jack put on a meeting a couple of years ago.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44390

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Some of more illustrious So Cal BPLers will be doing a big run the week before in Zion and may not be able to attend.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Thanks Ken for those links and for you blessing on the use of GGG. I guess I won't have to kiss the ring after all.:-)

Regarding the group doing the run in Zion I think following that up with a few days of RR at a GGG event would be just the ticket. Then again I'm not a runner so what do I know.

If the weather cooperates we'll be enjoying a great view of the city and possibly all the way to Catalina Island from our location at 2860'

Mike Young
    BPL Member

@klackamas

Locale: [email protected]

I'll be there with four friends. Save us some space!

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

There's till plenty of room Mike. I'm glad to see the numbers growing. There are a few ideas rolling around in my head that really depend on a fairly high head count to implement.

Spread the work folks.

At one time there was a feature on the site that showed the location of BPL members on a google map. As I remember you could enter a zip code or select area and it would have pins showing member locations. Maybe I'm imagining this. Does anyone out there remember or know if that feature is still around.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

That was quick. Thanks Andy.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I will pencil in the date. I should have a bunch of new products to demonstrate. Best regards – Jon

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools