Topic

Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The size and shape of the bowl are nice. Seems like the handle would just get in the way, though.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

horn mug

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I don't get it…it's just an over priced single use, Stone Aged Yuppie European Sierra Cup? Big deal."

I am an over-aged, single minded, stone-aged yuppie american backpacker. It fits me perfectly……

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No need to show us the Ugly American. If you don't like it don't buy it. Capitalism at work.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I agree…If you don't like it, don't buy it…seems simple to me.

I also have the plate, the bowl and the utensil set. Of course though the 21 (cup) is the only one that I carry backpacking. The rest though is nice to have for car camping.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

another addition to the ….. ahem….. "wonderful" BPL gear shop. Here's a plastic cup with a few pine fibers that are no doubt scrap from another manufacturing process that mills down forests and sold as a finnish cup that is probably made in some sweat shop in a 3rd world country by kids younger than yours. Jump in line and order one now!

seriously?

If i wanted a dedicated cup for drinking coffee, water, whatever, i'd buy a cool one from craig that would be made with love.

Antti Peltola
    Spectator

@anttipeltola

"Seems like the handle would just get in the way, though."

It's actually one of the reasons I carry traditional kuksa. The handle is very nice when you scoop water with the cup, you do not get your mittens wet and you can reach to the water easier if it's difficult place.

Of course this make much more sense when you can drink the water directly from stream, without filtering.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Made in Finland I believe, from recyclable 50/50 wood plastic composite. Sure they are a bit trendy at the moment, but so what. They seem to me a bit like kilts, some people think they are just plain silly, and some people love them.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Arrived in the mail today.

Really like it. The kupilka is kup-kooool!!!

kup1

Ahhhh, smell the flowers and the koffee in the kupilka – krazy yes but there is a koolness. Finland rules!!!

kup2

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

"No need to show us the Ugly American. If you don't like it don't buy it. Capitalism at work."

Hey guys, look around…you're in FORUMS! It's about discussing things. I started this post because I didn't (still don't) get why this cup should be on BPL. I don't see people calling Ryan Jordan an ugly American because he doesn't get why people would want to carry aroud a 6 lb pack (even if it's a thing of beauty) with 60 lbs of stuff in it. Have you read Lightweight Backpacking 101? Let's leave the ugly comments at the door.

Tom

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I started this post because I didn't (still don't) get why this cup should be on BPL."

I'll take a stab at a direct answer. While I don't know why BPL does the things they do, I would assume they thought that some of their members would be interested in such a cup (they're right) and moved to meet a perceived desire. While, perhaps, making a bit of money in the process.

Makes perfect business sense to me.

Whether it fits with your concept of UL backpacking is a different question altogether, but that's not the one you asked.

And, FWIW, no one was calling you an ugly american. That was a reply to perceived Euro bashing – it had nothing to do with whether or not the cup belonged on BPL.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Doug. My comment was indeed a response to the disrespectful comments about our Finnish neighbors.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

I didn't take "over priced European Sierra cup" as Euro-bashing. I think everything in there is a statement of fact… It's a cup from somewhere in Europe that is very similar in design to a Sierra cup (or vice versa) and it is most certainly "overpriced" compared to items with similar function.

I certainly don't think the "ugly American" comment was warranted. We can't offer critique on anything from Europe? Doing so makes us "ugly Americans"? Is that elitist attitude representative of Europeans?

For those that carry it just because they like it and recognize it as a luxury item, thank you for being honest and realistic. If you like it, fine. No skin off my nose. I don't carry your kit. For those that try to justify it in some other way and get your shorts in a wad when called on it… If you can't handle having the gear or reasoning critiqued, then maybe posting in a forum dedicated to doing so is a little silly on your part.

If anybody is curious, backpackinghipster.com and backpackingtrendy.com are both still available.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Sigh. I'm done on this one.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"And yes, I buy pointless stuff, too, just because I think it's cool. And I would hope y'all would call me on it."

Really? Why? Someone buys something they like, they get enjoyment out of it, they actually use it (so far from pointless and a waste of money), and you feel the need to 'call them on it." Why? Honestly, it seems kind of a **** thing to do, not a helpful thing. I guess I don't get it.

Scott Pulver
    Spectator

@scottp77

>>>I'll take a stab at a direct answer. While I don't know why BPL does the things they do, I would assume they thought that some of their members would be interested in such a cup (they're right) and moved to meet a perceived desire. While, perhaps, making a bit of money in the process.

Makes perfect business sense to me.<<<

Maybe BPL should also start selling automobiles.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

>> "And yes, I buy pointless stuff, too, just because I think it's cool. And I would hope y'all would call me on it."

> Really? Why? Someone buys something they like, they get enjoyment out of it, they actually use it (so far from pointless and a waste of money), and you feel the need to 'call them on it." Why? Honestly, it seems kind of a **** thing to do, not a helpful thing. I guess I don't get it.

Ok, I guess I could have articulated that more clearly..

"I buy pointless stuff": I am trying to learn and adopt the UL techniques espoused here, but I sometimes buy (or consider buying) gear simply because I think I will enjoy it or it is cool, even if it runs counter to the UL mentality. Similarly, I have some gear already that could easily be replaced (or left home altogether) simply because I enjoy it or I think it's cool.

"I would hope y'all would call me on it": When I discuss that gear hear, folks often point out that it doesn't make sense from a UL standpoint, that there's something better/lighter/cheaper/multi-use. I appreciate that and hope it continues. Sometimes I take the suggestions and steer toward or away from certain gear. These forums (including advice from both you and Ken) have saved me a lot of money and frustration with trial & error. Then again, sometimes I ignore the suggestions and opinions just because I enjoy something, but I appreciate the discussion nonetheless. You shouldn't carry anything you can't defend, but sometimes "just because I want to" is a valid defense.

I don't think suggesting something is a poor choice is a ****-move. I certainly wasn't trying to be a ****. I guess it's all in the lack of tone.

Ken

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"I don't get it…it's just an over priced single use, Stone Aged Yuppie European Sierra Cup? Big deal."

—M

Says the guy hiking in a kilt and sporran in his avatar.

"Here's a plastic cup with a few pine fibers that are no doubt scrap from another manufacturing process that mills down forests and sold as a finnish cup that is probably made in some sweat shop in a 3rd world country by kids younger than yours. Jump in line and order one now!

seriously?

If i wanted a dedicated cup for drinking coffee, water, whatever, i'd buy a cool one from craig that would be made with love."

Says the guy with a mass produced, MADE IN CHINA luxury candle lantern that can be purchased at Walmart glowing in his avatar.

Come on.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Drinking vessel…lol.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

eugene,

LOL – that's 8 oz of funny so my kupilka runneth over : )

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

""I don't get it…it's just an over priced single use, Stone Aged Yuppie European Sierra Cup? Big deal."

—M

Says the guy hiking in a kilt and sporran in his avatar."

Says the guy with the …uhh..creepy flying devil head thingie over a desert and cactus…. in HIS avatar.

Yeah, but my 10 oz. nylon hiking kilt is very functional(even has cargo pockets), keeps me cool in summer and warm in winter, and my Tim Marshall Dyneema sporran only weighs 1 ounce…besides, the tassles on my sporran are actually 30 feet of emergency paracord. How many uses can we think of for this trendy European Sierra Cup?

M

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

"Thanks Doug. My comment was indeed a response to the disrespectful comments about our Finnish neighbors."–Ken Thompson

Ken,
    No disrespect meant at all. It's where the cup comes from…Europe. I buy lots of good things from Europe. I happen to own more than my share of Mora knives and love them, i just don't get the big deal about this trendy "Yuppie European" cup and why it's on BPL.

M

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Are these unbreakable ? How modern is the performance ? Can I use the handle to self arrest ? Does it float ?

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

hey eugene,

TOU-CHE!

as it turns out they actually are made in finland. I stand corrected.

do you know who took that photo? i think it may have been someone basking in the glow on a snowy evening. hmm….

but seriously, $25+ for a plastic cup? really? i found a plastic cup in my yard today while mowing. for free….
    if my wife wanted a $25 mug for drinking coffee or tea at home i'd think that was crazy. my handmade ceramic mug that i use almost everyday (not only on bping trips) cost like $10.

Come on.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools