Topic

2016 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2016 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

“I’m looking at White Pass and wondering if it would be firm enough without snowshoes in the early morning before deteriorating in the sun.”

There’s some good pics of White Pass from 2013 here:
    backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/77856/

That year I had snowshoes but never put them on. On the west side of pass (around noon as I recall) I did posthole for 50′ and considered the snowshoes but those conditions were short lived. The winter snowpack will probably be firm enough that you’ll be okay but it also doesn’t take a lot of post holing to offset the savings of not bring snowshoes.

I’d be more concerned about whatever pass you’re taking over the Swan range, since the western mountains get a lot more snow.

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Locale: Front Range

Thanks Dan.  I’m currently debating taking the southern route around the Swan range and circumventing having to make a pass.  I’ve still got some route scouting to do on Google Earth this week.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Tanner did some scouting and let me know that the west side of Bean Lake is a better spot to camp than the south side, which is the place the campground is marked on most maps. So meet there Friday or Monday. There is a pit toilet, but no water, and little shelter from the wind. Apparently the bit of dirt road shortcutting from Bean down to 200 is in rough shape, while the stretch from Augusta is fine.

Tanner K
    BPL Member

@tannerk

Locale: Montana

Yes- the road from 200 to Bean is pretty muddy. Definitely drivable but if you can avoid it I’m sure the local folks would appreciate it.

I think Dave is going to get what he asked for. I can see fresh snow around 7000′ in the southern Swans today. Advisory is saying up to 2 feet in the mountains by Monday. Next weekend looks warmer but still wet. Time to try to get stoked for a mud bath out there.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Last year we crossed white river pass in the afternoon and there was very little postholing. Just a few shin deep steps on the top of the ridge.

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

Locale: La Sierra Gorda

Chase, if you’re reading this, can I borrow your fat bike? Just FEDEX it to the Cummings Cabin near Lincoln.

On a more serious note: What is the Indian Point shelter like (east of White River Pass)? Can one go inside?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Some interesting snotel readings since early this morning. It’s been raining hard here in the Flathead for 15 hours and doesn’t look to be slowing down.

The last 72 hours of weather (cool days, warm nights, rain, no sun) are ideal for creating horrible postholing conditions. Saturated snow and no freeze-thaw crust.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

very interesting indeed; at Badger Pass it must be mostly rain, no noticeable increase in snow depth recorded- same here for the Elk Horns- looks like we lost vs gained snow (for the time being anyways), but you’re spot on what snow remains (and any new accumulation) could be awfully soft

in other news, Kevin has backed out- he had knee surgery late winter and it hasn’t healed to where he’s comfortable with this sort of endeavor- so appears I will be going solo

Derek- Indian Point is a small FS patrol cabin, if unoccupied I don’t see any reason you couldn’t sleep on the porch???, it will be locked with signs saying for official use only

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

Mike, is the Buckhorn Bar still a go?

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

Indian Point cabin in 2014. Not much in the way of shelter on the porch. Also, this was in August; a string of mules arrived just after I took this picture, so it was in use. Out of season, they usually have anti-bear measures in place, which include a 3’x5′ plank of spikes in front of the door.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Derek- Yup- we’ll still be at the Buckhorn Friday evening; Kevin’s coming up as well as John and Thad

^ yup, that’s the “basic” patrol cabin :)- just enough overhang to keep rain off

Mike

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

If anyone happens to go by Indian Point and sees an orange bivy with an unresponsive occupant, please feel free to give it a nudge. Looks like a nice place for a nap.

Chase Medina
    Spectator

@thexplorer

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Derek, I’m here. Haven’t missed a thread post, usually open them all up at the end of the day. Sure, does Fedex insure unsigned package deliveries over $6,000?

Dan D, that’s unfortunate you won’t be able to attend The Open this year and must join the e-hikers. +1 to Derek’s post; you’re an inspiration to me for sure, see you next year.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Impressive snow totals in last 24 hours.  Good stuff.

Edit: Got out in Glacier a bit this afternoon and the volume going through the creeks and streams is quite impressive. With the ground saturated and the rain only set to continue through the weekend it’d be a good time to remind everyone to have plenty of contingency plans for any unexpected difficulties encountered en route. Make sure your route plan has alternates and bail points should (for instance) a stream prove uncrossable, and make sure you’ll be able to get extracted if you bail. Good potential for creek crossing issues well exceeding those seen in any past year.

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Looks like the snowshoes will be on my pack.

I posted a new thread in Pre-Trip Planning about an easy loop or day hikes in the Bob or Glaicer (or…) for the week after the finish.  Not much time to sort out the last-minute change to stay for a week, especially with the planning I’ve had to do for the Open.  I may have to try to find a second pair of light snowshoes for Amy.

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Yeah, still not packing snowshoes.  Even with the latest snow, there is still less than last year and I didn’t use them at all (probably should have at one point but was too lazy to put them on).  Our route has fewer and lower passes this year.

Tanner K
    BPL Member

@tannerk

Looks to me like the majority of the moisture from this storm stayed north of where everyone is likely to be this year. I see small bumps if anything in the SF Flathead, Sun forks, and Dearborn while the MF and NF are showing significant spikes.

Snotel data suggests the same with an inch or so of SWE in the Bob and 2 feet of snow (nearly 4 inches SWE) on Flattop in Glacier.

That being said, Dave’s warning is valid about creek crossings. I’ll never forget Dean Creek in 2014.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

the weather in the Flathead and in Glacier has made national news- holy moly moisture!!!

Jason P
    BPL Member

@jpopilsky

Hi Everybody….  Does anybody know how to get a hold of Seth?  He is our ride and wanted to touch base with him before we head up to Cedar Creek and I haven’t heard from him.  Also, We are rafting the South Fork en route to the finish.  Are water levels good for a Basin Creek to Little Salmon float?  Thanks!

Seth Cunningham
    BPL Member

@seththesailor

Jason

Just sent you a PM.  I kept getting weird reply emails from BPL, so wasn’t sure if you got my other messages, but apparently not…  Maybe you will get this one.  I seem to get PM’s from you, so If not, PM me your email and we can bypass BPL.

Lets plan to meet up around 9:00 am on Friday at Cedar Creek if that works for you.

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

Finally! The Benchmark forecast on Wunderground has been updated to reflect no rain on Saturday and Sunday! I will now shut my computer and not look at another forecast for the next several days. I suppose it’s also an opportunity to leave all my rain gear at home and replace it in my pack with a jar of sunblock. What SPF is recommended for The Bob? I just hope it’s not too hot this weekend. That would suck.

See you guys Friday.

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

With all the weight you’ll save without rain gear, you can bring a bottle of all SPFs, 8-100, just in case.

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

Newbie question here.

With the looks of it there are going to be quite a lot of stream crossings and frequently. Just wondering who brings river shoes, or if you just go for it in your hiking shoes and walk them dry or what? I have a pair of Hydroskins 0.5mm but have never hiked in them. Any thoughts.

Thanks

John N
    BPL Member

@airlocksniffer

Wet feet are a reality in the Bob in the spring time.  Last year I spend the first half day trying to avoid getting my feet soaked.  By day three I was purposefully standing in the streams to ease my aching feet.  My personal opinion is that if you try to change into river shoes for every crossing you’ll add a whole day to your trip (slight exaggeration).  My feet got pretty cracked from maceration last year so this year I’m applying Bonnie’s Balm at night.  Dry sleep socks are a must.  I’ll probably also try to take off my shoes and socks when we take an extended break.  15 minutes to air out will do a lot to prevent cracking.  Something dry is nice for the end of the day.  I’ll pack some Costco plastic bags (from the meat department) for some UL camp shoes.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Derek- then you probably don’t want to look at his forecast :)  this is a NWS point forecast for 27 Miles ENE Condon MT 47.61°N 113.14°W (Elev. 7997 ft)

Scott- I agree with everything John said, no feasible way to keep your feet dry- you’ll lose track of the number of creek crossings and often the trail itself is running water.

I’m going to throw my Hydroskins in; I don’t have many miles on mine so don’t how trusting of them I am as far as hotspots, etc, but they are going in

Mike

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools