Topic

Campsite Activities for the GGG

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Campsite Activities for the GGG

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Tony those are some awesome ideas… Fantastic!

Doug, if you could bring your movie kit that would be Soooooo cool

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

I could do a lecture on photoshop for beginners or intermediates. Sorry this is probably the only thing I'm good at that might be useful here, lol.

A photography course would be great, but coupled with a photoshop course it could be an amazing turning point for any aspiring photographer.

Other than that, I'm sure I could teach people how not to catch fish, how to freeze your butt off at night, etc. haha

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

Locale: Northern California

I would love to learn more on how to set up tarps in various ways, different knots and tie down methods, ect. Anyone willing to take that on? I would be happy to assist but I have very little knowledge on the subject.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If movies are an option, how about "Jeremiah Johnson". Not UL, but a fun flick.

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

I like Eugene's idea! It always nice to learn from fellow backpackers.

Eli .

@feileung

How about a "24hr. Gear Swap"?

Its nice to see everyone's gear but it might also be cool to trade for a night for some actual experience. It'd probably be best to work this out in a thread in advance.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Anyone into troll hunting? I will lead the expedition.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Campsite set up/ break down races.

BC meal cook off (flavor and nutrition not speed)

I think the photo editing seminar sounds like a great idea.

Too bad I aint going – sounds like a Gay ol' time (you can all breathe a sigh of relief) :)

PS: That was a Flintstones ref- NOT a slur

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Ahaha, Jacob, I was just thinking that.

I second Troll hunting as either an activity or Movie Choice…Or both.

We could always play Piñata with the hammockers.

I also second tarp set-up demonstrations. Especially if anyone has mastered the ninja skill of poncho-tarp setup in the rain.

Safety Razor wood batoning contest?

Now, my actually original idea…Ultralight Film Festival?

I'm not sure how many people would go through the effort of making a film, (i certainly won't) But it could be funny if even a couple people put something together. I'm not talking about Scorsese-esque films, just like youtube quality stuff. Could be documentary about kit, technique or a trip. Could be comical funniest home video type junk… anything would be fun. Get us all laughing at each other/ourselves. Maybe SHORT slideshows of particularly impressive trips.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Backcountry food cook off. Who can make the tastiest one pot or freezer bag meal

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Brig back a Jotnar.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

We could show the footage from last year if E.J. would ever post it.

HINT.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Just wanted to put this out there….I am willing to contribute a few Costco size boxes of Duraflame logs.

If we do not have a support vehicle, I would be looking for volunteers to take in one log.

We did this last year and a bunch of people stepped up to take a log (or two in a few cases).

I think the logs are 4-5 lbs each, but they burn for 3-4 hrs.

Having these and the other ones that people brought was a life saver at night with temps dropping well into the 30's.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43671

I will also bring a pen and name tags, which might make it a lot easier for everyone to get to know each other.

Any other ideas of demos?

I would suggest:

Methods for lighting an alcohol stove without lighting yourself on fire like a meth addict

Methods of lighting an esbit tablet without melting your fingers off

Gravity filter demonstration. (Actually, I can do this one if people are interested).

-Tony

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

FWIW, anyone wanting to do a 'film festival' using my projector would need to email me (or dropbox or similar) the file in a format playable on the iPhone so I can load it ahead of time.

Tony, I'm happy to bring a log or two in.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

100 days from now! It goes fast. Be ready.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Ken, I was thinking more along the lines of Ringlefinch?

James, I would back you on the Pinata idea, I'm not too worried about Ken, but I wouldn't want to get on Kat's bad side ;)

Regarding movies, I'm down for Troll Hunter (obviously) but I have no idea how to get it onto an iPhone or whatever.

Why problem make when you no problem have you don't want to make?

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Beer tasting anyone? Bring in some bombers for everyone to pull from (into their cups, otherwise YUK!argaahaa).

or maybe a UL Gun Show? I've been wanting to see the 'hold down your shelter with lightweight handguns' demonstrated, could kill two birds with one stone here (or kill a whole bunch with all the firearms)?

I need some time away from the computer. Feb can't get here soon enough.

(I do think the beer garden is worthwhile though)

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

If we do the beer garden we'll have to rope them in with some Triptease. Could be a way to show that we can tie knots in the stuff too!

Eli .

@feileung

I can carry a couple of those logs too Tony.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Is wood collecting allowed in the area? If so we might be able to get by with just a few Duraflame logs to get things started (I'm assuming wood in the area will be damp but will burn with enough motivation)… that pile of logs at Coe was enormous, but it was darn cold.

I would rather carry beer than logs… last time I carried both and it was hardly UL :)

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Doug & Eli,

Thanks for volunteering to carry logs.

With any luck, if we can drive a support vehicle in, then no need for human donkeys to carry stuff in. :)

In the event we can not have a support vehicle, having the logs is nice.

If there is wood there to gather, then I am all for it, but even having a few Duraflame type logs is a nice and easy way to ensure we get a good fire going.

Jacob…..guess we need to designate people as log mules or keg mules to haul in stuff, right?

If you are into beer, you really need to talk to Cameron in detail as he is a brewer who makes top notch stuff. Some people have said that he should be selling his brew…

I like the Pinata idea, but maybe we need to fill it up with cliff bars, beef jerky, and other UL food stuff?

Could be a lot of fun, but if we use a LT4 Carbon Hiking pole as the club, it might take a long time to break and I am sure someone is going to get wacked in the head.

-Tony

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Tony, I am pretty sure no vehicles will be allowed on this one. Ken is scoping it out this weekend

Todd Hein
    BPL Member

@todd1960

Locale: Front Range

What about bringing items you'd like to sell or trade (not just for 24 hours)?

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

@Tony,
    Yes, a few logs was my thought there since the wood will likely be damp and need some motivation to reach bonfire status. I have not checked if wood collection is permitted. Ken or Ken probably posted this and so I need to re-read when time permits.

I did talk beer with Cameron for a bit at the Trinity meet up. I have yet to try his beer since I never make it on the first night of these things and good beer has a tendency to not hang around! I will contribute a couple of different stouts, and IPA or maybe a coconut porter to get the beer garden started.

As far as workshops or breakaway groups go, if there are lack of volunteers I can demonstrate a few knots that I know, or show how to hang a bag PCT style. I think everybody pretty much knows this stuff, but if I've been in the beer garden before hand it might have more entertainment value than anything else.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Jacob,

You would be surprised how much I don't know.

I actually only know one knot to make a loop.

The other knots, clove or hitch? No clue never learned them.

I have seen a video of the PCT method, but have never used it or even bear bagged.

I have always used a bear can or the UrSack.

As for demos:

I think that I can offer one to show the gravity filter that I use

Some methods of fire starting using a cotton ball, vasaline, aluminum foil for a fire bowl, and a fire steel.

How I to stuff everything/gear inside a bivy and provide extra insulation under you

-Tony

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools