Topic

2017 PNW GGG v 3.0

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2017 PNW GGG v 3.0

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Okay, how about PNW Backpackers’ Get Together (or Gathering, or Social).

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

We could honor a fallen BPL’er and call it “The Jen Mitol Supper Club.” She’s not from the NW but she was eaten; that seems worthy.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Ha!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

The pnw nonsense council.

Next meeting will be held this august.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Shenanigans committee?

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ian,

I hope to make it. It falls the day after my Dad leaves after a week long visit and a week before I hope to be joining Michael for a walk around Glacier Peak, so it might get tight at work. My boss (me) can get pretty neurotic about so much leave so close together.

Ned

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I hope you can make it Ned.  If not, let’s get together for a hike later this summer.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

Name: BPLooza

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

HERE is the tent I will be in, I also have a slightly smaller version for backpacking in case anyone wants to come by and see if it’s a tent they have not seen in person but were thinking of buying ;)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That is a sweet ol’ tent.

I do hope you make it as I’d love to finally meet you.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I assume the drapery is cuben and the supports are CF…

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Thanks Ian I’m trying, I have the time off then I just have to see if it will fit into the rest of my plans, and it would be very nice to meet you and everyone else also and of course Doug!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Yes Doug, it looks like real logs for the supports but actually they are indeed carbon fiber and of course titanium lanterns :)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Doug’s Hobo-mobile will have some serious competition for 2017’s “Not UL but awesome anyways” award.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Geez, and I thought that Bill and I had it palatial when we brought our big tent to the first one!  This year, I’m hoping we can pack the Ural motorcycle and sidecar rig for camping, so ours will be quite a bit smaller.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Bummed I’m gonna miss it this year. The Permit Gods demanded a sacrifice!

Throwing this out there: I would love to do some sort of winter-ish PNW GGG thing: 1. Because I know nothing about it and want to learn from those of you who do. 2. No conflicts with summer trips 3. a lot of darkness = a lot of good socializing time.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Diane,

Words cannot begin to describe how excited I am to check out the Ural.  There’s one in our parking lot but I suspect the owner would frown on me sitting in the side car wearing googles and a Soviet era helmet yelling “Vroom vroom comrades!” at the top of my lungs.  Now that I think of it, there’s a strong possibility that you and every camper within ear shot may object too.

Katherine,

That would be cool.  A few of us have discussed ski/snow trips here in Washington but, at least for me, it’s mostly been talk.  I only need to make a couple additions to my kit to be prepared for temps approaching zero.  One of my thoughts was to ski a handful of miles north on the PCT starting at White Pass to wherever for a shake down trip before taking on anything much more ambitious.

I’ll have to re-run the terrain profile again but if memory serves, this area isn’t avalanche prone and below tree line.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“3. a lot of darkness = a lot of good socializing time.”

Not so much in winter, unfortunately. It’s generally so fricking cold that you don’t really care about sitting around socializing – you climb into your sack early to stay warm. Perhaps if you set your shelters up really, really close to each other it might work.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

“Perhaps if you set your shelters up really, really close to each other it might work.”

Or one of us bites the bullet for the team and buys one of those 16/24 person Seek Outside teepees complete with wood stove.  Sadly, and rightly so, it’s no small investment.

Doug snores.  Actually I snore but this is my way of diverting attention by denying everything and making counter accusations.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Purchasing the shelter could be penance for all the snoring.

Maybe we find a fire lookout for the winter, or that Tilley jane Cabin.  Annoyingly,the entry was carelessly written by a noob, unconcerned with authenticity.

http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Tilly_Jane_Trailhead

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That author is a loose cannon.

A warm cabin would be sweet.  There’s a hut to hut ski option in Eagle Cap I’d love to do.  I’m planning on hiking it this summer and haven’t been there yet, but the pictures I’ve seen make it look like the Swiss alps.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Second year in a row where Daryl Squared is conspicuously absent from the conversation.  I swear… I ran around the camp only once in a loin cloth but this guy won’t let it go.

Come camp with us Daryl.  It won’t be the same without you.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I’ve retired the baby wraps. I promise I won’t let Ian repurpose them again.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Greatest Gathering of Greatness.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

GGGGGGG

Great Green Globs (of) Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools