Topic

GGG in Southern CA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips GGG in Southern CA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Outstanding Jon. I guarantee there will be a bunch of people there who would love to see your products in action. Can you do pizza yet?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I can make pizzas!

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Pizzas!!! Jon, your liable to totally change what and how I cook on the trail.

Brian Crain
    Spectator

@brcrain

Locale: So Cal

Mark me as tentative – already scheduled a trip that weekend but I might be able to wiggle out of it, at least for Saturday.

Jerry Bridgeman
    BPL Member

@jerry2636

Locale: Huntington Beach, Ca.

Sounds like fun.
    See you guys there.

Jerry

Ellen Conley
    BPL Member

@pearl

I'll be there. I think this is a great idea. Thanks Don :-)

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

I'm encouraged by the growing numbers of signups. This utube clip was was created by a member of a backpacking club I belong too. It's from a recent trip to Henninger Flats and will give everyone who hasn't been there a good overview of the hike up and the campground.

YouTube video

Mike Stromsoe

@phstudio

Locale: So. Cal.

Cool, I'm 10 minutes away from the Eaton Canyon parking lot. Count me in.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Don,
    Thanks for putting this together, if you need any help or ideas for the weekend please pm me.

Jon,
    I can't wait to meet you I have one of the first Focus Fire 14 stoves, I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I will.
    I'm really interested in seeing you bake, this is something that I've wanted to incorperate into my backpacking experience, so it will be good to finally meet you and check out the rest of your stoves.

To the rest of the crew some I know and some soon to know, I'll see you there!

If I counted right we have a head count of about 20 so far.

Jack

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

An SC GGG? Heck yeah. I'm in. Not sure if I can come on Friday, but for sure Sat – Sun (pending approval from she-who-must-be-obeyed). Probably bring my daughter (age 4).

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving
    Hikin' Jim's Blog

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Hey Jim,
    it'll be good to see you again, if anyone wants some Silnylon I have a lot of left over pieces from the traps that I make.
    These pieces are good for stuff sacks, and I have some bigger pieces as well, let me know if anyone is interested and I'll bring the 50 gallon trash bag that's full.

@Don
    , are we going to have a gear swap?

P.S. Forgot to mention the scrap pieces are free.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Gear swap is MANDATORY. lol

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

+1 on gear swap.

I'll be there and with a dog or 2.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I may bring my Border Collie/Mc Nabb mix along also, will see what the weather looks like when it's gets closer to the event.

The dog may distract me from trying to show the gear I'm bringing for Borahgear, would it even be appropriate to bring my dog if I'm representing Borahgear?

Thoughts anyone?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Jack, put a dog jacket on the dog. On the sides of the jacket, you print the Borah Gear name or logo. That way, the dog serves multiple uses.

–B.G.–

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Sometime this site drives me batty. I haven't received any emails regarding new postings in this thread. OK, enough complaining.

We're up to 24 including a tentative or two. Not counting the dogs. Jack and others this is a dog friendly gathering for friendly dogs. Common sense rules apply.

A gear swap/sale sounds great. You guys that were up at the big GGG–wasn't the gear swap done in the parking lot on Sunday? I'm not sure how we would handle it since there is no parking lot at the trail head, just street parking. Any ideas how to make it work would be appreciated.

All offers to help have been duly noted. I do appreciate it. I recruited some people before I first posted this just to CMA. As the event date approaches I may put out the call for additional assistance.

There is a small auditorium at Henninger in the Fire Dept. building. If anyone wants to bring a movie…no not one of those. Maybe backpacking related or….

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

If people are willing to hike in with their wares, we can have it at camp. Or maybe have the gear swap and the nearby Eaton Canyon parking lot after?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"There is a small auditorium at Henninger in the Fire Dept. building. If anyone wants to bring a movie…no not one of those. Maybe backpacking related or…."

Didn't get to use it at Ken's GGG, but I'd be happy to let you borrow my pico projector if it's actually going to get used, just pay shipping both ways. Someone would need an iPod Touch (with Lightning connector) or iPhone 5 with movies on it to connect to the projector and play a movie. I use a sheet of tyvek for the screen, I could send that too.

I find, though, that at GGGs, most people aren't that interested in a movie, they want to sit around a campfire and chat until late into the evening. FWIW.

Mike Stromsoe

@phstudio

Locale: So. Cal.

I think the parking situation for out of towners is going to have to be figured out. There is no weekend street parking by the Pinecrest gate (you will get a ticket here) and I have no idea if overnight parking is allowed in the Equestrian Staging Area, which is normally used for overflow parking for the Eaton Canyon Nature Center parking lot.

If possible, maybe we could get some kind of parking waiver/permit for the Equestrian area from the County.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

I'm thinking about some options for the parking. It depends on the numbers. There is plenty of overnight street parking in the areas surrounding the trail head/Pinecrest drive area. If the numbers reach a point where parking might become an issue I hope to have an alternative plan in place. The Eaton Canyon parking lot may be an option.

Regarding using the Eaton Canyon lot for a gear swap (a good idea Angus) does anyone know if they're still charging an entry fee on the weekend to park there?

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Thanks for your generous offer Doug. I need to confirm what equipment they have on hand. I know they have a DVD player but if someone has a movie on their iphone that's another story. I see what response we get about showing a movie.
    I agree that most people would prefer hanging around the campfire. The problem is that if the drought gets much worse in So. Cal. they'll be banning anything with a flame. We may just be looking at all the stoves rather than using them!

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

For those who haven't been before, I've created a marked-up topo map of Henninger Flats. The primary route, up the old Mt. Wilson Toll Road, is shown in green. Parking is prohibited on weekends right at the trailhead but is available one block west. Parking is also available from the Nature Center and the Equestrian Area. Alternate routes from the nature center are shown in gold and orange.

There are (at least) three separate camping areas up top. The largest is the lower area. It's pretty civilized with piped in water, picnic tables, and even flush toilets, but the flush toilets have been closed due to lack of water lately. Pit toilets are available.

The equestrian area might be a good spot for the Gear Swap. The Nature Center parking area gets pretty full on some weekends.

Just some thoughts,

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving
    Hikin' Jim's Blog

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm at a bit of a loss for overnight parking around there. I can certainly check street signage within the next few days. New York Drive may be OK for overnight. I know the area around Pinecrest is off limits on weekends. I'll likely ride my bike over there, likely all the way up to camp.

Do you need a permit to camp there? For a group this big? Reservation? Just curious…I've been through there a hundred times but never stayed overnight.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Craig,

I've done a couple of overnight trips out of that trailhead. I've parked on the streets west of Pinecrest without problems. However, it wouldn't hurt if you're over that way to confirm.

The "ranger" (a county fire employee) came around and wrote down our names when we camped up there one time, but we didn't have to get a permit in advance. For a group this size, it might be a good idea to plan ahead.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving
    Hikin' Jim's Blog

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hey Don, this being the first year for a GGG SoCal, you may not need it, but if you do or would like to have, I would be totally willing to duplicate the http://gggwest.com/ website that I threw together, for a SoCal GGG.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools