Topic

2017 PNW GGG v 3.0

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2017 PNW GGG v 3.0

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Next post.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’m glad I copied and pasted my edit since the software completely deleted my comment.

Official Announcement updated 3/21/17.

The 2017 PNW/GGG will be at Millersylvania State Park site G1 starting August 13th and checking out August 15th.  I reserved the site for 20 of us in tents but there is an option to add campers if necessary.  There’s a kitchen area and 13 amp electrical on site with a bathroom nearby.

From what was explained to me, this is a walk-in site.  There’s some confusion as to how many vehicles are allowed, their website showing only one.  I called the park itself and they assured me that multiple vehicles were fine.  If you’d like to join, please either respond here or email me at ianbloom87 at gmail dot com with both your party size and number of vehicles.  From what was explained to me, they will give me all of the vehicle permits and I’ll hand them out at the campsite.

Total cost is just under $150.  If you’d like to kick in to the cause, you can send a donation to the aforementioned email through PayPal.  Like the first time on the Oly peninsula, any surplus will go to firewood.  If you can’t afford to kick in, please come anyways.

I’d like to coordinate a group multi day hike either just before or after this event but I’m seeing the doc tomorrow and am unsure of what my hiking prospects are going to be like this summer, so I’ll let someone else take the lead on that.  For me personally, I’m not free to hike on the 9th or 19th.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The proposed location would work for me and I would attend if possible.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’m in.

And, FWIW, henceforth, I prefer to be known as ….. Water Bear. (and yes, I do look like that after a bottle of scotch…)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That was fun last year, too bad it rained so much, I’ll try to attend this year

Millersylvania is a good idea.  I’ve camped there before.  Nothing super wild or anything but that’s not the point.  There are some trails around at least for some exercise.

Would that be the group area?  I bet that it get’s reserved up.  There’s a kitchen shelter area in case it rains.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I suspect Jerry’s right.  I’ve spent some time on the reservation website and every day in July and August is either red (unavailable) or yellow (doesn’t match criteria).  I called their 1-888 reservation number and they couldn’t explain why there were multiple days in a row that the group site shows up as yellow and is not available for reservation even though we’re inside the nine month window.

They suggested I call the campground directly which resulted in me leaving a voice message requesting assistance.

I don’t think Millersylvania is going to work out for those two months.

I’ll keep looking.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I’m in for this year as long as I am not traveling.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That’s great to hear Doug, Ken, Jerry, and Michael.

I looked on the Federal reservation website and nothing jumped out at me as being a good option between Seattle and Portland.

The few that are left in Washington are filling up quick.  I’m going to tentatively shoot for making a reservation for wherever on the week of 3/27.  In the meantime, I’ll post the options as I find them.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I need to do more research but Atkisson Group Campsite looks promising.

It’d be $150 for two nights and they have availability in July (I’m thinking 14th, 15th, check out the morning of the 16th).  It’s close to the Ape Caves and some other neat attractions in the Mt. St. Helens area.

Thoughts?

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

For me, I am in Montana from 15 July to 5 August. I can join before or after for the GGG.

Also doing a circumnavigation of glacier peak the week of 21 August if others are interested in joining. Just pm me.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Well today we pulled a big seki permit for late aug/ early sept so as long as the dates work, im there.

I have no input on location except for “in the sun”.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Depending on date, I’m in.

If you go off the I-5 corridor a bit, and aren’t concerned about having hiking trails, check out Seaquest State Park, or Ike Kinswa State Park.  Just looking at a map, don’t know much about facilities.

Schaeffer State Park between Elma and Montesano has a great group site, we’ve used it for several office get togethers.  I’d have suggested it long ago, save for the fact that there are *no* hiking trails nearby that are worth a spit.

Bill has said that he has to get back into getting outside, so with luck, he’ll come too!

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

If the dates work out, I’m in. As with Jeffs, I got a BSL permit for late August.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I’ve camped at Ike Kinswa and Seaquest, both fairly good but not wild.  Ike Kinswa is probably better.  That would also be a little closer to Yakima

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Millersylvania called me back.  The group site is available August 13th-16th, and August 27th-1st.

I can take leave so M-F is fine for me but may not be for others.

Edit for clarification: the GGG would be three days two nights.

Discuss.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Those dates are good for me

Aug 13 to 16 is Sunday to Wednesday

August 27 to Sept 1 is Sunday to Friday

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Aug 13-16th is the start of my vacation, and since I had to scuttle plans to hike the Tahoe Rim Trail, this works as well as anything. Might be able to con Bill into roadtripping on the Ural.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, has to sing me happy birthday, in person, if we do it Aug. 13-16.

But I’m good with either dates.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Those dates also work for me. Happy to take off work. It’s August in the PNW. Work should be optional.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

If we sing you happy birthday, will you bring the movie screen?

I’ll supply the Jiffy Pop!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Sure!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Werks fer me.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’m not entirely sure of August plans right now, but if I’m around, then I’ll be there!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

We have to be in cali by aug23 so i will be able to assuming monies and time off and all line up (well, yeah). I wont know for sure till prolly late july/ aug unfourtunately.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

It’s official.  BPL/PNW/GGG v 3.0 will be at Millersylvania Park group site 1 starting August 13th and checking out the morning of August 15th.  I’ll update the second post with full details.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools