Topic

June BPL Hike & Post Apri?????

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips June BPL Hike & Post Apri?????

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

i think you should say you are meeting up with a runaway high school dropout you met on an internet chatroom and that at your age, there are not many chances to hook up with a hot young cheerleader babe

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Nice Tony! They do allow dogs and that is great that you are bringing your family, my wife is attending too!

As for permits, the ranger station is located on the intersection of Hwy 108 and the turnoff for the Crabtree Th. I am not sure of the name but it is the ranger station near Pineflat.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I really want to go. If I use that excuse I will have to stay out forever! Decisions, decisions. And I'm only 42, oh crap I am old!

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

tell her you have two offers for the weekend – the one i mentioned & a backpack trip with the fellas, and you need her to help you decide which one to do…

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Dennis, actually once you reach the lake, all of the obvious spots are on the southern portion of the lake. If you were to go past all of the rocky outcrops above the lake, just before the outlet of the stream you will find some rather nice spots in the trees near the inlet. Big enough for groups.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Common Ken, you know that you want to go! I know that your drive is a long ways, but this is a nice hike and the mileage is only 3 miles. Even a tired soul can take a nap at the lake to rest up afterwards.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Folks keep in mind this trip also includes a bring an appetizer. List what you will be bringing so that others will not duplicate?

Jeremy, Cameron, Nate, Jay, Josh….are any of you interested in coming along????

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

But there's a lot up in the air right now. Have a friend visiting, tentatively, so not sure if the dates will collide….also planning a long hike this summer, so finalizing plans on that. I'll keep you posted though.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks for the reply Nathan. I'm sure I speak for all of us and hope that you come with us. If not, I am sure there will be more trips coming up. Thank you for your reply!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Emigrant Lake-8,822 ft

Sounds like a great time but I have friends in town on June 20th….I am going to Emigrant Lake on June 13-14th—-12.4 miles to Emigrant Lake from Kennedy Meadows. Going up Friday night(few quite ones) get up and go!!! No permit required… I got the itch bad to be in the Sierras!! TRT starting on July 2nd

NICE!!!!

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Please continue to count me in for Saturday night. I am still contemplating what food item to bring but I will be sure to post when I pin it down.

I was flipping through a book on the Emigrant Wilderness and its trails and I noticed that it mentions a one night camping limit at Bear Lake. This was written in 2004 so things may have changed. Just an FYI.

For those who have not been in the area before. You will want to look for the Summit Ranger District (Stanislaus National Forest) Station, located off 108 at the Pinecrest Lake Y, 30.1 miles above Sonora. Telephone # (209) 965-3434

Ken or anyone else who has been to the trailhead before: Is the road to the trailhead parking lot fully improved or is it dirt? If the road is not improved how bad is it? I have been to the Bell Meadow and Gianelli Cabin trailheads and they are a rough ride up fire access roads.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

someone remind me that's what i'm bringing when it gets closer ;)

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Jay, Perhaps I am missing something but as I understand it, Wilderness permits are required for overnight visitors in the Emigrant Wilderness.

Emigrant Lake looks great. I am also hoping to get there this summer.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

That's true David— but you can also just self-register at Pinecrest Ranger Station on HWY 108. Simple and easy!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks for posting the ranger station info Dave. As for the road to Crabtree, it is a dirt road that is a little bumpy. You can drive around 30 mph on it no problem. Not a fire road. As for the parking lot it is paved. I would not worry about the camping limits at Bear. I have never seen a ranger in Emmigrant in the backcountry. I think everyone except for Dennis is coming in on Sat. I will be coming from Fresno so I should be there in the early afternoon.

Bummer Jay, wish that you could make the trip! Have fun at Emmigrant Lake, nice place!!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I will be bringing Bruschetta

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I did run into a ranger out of Gianelli a couple of years ago. He wanted to see my permit. I had one, but don't know if he'd have cited me for not having one. I've never had a problem getting a permit – no quotas at least up to last year.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I'm leaning towards fresh tomatoes with ground tarragon. How many are sharing?

If I've still got room in my pack there's always Cracker Jack.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

We are thinking of bringing a layered bean drip and chips.

Also thinking of bringing something else…desert like.

Fresh tomatoes sounds good….add some fresh mozzerella cheese with it.

Yummmy!

-Tony

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Cary, would you be willing to bring your minnie grill? If so, I would love to toast some bread for the bruschetta

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Wow Richard! A ranger sighting in Emmigrant. Almost like seeing Sasquatch! Noticed you avatar says that you are from SF….you can join us if you'd like!

Still no quotas by the way.

For those that are going on the trip, you will get to meet my wife. Please take pity on here poor old sole. She has to put up with me and that in itself is a fulltime job! Some of you will note, that when you meet her, you will see that she is the oppo of me.

Cameron, Josh, Jeremy are any of you interested in attending???

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Ken: I can't make it this time, but thanks for the invite. Heading up to my Dad's with my kids for father's day that weekend. Have a good time though.

Re rangers, Tony and I were in Emigrant last year and ran into 2 rangers together. They were between Crabtree and Emigrant Lake, closer to Emigrant Lake. Can't remember for sure if they asked for our permit, but I believe they did. We had one, so no big deal. As others have said, they are free and no quota so no reason not to get one from the ranger station before heading down the dirt road to the trailhead.

Enjoy the trip.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

You all have fun up there.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Ken – an old (female) friend messaged last night that she is interested & may be coming on the trip. If so, I think this will be her first backpack trip, or first in a long time anyway (she loves camping and hiking). She's doing a backpack in July with her dad to Granite Lake, which is not too far from where we are going on this trip, so I suggested she could come along and try out some equipment (I'm letting her borrow equipment).

Am I right in assuming this would be a reasonable trip for a first-timer (not terribly difficult not terribly far, pretty, etc.)?

So, to answer your question Ken – Yes, I can bring the grill, can I also bring the girl?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Cary, the hike is real easy about 3 miles. The grade coming out of the trailhead is moderate at best. I think we gain 500 ft elevation all the way to the junction with the trail to Bear Lake. Granite Lake in comparison would be much tougher for her due to it being cross country and the elevation gain from Bear Lake to Granite Lake. She will be fine. The more the merrier!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools