Topic

Point Reyes Trip January 24th-Please Read

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Point Reyes Trip January 24th-Please Read

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

To all that have expressed interest in the trip to Point Reyes on January 24th. I booked a group site at Wildcat Camp today for up to 14 hikers at $30. If we exceed this amount, we have the abilitiy of increasing our group to 25 hikers, on or before the day of the hike if need be. The increase is only another $10 so that is no big deal. I am working right now, but I will go through the two threads that have been started about this hike, and list them, and pm all that have expressed interest in attending. I'd do this now, but I am working and cannot do this at the moment. Just to clarify, we will head out from the Palomarin trailhead and camp at Wildcat. The next day we pack up and head to the Bear Valley Visitor Center to finish the hike. Post hike burgers and beers would be nice. If anyone knows of a In & Out Burger that could be even better (Jay???). Or if those attending are vegetarians or vegans we can modify plans. The hike the first day is around 6.5 miles (mostly flat) and the second day is around 5.5 with some elevation gain out of Wildcat Camp. No fires are allowed at the campsites but you are allowed to get a fire permit for a beach fire. Only driftwood can be burned, so I dunno about this option. We will need some autos for shuttle, and I will use my Honda CRV as one of them that can hold 5. It is a 20 minute or so drive between the two trailheads, just to let you know.

Please respond to this thread if you are still interested, or if you would like to attend and have just seen this thread, you can attend too. Just let me know. This will be a nice chance for many of us who live in or around the Bay Area to do a meet and greet and may be have some future trips this summer.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Well there is a total of 19 that expressed interest in going. I will be pm'ing everyone to guage their desire to go or not. If we do total 19 or a little more then I will expand the reservation for others to join. Please keep in mind that if a winter storm hits that weekend then I will not go. Hiking in thunderstorms in the Sierra's is one thing. A winter storm North of San Francisco would just be too miserable. So let's cross our fingers!!!!!!

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Me and my 13 year old son will be going. Care to carpool Ken?
    Sounds good.
    Josh

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Ken, Thanks for all the time you put into putting this hike together. [Good karma will be in your pack]
    The closes In & Out Burger is in Marin of Hwy 101 I will do some more research. What ever happened to Crucifix a great Bay Area band?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Yeah, Please no storms. Too hard to get back behind The Redwood Curtain! Looking forward to putting actual faces to you all!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

The Response has been great. Should be a great hike.

Josh, carpool is done. Jay, Crucifix? What do you need? Have all. There are some good places to eat on the way from Point Reyes back to 101. So if not In and Out then there is other places. Ken.. lets keep on hoping for the weather.

Folks if this does not work then I will figure something else out.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Ken and others,

Count me in!

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

I'm in for January 24th.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Sign me up to go!

Will be great to meet some fellow BPLer's.

-Tony

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Great guys glad you can make it!!!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Mr. Wong tell us more about your wifey. Are should we just wait for a good camp fire talk. Oh ya no fires at Pt. Reyes!!!

William Duke

@nkm1981

and driftwood isn't a problem, usually.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

still hoping to find someone to ride with – i'm coming from sacramento

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Ken,

What's the latest head count?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Cary, take the train to SF or something and I will get ya. We'd love to have you!!

Dennis the folks that have confirmed is around 12-15 off of the top of my head. If it exceeds the amount of the $30 permit then it is another $10 to add more. This is not a big deal. I would guess that that as the hike draws closer, there'll be more fleshed out. Here's to hoping that this weekend is good to go with the weather. I'd love to meet all of you folks. I'd really like to make some connections with others for some hikes this summer!!!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Sounds like a plan. Re: number for Pt.Reyes trip, I want to make sure I carry enough chocolate.

michelle Annett

@andrewz

My girlfriend and myself that is if she can get off the work and school are both interested in coming. I live up in Oakhurst in the sierra nevadas and i am wondering how far of a drive is point reyes from me? Also is any one from up were i live or next to going on down there? and want to car pool?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Happy New Year All! I'm sitting with my noise shy dogs and see we have a dozen or so going. It should be a great start to the '09 season. I am coming down from Fortuna on the 101. if anyone needs ride along that way let me know. It would be nice to have some company along the way. Ken, thanks for putting this together. I would like to park at the Bear Valley end. I can shuttle 7 total at hikes end, if that helps with logistics. Seems like most are nearer the Palomarin trailhead. Can't wait! I think I'll start packing!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Regarding the apre hike lunch: might I suggest Moylans Micro Brewery, in Novato? Good food and a variety of beers, with easy access from Pt.Reyes, Hwy. 101 and Hwy. 37. I have eaten there many times and recommend it as a possible choice for our BPL Pt. Reyes trip.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Sounds good Dennis. Post beers are always welcomed!!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Andrew, Carry is coming from Sac. or Oakhurst maybe?? Anyhow pm him. His post is just above ours. From Oakhurst to Point Reyes is about 4 hours or so????

Take Hwy 580 into the Bay Area, where it joins Hwy 80, cross the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge and that puts you right on the way to Point Reyes. 4 hours seems about right

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

No problem Dennis. We will figure out logistics closer to the hike. This will be fun. As much as we need rain, I just hope for a weekend of sunshine!

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I just learned of this trip and would have loved to join but have other commitments for that whole weekend. I was wondering if this was an annual thing or is it a first time event?

I'd love to hear about any other trips being planned for 2009.

Thanks.

Dennis

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

First time event Dennis. Ken organized it all- I am sure there will be a lot more hikes to come because of the number of BPL members that live in SF Bay Area.

-Jay

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I will be joining you guys with a friend, but we won't be able to make it out to the trailhead until about 3pm, so we'll catch up and get to camp by sundown, hopefully.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools