Topic

Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I believe the Finnish kuksa has a bit longer a history than the Sierra cup.

Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees

Why bother to carry a Kupilka cup at all? It isn't UL. It isn't cheap. It's single use. It's a luxury item. And probably it's a fad. But… What about other items in our gear lists? Is a sinthetic quilt UL and necessary for a simple overnight? Aren't tarps / poncho-tarps / mids another fad?

For sure, I don't carry it in all my trips, but I'm very happy carrying it on others:

Kupilka Love

Cheers.

Disclosure: The manufacturer provided this product to the me at no charge. However, I have no obligation to advertise it on BPL.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Aren't tarps / poncho-tarps / mids another fad?"

Absolutely not. Unless you mean a fad that lasts more than 50 years.

Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees

"Absolutely not. Unless you mean a fad that lasts more than 50 years."

I mean in the context of BPL, not in general. A few years ago tarps were cool. Then came poncho tarps. And now, mids are all the rage ;-)

Cheers.

Scott Pulver
    Spectator

@scottp77

>>>Why bother to carry a Kupilka cup at all? It isn't UL. It isn't cheap. It's single use. It's a luxury item. And probably it's a fad. But… What about other items in our gear lists? Is a sinthetic quilt UL and necessary for a simple overnight? Aren't tarps / poncho-tarps / mids another fad?<<<

I wouldn't call them fads.

Synthetic quilts, tarps, poncho tarps, and mids are examples of shelter and insulation, something most look at as a necessity.

The Kupilka is just an overpriced plastic cup, backed by a lot of marketing…..In my opinion.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Did Jon Dorn start editing BPL now. Is that plastic/wood cup recyclable? Is it microwave and dishwasher safe? Will it help lighten my load? Will it make mt trip safer? Is it multiuse? Could I dig a cat hole with it? Will It match my snowpeak chopsticks? Is it the lightest possible option that can still get the job done for where and when I am going? And since they started advertising the Kupilka has anyone checked in on Mike Clelland to see if they got him to quit clutching his scull and screaming NIX NIX NIX ? How many of these do you think will be PIFed? and how soon so I can get a set of four(to go with my chopsticks) when I want to invite people along. Could we get them engraved and numbered. Please keep me posted guys and let me know how they work for UL backpacking

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Not wanting to redirect the thread but has anyone got a line on a nice woven placemat to go with the kupilka and do they come in sets of four.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Please keep me posted guys and let me know how they work for UL backpacking"

The handle is actually quite useful for loosening up the oh-so-tight, gram-weenie sphincter muscle so prevalant around here.

See, it is dual use!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"How many uses can we think of for this trendy European Sierra Cup?"

Well, it's got a hole in the handle, so you could hang it from the front of your kilt if you ever lost your sporran……

David Ure

@familyguy

Definitely a hip trowel.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Thanks for the input Doug but I dont need that feature as I am not anywhere near UL My base weight is even unknown right now but I hope to get my packweight under 30lbs this year for a 7-8 day trip. I might suggest that If you need that feature and Your kupilka is full at the moment as it takes a long time to consumn that 7.1 oz capacity that maybe a trekking pole handle could be used. Sorry if I offended you guess I saw a lot of humor in the posts and I was in a mood to poke a little fun. Hope nobody takes as much offence to this as you have :^)

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

+1 David lets keep the multiuse ideas comeing

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Doug – I like your lost sporran idea. Do they make a one liter size?

Definitely a hip trowel.

Aquamira drops mixer?

Maybe a dice roller for all those SUL dice-packing Yahtzee fans?

Perhaps its plastic and wood content would help it burn well while producing lots of black smoke, for a signal fire.

A pee vessel: just chuck the offending liquid with only an arm out of the tent?

If it was Titanium we could boil water in it…just like a cook pot.

Of course, HYOK. :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Gosh Mark, I don't know you well enough to take offense at anything you'd write/say, but I really do like your ingenuity! Kupilka full of liquid + trekking pole = field expedient enema! Brilliant! Can't believe I didn't think of that one myself. Good on ya for adding yet another in the growing list of uses for this wonderful piece of kit!

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

No I think you did think of that one Doug And I think Id like to end this conversation.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Perhaps I did think of it! But you were my muse….

"And I think Id like to end this conversation."

You don't get to make that choice for me, only for yourself.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

So it looks like there is a fairly even split, with strong opinions on each side. I do wonder if this type of item will start to become a trend on BPL, which makes me think of the transition REI and GoLite went through. I personally hope that BPL keeps a tighter focus on the lightweight/functional items that are often out of stock, but Ryan and BPL will finally make tht choice.

In the end, it looks like a nice cup, but it's not my choice from a functional, weight, volume, or cost (that in particular) point of view for backpacking. For sitting around the house drinking…maybe.

Tom

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Just spotted a Kupilka vendor sporting a new prototype GALLON sized cup:

gourd

It's supposed to be reviewed in next months Backpacker Magazine, too!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Look Mom, no hands!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Introducing the Kupilka Codpiece! Now THAT'S multiuse.

David Ure

@familyguy

Matt – that looks more like a multi use Caldera Cone…..

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'll carry a pEnis gourd and spear over a kilt and sporran any day.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

"I'll carry a pEnis gourd and spear over a kilt and sporran any day."

Craig,
    I'm with you all the way on that, but my doctor says i have to wear the kilt until the swelling goes down. It's been several years…i think she's just milking it:)

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

"I believe the Finnish kuksa has a bit longer a history than the Sierra cup." –Sam Haraldson

So the point of that statement is….?
    How about BPL starts selling authentic wooden chopstix next? They have a much longer "history" than the plastic sporks currently being offered for sale in the gear shop. Just because something has a "history" does not make it better. Just come out and say you could make a grip of money on it, it's trendy and you knew people would buy it just because it's on BPL. No big deal.

M

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

If we are going to get serious about European drinking vessels these Lithuanian Klumpes are much more useful than that Kupilka. Much better for stream crossings too!Klumpes

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools