Topic

enLIGHTened equipment is back with INSANE pricing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals enLIGHTened equipment is back with INSANE pricing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Stated temps are for base loft: 1.5 2.5 3.5 even the standard has 10% more loft than that. Consider the 30% OS at least 5* warmer. I offer 30% for cold sleepers or users who are NOT concerned with a little extra weight (blasphemer)

-Tim

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

I go off of western mountaineering's website for temp ratings when it comes to down. Looking at the loft of their bags and divide it in half because they are sleeping bags (when comparing to quilts):

3"/2 = 1.5" => 40F
    3.5"/2 = 1.75" => 35F
    4"/2 = 2" => 30F
    5"/2 = 2.5" => 20-25F
    6"/2 = 3" => 10-15F
    7"/2 = 3.5" => 0-5F
    8.5"/2 = 4.25" => -10F
    9"/2 = 4.5" => -25F
    10"/2 = 5" => -40F

Comparing a quilt to a bag is probably not apples to apples, so I'll be a bit conservative (which matches his temp ratings for standard) and here's my extrapolation:

1.65" (Standard) => 40F
    1.95" (30% overfill) => 35F

2.75" (Standard) => 20F
    3.25" (30% overfill) => 10-15F

3.85" (Standard) => 0F
    4.55" (30% overfill) => -10F (to maybe -20F)

Obviously at the colder end you will need a bivy and a down balaclava/hood.

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

Considering how loft, unless pretty compressed, isnt a very good measurement of warmth, I'd say that just by looking at the amount of down the 40 degree bag is underrated.

I can confirm it handled fine for me (w/ 30% overfill) on a 30-35 degree night (35 in the morning looking at the thermometer, water partially frozen and frost), though I was a warm sleeper in this case but I did have less insulation than I usually would wear in near freezing for pajamas.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Just FYI – For shipping inside the US there is no need to discriminate between the "lower 48" and Alaska and Hawawii. The US Postal Service goes by weight and distance for regular shipping and the distance between the east & west coast is greater than the between the west coast and AK or HI, whihc means shipping between VA & CA is more expensive than between CA & AK or HI. Further, your quilts should fit in either the medium or large priority mail "If It Fits it Ships" boxes, which have a flat rate of $10.99 and $14.99, respectively.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Tim,

do you know when the prodigy quilts will be available? and will the price still be the same? I am interested in a 48 degree, short, slim.

Thanks!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Just sent you an email on that.

I have hired a new guy to build all synthetics. He is almost ready so I am going to run a preorder to allow me to order all the insulation and misc stuff I need to get these back up. Costs will change as my insulation source has changed and the options I can get have changed. I will be working on it over the weekend

-Tim

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

My wife and I got our quilts last week, and they look great. I have never used a quilt, so we went with Long/Wide versions, just to give a little extra room. I'm 5'11", 165#, and personally, I'm glad for the larger quilt, but I toss and turn in my sleep. She's 5'5", 135# and I expect her to double up the foot end of the quilt to help keep her feet warm — the double down at the feet should address her biggest point of complaint.

What surprised me was how close to a sleeping bag these quilts can be — with the zipped footbox and the snaps and elastic, you can tuck this almost as tight as a bag if you want to (at least with the wider version). You still couldn't use it without a pad, but I love the versatility.

We're also going to try these as over/underquilts for hammocking.

Great job Tim. Thanks again for the excellent product. We'll post more once we get to field test.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

The large flat rate box is smaller than what I ship in. I can try them but I have chosen the 12x12x8 priority box to allow quilts to not be fully compressed, except the 0's they get compressed just to fit.

-Tim

matt dapkus

@mattd

Locale: SE

Anyone having trouble ordering through Paypal?

Justin Tadych

@oshburg

Locale: Midwest

I just ordered a zero degree on Sunday. Paypal worked fine for me.

matt dapkus

@mattd

Locale: SE

Hmm. Trying to work it out with Tim. He has been extremely responsive with this matter.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

just added a 30* option to the lineup

-Tim

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Tim, it looks like the spec charts list the weight being the same between the momentum models and the 1.1oz ripstop models. Is that correct?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Yeah momentum weighs basically 1.1 (1.05) so the weights are a wash. The M90 is much nicer against the skin and much more wind/water resistant which is why we don't just use 1.1

-Tim

David Ure

@familyguy

BOOYAH – just got my shipping notification. I must say, way before I expected to get it.

Thanks Tim!!!!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

That's what we're going for.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

If I were you I'd contract out to a web designer or programmer to fix your website up a bit. When switching a quilt ordering option from 6' to 6'6" for example, I want to see the weight of the option I just selected. It shouldn't be super involved, but it is something that I think ought to be there.

I'm not interested in a new quilt, just browsing your site. Good to hear you're getting up and running =)

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

The weights are all listed in the tables at the bottom of each product page.

We are working on an update but I haven't got my hands on it yet. Tomorrow!

-Tim

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Thanks Tim,

Just got the monster quilt you made for me. It will be a perfect addition to my winter sleep system and by itself a good shoulder season quilt. Thanks for all of the quick responses to my e-mails and the fast delivery time. I didn't expect it for a while yet.

Dave

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

We're working hard to bring the times down. Sometimes we get there :)

-Tim

Dave Lame
    BPL Member

@dmjjpy

I found out that quilts are not my thing. I have a green wide Revelation X 6'6" 0degree for sale.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Bummer

Dave Lame
    BPL Member

@dmjjpy

Tim, I am bummed. You make a very good product.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

What is the reason you don't like quilts? I'm curious.

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Tim, quilt owners,
    Any feedback on temp ratings for the quilts or do you go by loft/amount of down? I really want to save a tad more weight this summer, but would need to move here pretty soon for use in the Sierra where I live. I'm only looking for the 30 degree quilt, no overfill, if it is truely good to 30. I would love to get it overfilled, but I'm looking to shave a few ozs. from my WM 24 oz bag which is why no overfill. It would be sweet to get a quilt, good down to the 20's but gotta go with losing weight. I can always pull my jacket/vest on if it gets colder. Thank you.
    Duane

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools