Topic

Managing wet feet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Managing wet feet

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

What are your favorite techniques for dealing with wet feet when wearing non-waterproof trail shoes? I am doing a significant section of the Colorado Trail in a couple weeks, and I am bound to encounter frequent thunderstorms. On previous trips (up to 4 days in length), I was lucky enough to avoid constant rain.

Should I invest in a pair of Rocky Gore-Tex socks to wear over my regular socks, or in lieu of, in the event of a torrential downpour?

My current footwear selection is a pair of breathable trail shoes made by Keen and Smartwool Adrenaline crew socks.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

hydropel. Haven't had the opportunity to use it yet myself but I always read good things.

Make sure you wring out your socks after the rain stops.

Ross Ulibarri
    BPL Member

@ulibarri

Locale: Southern Rockies

I hike in the Southern San Juans alot. I wear non waterproof shoes and just let my feet get wet. After I set up camp, I change into dry socks and then put on some old gortex socks I have. I loosen the laces on my shoes so I can easily slip in and out of them. Hanging around camp, I sit around in my socks. But when I need to walk around I slip my wet shoes on. The gortex socks keep the wind off my feet while I'm sitting around and keep my socks dry when I need to put my shoes on. I find the extra three or so ounces for my Gortex socks is worth having warm dry feet evenings and mornings.

Ross

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I would agree. Just let your feet get wet. I try to always keep a pair of dry socks just for use around camp while wearing Waldies or Crocs as a camp shoe. Gold Bond Powder comes in small containers. Use that to help dry your feet in camp. Powder in wet socks and shoes might lump up while hiking, so powder up only after hiking. Wet feet can lead to blisters fast, so even as you hike, when you stop for a break, get barefoot, dry your feet, wring out wet socks, add hydropel again. Do not sleep with wet feet if you can avoid it. When it comes to feet, think TLC. Remove footbeds from footwear at the end of every day. Air them out mid-hike in the sun during a break.
    Gortex low cuts are nice for keeping your feet dry through wet grass in the morning or a puddle or two, but hike all day in the rain, your feet will get wet, and wet gortex footwear take longer to dry than regular mesh outers. I think the same would be true for gortex socks. At least that is my humble non-scientific opinion..If gortex keeps water out, it will keep it in, too. If you can get your barefoot dry, gortex socks around camp will keep the wet from your footwear off your feet, until your feet start to overheat and sweat.
    So, if you carry a dry camp shoe, use regular dry socks in those. If you have only the footwear you hike in and they are soaked, the gortex socks would be nice after your hike.
    In other words, wear gortex socks as your "dry socks" in wet shoes, but only after you are done hiking for the day. If you have dry socks and dry shoes to wear after hiking, gortex socks are not necessary.
    I have worn waterproof socks in the rain. They kept my feet warm, but not dry. I did not fel the cold of puddles eaither which was nice. Waterproof socks take for ever to dry, and they smell bad when wet. I would never wear them in the summer. I have not worn gortex socks.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I find bread bags, Subway bags or doggy p00p bags are cheaper, lighter, and just as effective for wearing with dry socks in wet shoes. Tuck the tops into the top of your socks and Voila! They also double as a VBL in bed if it gets really cold.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

It's okay to have wet feet.

Colorado in summer? Your feet'll be fine. If it rains – Just let your feet get wet, and don't worry about it.

Just walk acroos streams, dont waist time taking socks off and putting them back on.

Hydropel helps if you put it on in the morning.

Keep a pair of dry socks to sleep with, put your soggy ones back on in the AM.

If you are hanging out in camp, a simple plastic bag helps a little, it's not perfect, but it really does help with comfort.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

The more I hike on the Long Trail this summer, the more I'm getting used to sodden feet. That hasn't led to any blisters whatsoever, which I think is because I've got a pair of shoes that fit perfectly. I definitely need to try the hydropel, though, since my feet tend to be pretty gross when I take off my socks at the end of the day.

Part of me thinks that just hiking with wet feet more often will make me used to it, and then it will bother me less. It seems that way so far, but I think for long trips (more than four days) I might have to change my strategy a little.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

So it appears that most of you are not digging the Rocky Gore-tex socks? Are SealSkinz any better?

On another note, has anyone tried making some UL covers to go over the tops of your shoes so they stay dry when it is raining? I realize this might not be a perfect solution, but I was thinking that perhaps some shoe "mitts" might help stave off a foot-soaking. Maybe something like they wear in hospitals over their shoes.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

I used to try to keep my feet dry. Since I stopped caring and just letting them get wet everything is so much easier, faster and lighter. If you're blister prone, as am I, try injinni socks and a real light liner sock worn outside your injinni.
    So liberating.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

You don't need sealskinz. A short gaiter will help to keep debris out of your shoes and socks, but won't keep your feet dry. Just accept wet feet. It does little harm other than psychological to have wet feet. As others have said, just make sure you keep some dry socks to wear at the end of the day.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

I think stems from the military. You're taught that your feet are your primary vehicle and not to let them get wet because you'll develop trench foot. Keep your feet dry, and I'm sure after a week in the jungle with soggy socks this is probably true.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

I just read Ryan Jordan's article on using hydropel, leukotape, and tincture of benzoin to manage blisters and wet feet.

When using hydropel, do you put it on BEFORE your feet get wet or after? If you wait until after, is it too late?

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I've used Hydropel for quite a long time. I begin using it the night before an extended hike, then re-apply every morning after that. I use a light coating except for an area that seems like it is prone to be trouble. One tube used like this lasts me about six weeks.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

So you get wet feet? So What?
    6083S
    Look, your foot has two parts. There's a very thin layer of DEAD cells on the surface which may or may not be dry. They are there to protect the rest of your foot – the insides. Guess what? The insides of your foot are WET! Soaking wet!

The MYTH of dry feet is just that: a total MYTH! You will not die if the outer layer of dead cells gets wet. It won't hurt you at all. many of us take no notice of water at all, and (given adequate socks and the right size shoes) we manage perfectly fine.

In fact, in summer we often walk into a creek just to cool our feet down a bit. Very nice it can be too.

Yes, I know there is a whole parasitic industry out there dedicated to keeping your feet dry – at your cost. You just don't need them.

Cheers

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Wet feet might not kill you, but they still feel darn uncomfortable to me, and no one tell me they enjoy putting dry feet into wet socks and wet shoes on a chilly morning. Of course, if it's raining, I hate wearing wet clothes so I pack everything into the compactor bag in my pack and just wear my waterproof breathable skin.
    Overheard: "The only people who worry about getting wet are people who are dry."

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

Just let your feet get wet.

I wear breathable trail runners and wool socks, let my feet get soaked all day, and put on dry socks once I'm in my shelter for the evening. This works just fine for 45F day temps and up, especially in places where things actually dry (like the Rockies).

In terms of foot comfort, most summer climates in the lower 48 are luxurious in comparison to Alaska. Here, I add neoprene socks to my kit because 1) I'm very regularly crossing/walking in very cold rivers and creeks 2) it can rain for days on end with no chance to dry out my shoes 3) it can be quite cold and 4) there's always a chance of snow (I was hiking in a two-day snow storm that accumulated 3-6" just last week), all of which can lead to days and days of painfully cold feet. Even with those challenges, my feet are usually perfectly happy, but the neoprene socks are worth their weight when they're occasionally needed.

A concrete example: during the previously mentioned days of snow, everyone in my group was wearing at least full-on, Gore-Tex lined hiking boots (some had even added Gore-Tex socks). By the end of the day, everyone had wet and cold shoes, socks, and feet. The only difference: hiking down from alpine the next day, my shoes and socks were dry and light by the end of the descent while everyone else still had water-laden foot gear.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

IT'S OKAY TO HAVE WET FEET!

When I'm with students on a Lightweight Skills course (NOLS or BPL) – and we come to a stream crossing . . .

The first thing I do is WALK INTO THE WATER. And while standing in the water I state that everything is fine, and it's sorta nice.

Then, my nylon trail runners are damp for a while, and when I get to that NEXT stream, I'm not in the least worried about getting my feet wet again.

I am very disapointed by folks who spend a rediculous amount of time avoiding wet feet, and even doing something dangerous, like a creepy walk across a log with sharp branches.

And – the think that (to me) just seems so lame, is carrying an EXTRA pair of shoes to cross rivers.

I repeat:
    IT'S OKAY TO HAVE WET FEET!

ANd, Hydropel helps a LOT to avoid pruney feet. THe fellow above in the forum has it right. Just a little
    at night, and maybe a little more in the morning.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

David, I totally understand where you are coming from.

Whilst the suggestions above (just let your feet get wet) is appropriate in many situations I don't agree that it should be the default response any time someone asks about keeping their feet dry.

Sure, if you are crossing rivers all day then just let your feet get wet. If you are walking in the rain all day, just let your feet get wet.

BUT in many areas rain is brief. Often I'm already in camp. Or the grass is wet with rain from the night before. In these situations I don't want to get my shoes and socks wet. It takes several hours for shoes to dry out properly even in warm weather, so why let them get wet if it can be easily avoided?

For my next trip I'm going to be rigging up some "shoe covers" from silnylon or similar. They won't surround the shoe completely, but will stop most of the rain/water from grass coming in through the top and sides. The plan is not to wear them in extended rain (several hours) but just for shorter periods of rain, walking through wet grass, or when it is raining in camp. Combined with some gaiters they should keep most of the rain out of my shoes most of the time.

Anyway, I will test it out and see what I come up with. I won't be getting away for another couple of months unfortunately but I've had this plan on the backburner for quite a while. They won't weigh much and will probably only be worn for 10-15 minutes at a time (or less). Even if I only use them in camp and during the night/morning they will be welcome.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

My partner and I share the same size foot, so we just carry one pair of (hole-less) crocs between the two of us. Problem solved for four ounces per person. Dry socks plus crocs=happy campers. For the odd occasion when we both need to be out of the tent at the same time in wet weather, we just use the aforementioned breadbags over socks and under wet boots.

Ashley, I thought you were based in Queenstown…I didn't think there was anywhere you could walk for even one day without crossing lots of rivers ;)

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Ha, no I'm in Sydney!!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> In these situations I don't want to get my shoes and socks wet.
    This is a preference thing, not a 'need' thing. Fair enough.

> It takes several hours for shoes to dry out properly even in warm weather, so why let them
    > get wet if it can be easily avoided?
    In warm weather my shoes and socks get steadily wet from sweat. But so what? The point of 'UL' is to focus on the things which are really needed.

> "shoe covers" from silnylon or similar. They won't surround the shoe completely,
    > but will stop most of the rain/water from grass coming in through the top and sides.
    This will be interesting.
    My first guess is that they won't be very effective at keeping water out.
    My second guess is that they will collect sweat inside them.
    My third guess is that they will get shredded if made of light sylnylon.
    My fourth guess is that by the third day you won't bother.
    But these are guesses, so we await a report with great interest. We want to know.

However, that said, I have done exactly the same thing to cover my joggers in the snow when wearing snowshoes. That did work fine, although I used PU-coated nylon in the hope it might breath just a little. It seemed to.
    .2615S

Cheers

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

My first guess is that they won't be very effective at keeping water out.
    My second guess is that they will collect sweat inside them.
    My third guess is that they will get shredded if made of light sylnylon.

I'm hoping these won't be issues for light use for short periods.

My fourth guess is that by the third day you won't bother.

This is likely to be the biggest problem. I will have to see if I can make it fuss free enough to slip them over quickly. Given that I get irritated by getting soaking wet feet from walking through wet grass (especially when it isn't raining!) I reckon I will be willing to take the time to put them on in these situations.

Occasional and temporary use only… kind of like an emergency poncho. Not breathable or durable and questionable in wind-blown rain, but it will do the job for short periods of time.

Anyway we'll see. I'll post a thread here when I've made some (which won't be for another couple of months before I head overseas on my next major trip).

Cheers, A

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

"Ha, no I'm in Sydney!!"

Oh well then enjoy your dry feet :0
    You DO get some wicked thunderstorms in that part of Oz though, so maybe your solution will work for those short spells of heavy rain. Like Roger, I can't see it working for prolonged wet walking though.

It's one of the nicest things about hiking in NZ…you know without a doubt that your feet will be wet all day, so you just learn to not even think about it ;) At least we can't complain about a shortage of water…!

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

To be a contrarian, IT'S NOT ALWAYS OK TO HAVE WET FEET!

I know that every year for the past many, on each of the triple crown trails, hikers have found this out. Immersion Foot (Trench Foot) happens. And it can be horrible.

I believe that Yeti on the CDT has it now (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=266426).

Also, IT'S NOT ALWAYS OK TO HAVE WET FEET if it's cold. Recently I did a fair amount of hiking through the snow in my trail runners. At 18,000ft in the Himalayas. It wasn't a good idea.

And also, it's a proven fact that wet shoes, sometimes, maybe, probably, cause blisters for some people.

MY personal experience is that I do well with wet shoes. I'm one of those who walks through creeks. The shoes are squishy for a few minutes, and and hour later they feel like they're drying out after a rain. I once hiked for about three weeks with soaking wet feet and had a fantastic time.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Yep, depends on your footwear and your feet whether you can tolerate wet feet.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools