Topic

Your Avatar

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 209 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Tell us about the history of your avatar.

Mine is from my canoe trip around Killarney Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada. (North part of Georgian Bay)

It is a beaver dam lift over.

See "trip report for more pictures"

It is a 15' cedar strip "Osprey" solo canoe.

(there is a spectacular 100 km trail around it as well)

Doug

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Great story Doug- and a beautiful canoe!

Mine was taken with a timer during a solo trip in my favorite spot- the La Bohn Lakes on a shelf of Mount Hinman in the Washington Cascades. I just LOVE this spot.

This trip was a super-quick one (baby at home) but I had the time to go wandering and climbing above the trees and really soak it in. It's like Fairy Land up there.

EDIT- picture changed now- see later post. :-)

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

I am a professional photographer and my Avatar is a photo taken in 1993 between about 1:00 and 3:00 AM after Moonset. The image records 2 eruptions of Old Faithful Geyser and the stars as the earth rotated in 2 hours. The image was taken on a 4" X 5" Linhof Super Technika IV Camera and a Rodenstock f6.8 90mm Grandagon N MC lens on Ektachrome Plus 100 Professional transparency (slide) film. The aperture was about f8 and the exposure was underexposed by about 2 stops and push processed 1 stop. The image could not be taken at the proper f stop due to the lens speed. Additionally the star trails would have looked like they were taken in daylight due to the artificial lights that are around Old Faithful some of which run up into the trees.

Rich

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Sunset near Thompson Peak in Idaho's Sawtooth Mountains. We were trying to get to Sawtooth lake before it got too dark, and as we hustled up the trail to the lake, we turned around to look back at the peaks. Caught this view just as we passed the last minor lake before reaching Sawtooth Lake.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

There are some great images above and elsewhere within this site! It has inspired me to look out for a couple of good ones myself while I am out this season. Too often I capture a picture that does not work in a small format…and I only have candid shots of myself along with other people.

So…my current shot is of the end of a logging road fairly deep in the Trinity Alps. The chartered helicopter flight dropped us and our gear about 200 yards from the China Gulch trail head. Flying from Redding CA up and into the Alps is a 30 minute flight I will never forget! It saved us loads of driving time too! The avatar is mainly for my benefit…so I can remember the good times when I am hunkered down at a desk during the week.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

My current avatar was taken of me standing on the beach at Ruby Beach this past fall. Olympic National park. My husband took the shot of me, it was raining and we had gale winds. Great memory ;-)

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

Mine is a shot of me standing in front of Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Porcupine Mountains State Park
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula
    February 2007

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

It's me and my wife at this past year's 24 hours of rain, I mean Moab. I was racing the solo men's class.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Taken on a warm day in January 06 on a rock outcrop on the top of Sawnee Mountain, the hub of a local park. Used the timer on my trusty old Fuji Finepix A330. It's not really a spectacular shot, but here's the full EXIF data for the photo nerds, anyway :)

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Mine is from a trip I did on the Ozark Trail a week or two ago. I ended up getting rained out but got a couple of neat pictures beforehand. Its just an OT trail marker, nothing to too fancy.

Adam

Mark Mendell
    BPL Member

@mmendell

Locale: Midwest

Hey everyone. Learning lots.

Mine is from the summer of '06 in the Buffalo Peaks WA of Colorado.

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Locale: Northeast

It is with my sons on top of Mount Major in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. Below us is Lake Winnipesaukee.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

My current avatar is from the Durango Trailhead at the end of my Colorado Trail thru-hike in July 06.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

My avatar is from an overnight trip on the AT overlooking Connecticut.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

A shot of me and my wife (Betsy) along Mt Rainier's White River after completing a 14-day hike of the Wonderland Trail around the mountain in Aug 2006.

It was our first long hike (over 3 nights), our first attempt at UL, and the first time our whole family took a long hike together (including Michael age 22, Rachel age 20, and Brian age 17).

Luckily we did it last summer…the trail is a disaster after the monsoon this fall. Latest estimates are $100M damage.

See the forum on trail reports for many more pictures.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

A fine looking bunch of folks in this community! Mine was taken by my cousin in March 05 near the summit of mt Lafayette in NH where we testing the limits of a Hex 3 on the summit that night, crazy winds and temps with wind chill around -35 below zero.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Doug,

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wondering about many of these pictures for quite some time now.

– sam_h

Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

Capitol Peak reflecting in the still waters of Capitol Lake just below it on a 14er trip last summer. A truly spectacular peak. Best thing about this pic, I'm not in it! lol

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Self Portrait on Crestone Needle with Crestone Peak in the background. The next day on Crestone Peak the weather was so socked visibilty was no more than 10 feet. Mini hail and sleet was plinking off my helmet.

But this day on the Needle was beautiful. One of the most fun scrambles I have ever done besides Wetterhon, which was my first.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

What a fun thread! Thanks for starting it Doug.

That's me in a cave formed from an old keyhole pourover, Stevens Gulch in the Escalante National Monument, Utah, March 2006. Using a tripod (this was dusk) and an Optio WPi camera.

My hiking partner, an East Indian named Aroh, and I had walked down from our camp just up the gulch to fetch water, since the creek was dry above this spot. We camped underneath an arch at the canyon's edge, one of the coolest places I've ever spent the night in wilderness. Owls howling, lizards all over the place, cacti, poison oak, absolute raw bliss. Stephens is less than sanitized, I highly recommend it for canyon goers.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

New pic is our crew at the Boundary Waters in July 2007. We had a great time. It ain't backpacking but it is sure fun. On this trip we saw a wolf, had a beaver that visited our camp, encountered numerous bald eagles, and caught our weight in fish. Ahhh.

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

Mine is a Lake Michigan sunset I took last october, near the sleeping bear dunes.

My new one is me in Virginia on the AT.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Grenå Strand Denmark

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 209 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools