Topic

How many BPL’ers wear KILTS?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How many BPL’ers wear KILTS?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

A recent thread on "monkey butt" treatment got me wondering how many kilted hikers are on BPL. If you wear a kilt hiking, what kind (traditional/modern), what fabric, store bought/home made DIY, weights,sporan/no sporan, etc. Pics and tips?

M

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

I don't have a kilt, and don't think I've ever had monkey butt. But the recent kilt thread and several over the last year on HF have got me looking at options. I'd have to say I'm leaning more toward modern designs, with my current leading contender from ultilikilts. But 1) the fabric seems quite heavy and 2) wow! $200-300? With exception of the suit I bought when I got married, I don't have a single item of clothing (including jackets) that cost that much! And that is probably more than the cost of all the regular pants/shorts I currently own. Ow…

I'll look forward to seeing what others have tried.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

I myself own one Utilikilt, and two Stillwater Thrifty kilts. The Utilikilt is way heavy and does not dry quickly (poly/cotton). The Stillwaters are light, cheap and i like the traditional look and feel. I tried the newest version of the Mountain Hardwear ElKommando kilt, but it did not fit well, even in xxl size. I ended up flashing everyone and my wife said it just looked like a skirt (even with pleats in the back). My next kilt will be a Sportkilt "Hiker" or "Ultimate" kilt. I am also looking to make a hiking sporan out of Dyneema Gridstop fabric.

Stillwater Thrifty kilts (GREAT value):
    http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Stillwater-Kilts/Items/swk-tk-bw?&caSKU=swk-tk-bw&caTitle=Black%20Watch%20Tartan%20Thrifty-Kilt

Sportkilt "Hiker":
    http://www.sportkilt.com/category/52/Hiking-Kilt.html

Sportkilt "Ultimate":
    http://www.sportkilt.com/category/32/Ultimate-Kilt.html

My son in his Stillwater Thrifty kiltkilt

Me in my Utilikiltkilt

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Matt, thanks for the links. Have seen the SportsKilts. Not a fan of tartans as it seems akin to wearing a national flag of a country to which I do not belong… Just my own quirk.

Regarding Ultilikilts vs. your others, do you find much difference in comfort/coverage while sitting when comparing the narrow apron of the UK and the more traditional wide apron of the others?

And have you heard of Alpha Kilts? The Compass model looks nice. I am a bit hesitant as there seems to have been some bad blood regarding this maker on one of the kilt forums. Don't know details.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Ok, I admit, I'm curious about the kilt. Does it really help with chaffing? If bare legs rub together, might it be worse in the upper thigh area? (Speculation) And what about insects, both ticks and flying/biting bugs?

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Brian,
    "Matt, thanks for the links. Have seen the SportsKilts. Not a fan of tartans as it seems akin to wearing a national flag of a country to which I do not belong… Just my own quirk."

They have a bunch of generic tartans anyone can wear. The Black Watch, for example.

"Regarding Ultilikilts vs. your others, do you find much difference in comfort/coverage while sitting when comparing the narrow apron of the UK and the more traditional wide apron of the others?"

The heavy apron of the Utilikilt is nice. You sit and it automatically drapes between the legs. That said, i much prefer the traditional kilts for pure comfort. They are lighter than the Utilikilts and are more comfy on a long hike. On the flip side, girls see the Utilikilt and think "SPARTACUS!".

"And have you heard of Alpha Kilts? The Compass model looks nice. I am a bit hesitant as there seems to have been some bad blood regarding this maker on one of the kilt forums. Don't know details."

I have seen them and was not impressed by the fabric they used. Poly/cotton, i believe.

Evan,
    "Ok, I admit, I'm curious about the kilt. Does it really help with chaffing? If bare legs rub together, might it be worse in the upper thigh area? (Speculation) And what about insects, both ticks and flying/biting bugs?"

Wearing a kilt is not any worse than wearing a pair of shorts where bugs are concerned. I have never had a problem, even when hiking during a spring hatch here in Oregon. Since i started using Band Aid brand blister sticks, chaffing has not been a problem. The air circulation helps, also.

—-M

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

I was at the Sonora (California) Celtic Festival last weekend. There were a couple of vendors that had some newer material models, some "quick dry" type.

Jim Morrison
    Spectator

@pliny

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Me with my "Kilt" last week I'm in the front and I don't know if you can tell, but I'm wearing my "Kilt". It happens to be a plastic garbage bag that I cut the top out of. We were in blowing snow and rain. I was waring long gaiters and a rain jacket so the "Kilt" worked perfectly to keep my pants dry. Plenty of ventilation and I didn't need to stop to put on rain pants; always awkward in a blizzard wearing snowshoes!

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

No pleats…not a REAL kilt. Sorry.

—M

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

something about dudes wearing skirts just seems fundamentally wrong to me…

Perhaps this is because I've never had comfort issues just wearing a pair of shorts

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A kilt is not a skirt. Just trying to save you from getting your Arse kicked by some dude wearing one. A man in a kilt is a man and a half. You must be confident with your sexuality to wear one.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

I agree 100%, Ken, but we should be more understanding of the…"trouser challenged". Down with pants, up with kilts!

M

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Don't quite have this figured out… just looked at the Compass Kilt on the Alpha Kilt site (which does look darned nice, but very pricey) and couldn't help but notice that most recent customers buying kilts also ordered Body Glide. WWT?

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Matt,
    I elected to try a MH Elkommando for a variety of reasons, perhaps not all sound. Perhaps it will fit me better than it did you.

Price was right (free with dividend dollars). No questions return policy. Lighter weight. Supposedly quick drying fabric. Cargo pockets for the few small items I always seem to carry. Muted non-tartan color. Pretty good reviews from most wearers (though the traditionalist may argue…).

We'll see when it comes. Perhaps I'll be sufficiently manly to rock the kilt. Or perhaps not. Little to be lost on this venture other than return shipping.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

First of all, guys in kilts are hot.

Second, I'm a woman and I asked for and got an ElKommando kilt for my birthday. Being female, it doesn't quite fit right. Too big in waist in order to be big enough in hips. Unfortunately, I don't look hot. I just look like I'm wearing a skirt.

The kilt is surprisingly heavy. Heavier than a pair of pants by a long shot.

It comes with a snap that's supposed to provide modesty but all it does is make the kilt bunch up when I walk. But then I'm a woman and not shaped right for it.

I find the fabric sticks to tights and gets all bunched up. Since the kilt is a little too big in the waist, I'm thinking about modifying it. Perhaps cutting a dart to make the waist more narrow and maybe sewing the front panels together so there's not so much bunching when I walk.

I have a Patagonia ladies skirt I bought from a thrift store. It was too narrow for hiking so I cut it up the back seam and inserted a triangle of fabric so that it would be wider at the bottom. It's actually a little better than the El Kommando in my opinion–lighter, smaller but more pockets, looks better on me–but the ElKommando has a sort of cool factor to it.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Piper,
    I don't condone women wearing kilts, but if you have to have one, try this:
    http://www.sportkilt.com/category/61/Sport-Kilt.html

Since it's made for the woman's body, it should fit much better than the MHW ElKommando kilt.

And my personal favorite, the ULTRA MINI KILT:
    http://www.sportkilt.com/category/7051/Ultra-Mini-Kilt.html

Women seem to allays dress like men, anyway….. :)

Now if i can just get you to try a hammock.

M

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

Seems that if one is so confident in ones self and sexuality, one wouldn't go around kicking peoples butts after getting upset that they called his skirt a skirt, no?

The first three dictionary entries defining kilt all contain the word skirt :)

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

"…The first three dictionary entries defining kilt all contain the word skirt :)"

Would you say that to Samuel L. Jackson's face?kilt

I thought not, Mot#er F^%k@R!!!!
    You're just jealous.
    :)

-M

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…..

And only men with good legs (by that – muscular!) should be in kilts. If your knees are bigger than your thighs, stay in pants. :-D

Love seeing guys in kilts, especially on the trail. See lots of them out here in the PNW!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

And how many skirts are made traditionally with 8 yards of fabric? You can wear it. Use it for camouflage. Use as a sleeping quilt too.
    Original hiking multi-tasker.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"Jealous?"

Meh.

It's a skirt, nothing wrong with that. They're niche, overpriced, heavy, multi-pleated, tailored skirts for men, nothing more nothing less. I completely understand how they're comfortable, and in some circumstances practical, but shorts work just fine on the trail with no chafe issues. For me, kilts aren't the right tool for the job.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Yeah, I don't get them either.

If you think they look cool, more power to you, I don't judge anyone there.
    But for what they do, they're heavy and have a whole lot of extra fabric flapping around.

I'd be far more impressed with someone rocking a loin cloth or pEnis gourd.

I'll stick with small/light running shorts and my gourd for special occasions.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

See. Now this is why I love BPL (other than the great practical information). Lively and entertaining conversation. Call it what you will, kilt, skirt, man dress. Makes no difference to me if it's comfortable and gets the job done. Not sure why it's "fundamentally wrong", but to each their own. Now running down the trail wearing a gourd on your member might be a little wrong. At least from a purely visual aesthetic sense.

What does it say about a guys If he's wearing a patagonia "micro puff" jacket? And a skirt…er kilt?
    Somebody find Doug I. He'll know the answer.

:)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

C'mon now, everyone knows that men just look silly in a …..

.pic1

Uhhh, you know, silly in …..

.pic2

silly wearing a ki……..

.pic3

Oh never mind….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools